Stevens Point Invite

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #12216
      Vincent Vega
      Member

      This site has the final Men’s standings as:
      Gustavus
      UW Lacrosse
      Stevens Point
      St Olaf

      Stevens Point site has the final standings listed differently
      UW Lacrosse
      Gustavus
      St Olaf
      Stevens Point

      Which is correct?

    • #33820

      The UWSP standings are the correct ones–I think the site ones are from after the first night.

    • #33821
      Kari Byron
      Member

      Wrong. Gustavus won on the Men’s side by a 7 point margin. It was a close meet with GAC needing to make up 12 points in the 400 Free Relay to overtake UW Lacrosse. GAC’s “A” won the relay and their “B” did well enough to secure them a victory for the invite.

    • #33822

      Gustavus finished second to UW La Crosse.

      UW La Crosse 807.5
      Gustavus 799
      St. Olaf 508.5
      Sevens Point 734.5
      Mankato 415.5

      Here’s the link:
      http://www.uwsp.edu/athletics/swimming/2006-07/satfinals.htm

      [/url]

    • #33823
      iknowall
      Member

      That doesn’t look quite right. Let’s try again.

      1. Uw-La Crosse: 807.5
      2. Gustavus Adolphus:799
      3. St. Olaf College: 751.5
      4. Uw-Stevens Point: 734.5
      5. Minnesota State University: 415.5

    • #33824
      middie07
      Member

      Thanks, inknowall, for posting correct scores. Which leads to the question: where the hell did Jaydubswimmer get their scores? And also note Ben Wareham was absent for Saturday finals and Nate Bentley did not swim at the meet. So take those scores with a grain of salt. And by the way, congrats to Matt Stewart and Adam Meyer who were hands down the swimmers of the meet (from the MIAC).

    • #33825

      There were some really ugly looking swims at this meet. But I think that is to be expected since everyone should be really broken down from intense training. I would be much more worried for the people who were swimming well.

      My prediction: We will see some insane times at conference.

    • #33826
      silentp
      Member

      @middie07 wrote:

      Thanks, inknowall, for posting correct scores. Which leads to the question: where the hell did Jaydubswimmer get their scores? And also note Ben Wareham was absent for Saturday finals and Nate Bentley did not swim at the meet. So take those scores with a grain of salt. And by the way, congrats to Matt Stewart and Adam Meyer who were hands down the swimmers of the meet (from the MIAC).

      Come on? Someone has to say it, GAC will win conferences and it won’t even be that close, at least 50 points. Olaf will outscore GAC (by quite a bit) at NCAAs and is an easy 6th in my mind, but at MIACs, it will be GAC easily.

      Some great times i look forward to seeing in a few weeks at the meet, especially from Stewart and Westby… also see is Marschall can again fly under everyone’s radar and step up with great times, that 200 IM will be awesome to see. I am also interested to see how Adam Meyer tapers, that kid is flat out impressive.

      For the ladies, i think it’s going to be 1 hell of a 3way meet, maybe this dual with Carleton (this coming weekend) will tell us at least a little something.

    • #33827

      For fantasy league reasons, can someone who went to the meet share with us who was on the GAC/Olaf relays? I’ve got Nick Deleuw and Tyler Wakefield on my team, and have some obvious concerns about them scoring on relays this year.

      On a related note, Jonah Winter posted some nice sprint freestyle times. Does he taper well?

    • #33828
      iknowall
      Member

      Silent p…Can you tell us why you think GAC will run away with the Conference meet. I just don’t see how Steven’s Point proves, well, your point.

    • #33829
      silentp
      Member

      @iknowall wrote:

      Silent p…Can you tell us why you think GAC will run away with the Conference meet. I just don’t see how Steven’s Point proves, well, your point.

      Stevens Point doesn’t prove much, but i’m just look at the facts in the simplest way:
      GAC won by 60-some last year.
      GAC lost 1 semi-major swimmer
      Olaf lost at least 2 (not labeled on the website)
      GAC got a better freshman class

      St. Olaf may improve, they may swim better, but if the spread is put at 50 pts, i’ll take the over.

      What’s the case for Olaf winning?

    • #33830

      I am going to support SilentP here. GAC takes conference and here’s why. Write down what every swimmer scored last year on each team and compare them side by side. Notice that the top part of each team score relatively the same amount of points. However, when you get down to the bottom, you can see where those 60 points GAC won by are. The difference between the bottom half of GAC and the bottom half of Olaf are huge.
      In short, it does not matter how fast people like Westby or Hanson or Stewart go, they do not win the meet. Conference meet is won through depth. GAC clearly has a deeper team than Olaf does and therefore will win the meet again this year.

    • #33831

      I think it will be interesting to see what swimmers make the final cuts with Olaf and GAC. I know Jon has sometimes used meets near the end of January to pick his final couple spots. And those guys taper for those races. Some past guys have shown HUGE drops.

