SJU in trouble?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #12796

      I know we talked about SJU losing a lot of seniors. Well, not only that, but after two meets, it looks like Jonathon Frank and Kevin Kubat are officially not swimming. Anyone know what happened to these guys? They transfer? Contract SARS? Get Mono? Kicked off campus?

      Wonderboy, Mini-chub? Do some research? Put Steger on the case. Or call up Pat Haws.

      Here are the Johnny invite results…

      http://www.gojohnnies.com/swimdive/CSBSJUFallInvitationalIndividual.htm

      Couple notes:
      Josh Swenson looks pretty good, but SJU looks like they will be 5th at conference this year.

      Nathan Young could push Meyer for the back titles (at least the 100, maybe 200).

      Matthew Moore for UST looks pretty good. I still think St. Thomas could push for 3rd place this year. 4th is a lock I think.

      Based on early swims, it is tough to think any team other than Carleton could push GAC or Olaf in any relays.

    • #40436

      @Chapel Partner wrote:

      … SJU looks like they will be 5th at conference this year.

      Who do you have ahead of them, Carleton and then St. Thomas? Looking at these early season results I don’t think I can seperate Carleton, St. Thomas, and SJU into 3rd, 4th, and 5th. In my mind, that’s still up in the air.

      @Chapel Partner wrote:

      Nathan Young could push Meyer for the back titles (at least the 100, maybe 200).

      Quite possibly. If Young gets to where I think he should, based on his HS times and how much of a boost FY’s usually get, I would not be surprised if he and Meyer were neck-and-neck coming in to the final wall in both back events.

      @Chapel Partner wrote:

      Based on early swims, it is tough to think any team other than Carleton could push GAC or Olaf in any relays.

      I think that the Medley’s are going to the easiest to tip the scales on. Not in the sense of knocking off Olaf, who I think is all but guaranteed to win both Medleys, but to eclipse GAC by surprise.

    • #40437
      wonderboy33
      Member

      It looks as if Curtis Myers didn’t swim another meet for SJU. What happened to the days in which you swam meets unless you were academically ineligible , like Underhill at SJU? Also, Michael Williams didn’t swim well. I believe he’s been a 47 or 48 in the 100 free and he was on the B Relay with a 51 split. He also swam the 100 breast. He should be swimming the 200 free, the 500 free, and maybe the 200 I.M. I suppose I should cut him some slack given that he’s not used to competing until the december through february time period, or the high school season. Maybe he’ll hit his stride then…

    • #40438

      Is Michael of any relation to David Williams, the recent grad?

    • #40439

      Wow, my first round draft pick, Michael Williams, just did a 51.64 100 free. Not good.

      @Chapel Partner wrote:

      I know we talked about SJU losing a lot of seniors. Well, not only that, but after two meets, it looks like Jonathon Frank and Kevin Kubat are officially not swimming. Anyone know what happened to these guys? They transfer? Contract SARS? Get Mono? Kicked off campus?

      Wonderboy, Mini-chub? Do some research? Put Steger on the case. Or call up Pat Haws.

      Here are the Johnny invite results…

      http://www.gojohnnies.com/swimdive/CSBSJUFallInvitationalIndividual.htm

      Couple notes:
      Josh Swenson looks pretty good, but SJU looks like they will be 5th at conference this year.

      Nathan Young could push Meyer for the back titles (at least the 100, maybe 200).

      Matthew Moore for UST looks pretty good. I still think St. Thomas could push for 3rd place this year. 4th is a lock I think.

      Based on early swims, it is tough to think any team other than Carleton could push GAC or Olaf in any relays.

    • #40440

      Maybe he slipped on his start, missed a wall, or had his goggles fill with water… Don’t lose hope yet, Mac.

    • #40441
      CRUNCHYSOCK
      Member

      No relation.

    • #40442

      Thanks, Crunchy. I didn’t think he was, but thought I’d ask to make sure.