      Did any GAC guys taper for Stevens Point? Did any Ole’s?

      What about diving? Has anything changed with that? Olaf usually schools GAC in diving, but I couldn’t tell you the name of any diver since Kyle Rudser graduated.

    • #33832
      swim5599
      Member

      Some sluggish swims it looked like except for Stewart who really swam well. I was also really impressed with GAC’s 400 fr 3:09 is really good for a beat up swim.

    • #33833
      Look Up
      Member

      To respond to..
      @silentp wrote:

      Stevens Point doesn’t prove much, but i’m just look at the facts in the simplest way:
      GAC won by 60-some last year.
      GAC lost 1 semi-major swimmer
      Olaf lost at least 2 (not labeled on the website)
      GAC got a better freshman class

      and

      @backstroker02 wrote:

      However, when you get down to the bottom, you can see where those 60 points GAC won by are. The difference between the bottom half of GAC and the bottom half of Olaf are huge.

      When looked at amount of aid they will provide at conference, I have to wonder how helpful the Gac Freshman will be. Since Gac’s depth is already more established ( as backstroker02 pointed out) than Olaf’s, how many Gac freshman will contribute to the Gac Conference team.

      Looking at the S.P. Results and top times in MIAC as of today, I would say that the Olaf freshman will do more to improve the depth of their team than the Gac Freshman (Example: Ole frosh have more top 16 finishes and times than Gac Frosh). This will certainly help close that 60 point gap.

      It is still necessary for some of olaf’s lower ranked veterans to step up to the plate, but we’ve seem some excellent improvement from Meyer (not necessarily lower ranked, but a good example) this season, so why not other’s? Although Gac’s guys could improve just as well.

      AS of now, I don’t think there is a clear outcome. It’ll come down to whichever team wants it more.

    • #33834

      I agree, GAC freshmen will not influence their conference roster as much as Olafs will. Since GAC only had one senior graduate last year, they didn’t have much room on their roster open up. Given that Skyler Davis will make the roster, meaning any other freshman would have to replace someone on l ast years roster. I believe that there are only two freshman going to make the roster, Skyler Davis and Ross Elenkiwich. Ross will likely replace either Luke Weyandt or Tyler Wakefield.

    • #33835
      middie07
      Member

      Oh my dear sweet Jesus. backstroker02 has been quick to discuss the merits of the Gustavus freshmen; who, as near as I can tell, consist of Skler Davis. He may be the best distance swimmer in Conference, but it is essentially impossible for him to outscore the Ole freshmen (Jessop, Wagner, Bentley, Edwards) unless they provide an abyssmal meet. Let’s also look at upper-classmen: Koch, Meyer, Westby, Kukla, Anderson, Wareham, Thomas vs. the GAC roster of Hansen, Stewart, Amundson, Hagermeyer, Ziegler. I will grant this: a close meet. It is odd to me, however, that backstroker02 and the usual “ole hater” of silentP were so quick to use SP scores as evidence of an easy GAC victory. Look at past scores, if you can find them. Olaf has never been close at this meet. So being within 48 without Wareham at Saturday finals and Bentley at all is an interesting note. So silentP, use logic instead of innate hatred of Olaf for future posts. We’ll all benefit. KICK ASS HAMLINE!

    • #33836
      silentp
      Member

      @middie07 wrote:

      Oh my dear sweet Jesus. backstroker02 has been quick to discuss the merits of the Gustavus freshmen; who, as near as I can tell, consist of Skler Davis. He may be the best distance swimmer in Conference, but it is essentially impossible for him to outscore the Ole freshmen (Jessop, Wagner, Bentley, Edwards) unless they provide an abyssmal meet. Let’s also look at upper-classmen: Koch, Meyer, Westby, Kukla, Anderson, Wareham, Thomas vs. the GAC roster of Hansen, Stewart, Amundson, Hagermeyer, Ziegler. I will grant this: a close meet. It is odd to me, however, that backstroker02 and the usual “ole hater” of silentP were so quick to use SP scores as evidence of an easy GAC victory. Look at past scores, if you can find them. Olaf has never been close at this meet. So being within 48 without Wareham at Saturday finals and Bentley at all is an interesting note. So silentP, use logic instead of innate hatred of Olaf for future posts. We’ll all benefit. KICK ASS HAMLINE!

      Why does everyone assume I hate Olaf? I am merely looking at facts people. Say what you will about me, in a few weeks time, I will be right and everyone will ignore it because we’ll be talking about NCAAs where Olaf will outscore GAC.

      I am also more biased on the women’s side, it’s the men’s side i look at more objectively.

    • #33837

      Olaf has the superior freshman class.

      Using points from my sweet fantasy league, which is based off of regular season times in each swimmers top 3 events. Furthermore, I only see 3 GAC freshman making the conference roster. Olaf will have 4 freshman make significant contributions. It’s increadible to see the gap in recruiting between the haves, and the have-nots. Too bad SJU did not have a better class. Olaf will challenge GAC in 08′.

      Olaf 156
      GAC 117
      SMU 21
      Hamline 16
      SJU 14

      Skylar Davis FY GAC 65
      Nate Bentley FY ST OLAF 45
      Mike Jessop FY ST OLAF 43
      C.J. Wagner FY ST OLAF 32
      Landon Seebart FY ST OLAF 24
      Andrew Michelson FY GAC 21
      John Fox FY ST MARYS 21
      Ross Elenkiwich FY GAC 17
      William Khoury-Hanold FY HAMLINE 12
      Brock Edwards FY ST OLAF 12
      Jeremy Melby FY GAC 6
      Jonathan Frank FY ST JOHNS 6
      Neil Wackwitz FY ST JOHNS 6
      Teddy Paterson FY HAMLINE 4
      Casey Enevoldsen FY GAC 4
      Luke Paquin FY GAC 4
      Bobby Chapman FY ST JOHNS 2
      Reid Peloquin FY GAC 1

    • #33838
      sharkboy
      Member

      The facts show: GAC graduated one swimmer from last year’s conference team, Jeff Pearson, who scored 44 pts. Pearson will surely be replaced by Davis, who is likely to score about 50 pts (average 2nd place pts in 3 events). GAC scored 867 points last year and they will swim an almost identical lineup this year and likely score about the same or a little better at 870-75.

      I think it is likely Olaf has 17 swimmers score in 3 events (plus diving), which should equate to more points than last year’s lineup, therefore the meet will be as close and probably closer than last year’s meet.

    • #33839

      Hmmm… you didnt read my post too carefully did you middie?

      @middie07 wrote:

      Oh my dear sweet Jesus. backstroker02 has been quick to discuss the merits of the Gustavus freshmen; who, as near as I can tell, consist of Skler Davis. He may be the best distance swimmer in Conference, but it is essentially impossible for him to outscore the Ole freshmen (Jessop, Wagner, Bentley, Edwards) unless they provide an abyssmal meet.

      @backstroker02 wrote:

      I agree, GAC freshmen will not influence their conference roster as much as Olafs will.

      @middie07 wrote:

      It is odd to me, however, that backstroker02 and the usual “ole hater” of silentP were so quick to use SP scores as evidence of an easy GAC victory.

      Not once did I mention the scores at Stevens Point.

      I will use shrakboys post to futher defend my position.
      @sharkboy wrote:

      The facts show: GAC graduated one swimmer from last year’s conference team, Jeff Pearson, who scored 44 pts. Pearson will surely be replaced by Davis, who is likely to score about 50 pts (average 2nd place pts in 3 events). GAC scored 867 points last year and they will swim an almost identical lineup this year and likely score about the same or a little better at 870-75.

      I think it is likely Olaf has 17 swimmers score in 3 events (plus diving), which should equate to more points than last year’s lineup, therefore the meet will be as close and probably closer than last year’s meet.

      I agree, GAC will score very very similar to last year and it is my belief that Olaf will too. Losing Glineburg was a lot of points for them. I think the new freshmen at Olaf will net the same amount of points as Glineburg did last year. (By net I mean their total points minus the points scored last year by the people they replaced).

      That is why I believe that GAC will win by around the same number of points as last year.

    • #33840

      So who makes it for GAC? Sky-Dave, Michelson, and Dr. Galackowitz?

      I’m surprised SJU does not have a better team. They are so good in so many other sports, and it is not like there is a shortage of swimming talent in the northwestern 94 corridor (St. Cloud, Sartell, Alexandria).

      Their pool is probably second to GACs (not counting St. Kates) in the MIAC… I actually like the SJU pool better than GAcs. And since it is guys only, you have more lanes for men’s practice.

      For gambling purposes, I’ll need to do some more research of course, but my initial instinct is to set the line at GAC -40… Over-under on points is 869. USA Today’s Danny Sheridan I think has GAC at -43, O/U 872.

    • #33841

      This was already talked about in another section, it was a interesting to say the least, probably should not be brought up again. As for only guys in practice, I don’t think that is true. I believe St. Ben’s uses the same facilities to Practice (they do for meets). Can anyone confirm this or correct me?

    • #33842
      The15mMark
      Member

      @Its all an ACT wrote:

      As for only guys in practice, I don’t think that is true. I believe St. Ben’s uses the same facilities to Practice (they do for meets). Can anyone confirm this or correct me?

      As far as I know, both teams practice at the SJU facility, but at separate times. So to the extent of my knowledge, the teams do indeed practice separately.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.