    • #40443

      Talked to my source in Collegville…

      Kevin Kubat is in China for the semester. I am guessing he’ll swim when he returns (mid-December). My source could not confirm whether his trip was to learn martial arts from a bad-ass samurai, or for school.

      Jonathon Frank transferred to Iowa (not for swimming), but to be closer to home or something.

      Kubat’s return should help SJU (especially on the relays). Even with a short training/taper.

    • #40444

      There is only one solution to this problem. Bring Pat Haws out of retirement. He’s the Bud Grant of D3 swimming.

      “Who hates their mother?”

    • #40445

      @Chapel Partner wrote:

      Kubat’s return should help SJU (especially on the relays). Even with a short training/taper.

      In D3 there has been more than one person to train abroad for a semester and come back to kick some tail. I know women’s swimming isn’t followed much on this site, but Katie Haynes from Gustavus pops into my mind. That girl was abroad quite often for semesters and J-terms and still made the roster, not to mention swam crazy fast, every year.

    • #40446

      I think this has been lightly discussed in another thread, but it’s befitting of this topic heading so I’ll bring it up again here.

      Although Mac made a post saying that SJU got the best recruiting class out of the teams this year, they have yet to produce. Looking over the top times they really only have Swenson posting times up to this point. While there are plenty of names on the top times list from SJU, they are all towards the bottom of the list for the respective events.

      What happened to the Johnnies? Did they all stumble onto the transit bus to St. Ben’s and realize that there are actually women in close proximity to the campus?

    • #40447

      Mike Williams ran cross country this year for SJU and didnt start training until one month into the school year, that may be the cause of his slower than average times

    • #40448
      openwater
      Member

      @String Theorist wrote:

      I think this has been lightly discussed in another thread, but it’s befitting of this topic heading so I’ll bring it up again here.

      Although Mac made a post saying that SJU got the best recruiting class out of the teams this year, they have yet to produce. Looking over the top times they really only have Swenson posting times up to this point. While there are plenty of names on the top times list from SJU, they are all towards the bottom of the list for the respective events.

      What happened to the Johnnies? Did they all stumble onto the transit bus to St. Ben’s and realize that there are actually women in close proximity to the campus?

      5-8 SJU guys have in the past regularly spent September and October playing water polo – good sprint training but ….. SJU finished 5th at Nationals this year but that was 3 weeks ago so it is time to put away the funny hats and saddle up for the main bout.

    • #40449

      @openwater wrote:

      5-8 SJU guys have in the past regularly spent September and October playing water polo – good sprint training but ….. SJU finished 5th at Nationals this year but that was 3 weeks ago so it is time to put away the funny hats and saddle up for the main bout.

      So are you saying that the team should be in full form, both for having all their guys and being ready to swim fast, for their Invite this weekend?

    • #40450

      @littleswimmerguy wrote:

      Mike Williams ran cross country this year for SJU and didnt start training until one month into the school year, that may be the cause of his slower than average times

      Good info. Is he a pretty big taper swimmer? Most people who can go a 47 100 yard free are never anywhere north of 52.

    • #40451
      openwater
      Member

      @Rustie Gustie wrote:

      @openwater wrote:

      5-8 SJU guys have in the past regularly spent September and October playing water polo – good sprint training but ….. SJU finished 5th at Nationals this year but that was 3 weeks ago so it is time to put away the funny hats and saddle up for the main bout.

      So are you saying that the team should be in full form, both for having all their guys and being ready to swim fast, for their Invite this weekend?

      No because I do not know if they actually had swimmers playing water polo *this* year – I know that in recent past years this took place during the fall.

    • #40452
      wonderboy33
      Member

      Michael Williams is actually more of a triathlete than a swimmer. I think he was at practice twice this summer but was training and competing in triathlons. I wasn’t sure if he would devote more of his time to swimming in college but it sounds like he’s continuing to run. He’s a great athlete. Hopefully he can pull it together and make himself worthy of being a first-round pick. I’m not sure how much he can improve on his high school times though.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.