School Support

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #12887

      RG wrote in the national thread how he thought Gustavus does not support their swim team as much as they could. And cited the football stadium as an example of this.

      I disagree.

      As a person who went to about 2 football games while at GAC, and didn’t like 90% of the guys on the team, I will give them credit for going out and soliciting money for the stadium. Alumni worked really hard to get donations, and GAC did a pretty good job building the stadium (just got my quarterly, and thought it looked like a cool place to watch a game).

      Support for sports like football, basketball, and hockey indirectly help swimming. We all use the same weight room, locker rooms, training staff, etc. And GAC swimming benefits from this. I would say other schools do too.

      SJU has a nice weight room built in the last 6-7 years or so… you think the 50 fans at a swim meet paid for that, or the 12,000 who attend a Johnny-Tommie game? Either way, the swim team gets to lift weights there.

      As far as facilities go, I think GAC fully supports the swim team… best pool in the conference (not for fans obviously), great coaching staff, and a hot tub. If the team is looking for more support, I think it is up to Head Coach Carlson to work with the alumni on raising more cash. I know he’s started doing this, and I know I’ve promised to send a check (still haven’t), but I think this is where GAC can get more support.

      Try recruiting at St. Thomas with a glorified 5 lane bus shelter. Now there is a school that has abandoned the swim team.

    • #41979

      Good points, Chapel. But for the record, UST technically owns 2 5 lane bus shelters.

      What I’m curious to find out is if Macalester improves with its new facility. Will UST improve with their new facility in 2010. I’ve heard from several coaches in d3 that Bob Pearson and Tom Hodges (sp?) do not recruit. If your only job is to coach swimming, and recruiting is upwards of 50% of your success, doesn’t it make sense for these two coaches to make a few calls during the swim season? Especially considering their new facilities? I think the AD of Mac should seriously consider a coaching change if the team does not improve in numbers and quality this year. Same for UST in the coming years.

      @Chapel Partner wrote:

      RG wrote in the national thread how he thought Gustavus does not support their swim team as much as they could. And cited the football stadium as an example of this.

      I disagree.

      As a person who went to about 2 football games while at GAC, and didn’t like 90% of the guys on the team, I will give them credit for going out and soliciting money for the stadium. Alumni worked really hard to get donations, and GAC did a pretty good job building the stadium (just got my quarterly, and thought it looked like a cool place to watch a game).

      Support for sports like football, basketball, and hockey indirectly help swimming. We all use the same weight room, locker rooms, training staff, etc. And GAC swimming benefits from this. I would say other schools do too.

      SJU has a nice weight room built in the last 6-7 years or so… you think the 50 fans at a swim meet paid for that, or the 12,000 who attend a Johnny-Tommie game? Either way, the swim team gets to lift weights there.

      As far as facilities go, I think GAC fully supports the swim team… best pool in the conference (not for fans obviously), great coaching staff, and a hot tub. If the team is looking for more support, I think it is up to Head Coach Carlson to work with the alumni on raising more cash. I know he’s started doing this, and I know I’ve promised to send a check (still haven’t), but I think this is where GAC can get more support.

      Try recruiting at St. Thomas with a glorified 5 lane bus shelter. Now there is a school that has abandoned the swim team.

    • #41980

      I swam freshman year at UST. I can assure you they do not recruit.

      I think the reasoning is something along the lines of college being a much bigger life decision than swimming.

      Like once you express interest in UST, I think Dr. Tom Hodgson talks to you. But he doesn’t really try to sell the program to you… more of a “we’d love to have you” approach.

      As for Pearson, I can’t say. I think he has a much tougher job recruiting because Mac, like Carleton, seems to limit the number of in-state students. Also, their academic requirements really limit their options.

      Yes, Mac, you could get into Macalester… but I’d bet at least 75% of the GAC teams over the years could not.

    • #41981

      Bob Pearson does not recruit. He just takes whatever comes. If Macalester plows millions of dollars into their pool, shouldn’t they plow tens of hours into a search committee to get a coach who actually cares about winning?

      Tom Hodgson has a moderatly succesfull program with horrible facilities. I will not put him in the Pearson boat.

      @Chapel Partner wrote:

      I swam freshman year at UST. I can assure you they do not recruit.

      I think the reasoning is something along the lines of college being a much bigger life decision than swimming.

      Like once you express interest in UST, I think Dr. Tom Hodgson talks to you. But he doesn’t really try to sell the program to you… more of a “we’d love to have you” approach.

      As for Pearson, I can’t say. I think he has a much tougher job recruiting because Mac, like Carleton, seems to limit the number of in-state students. Also, their academic requirements really limit their options.

      Yes, Mac, you could get into Macalester… but I’d bet at least 75% of the GAC teams over the years could not.

    • #41982
      wonderboy33
      Member

      As crazy as it sounds, Bob Pearson tried to get me to go to Macalester years ago. I’m fairly certain that he initiated the discussion as I wouldn’t have approached him.

    • #41983
      Monti
      Member

      @wonderboy33 wrote:

      As crazy as it sounds, Bob Pearson tried to get me to go to Macalester years ago. I’m not quite sure if he initiated the discussion but I’m pretty sure I didn’t know who he was back then so I don’t know why I would approach him.

      what? you’s smrt or sumthin?

    • #41984
      wonderboy33
      Member

      @Monti wrote:

      what? you’s smrt or sumthin?

      No, that’s the crazy part.

    • #41985

      I was also contacted (by mail not phone) by Pearson. I got tons of those pamphlets I do recall getting more mail from the MAC swim team then any other school’s swim team (the only other team to come close was Carleton).

    • #41986

      @backstroker02 wrote:

      I was also contacted (by mail not phone) by Pearson. I got tons of those pamphlets I do recall getting more mail from the MAC swim team then any other school’s swim team (the only other team to come close was Carleton).

      I stand corrected.

      Maybe Nathan Young is the start to a Macalester dynasty.

    • #41987
      Deep Water
      Member

      The AD at St. Thomas was quoted in Sid Hartman’s column last week saying that they are building a new campus center and then building all new athletic facilities. Some may remember they got a huge donation of a hundred something million. I guess they are using it towards these facilities. I assume they will do some fund raising on top of it

    • #41988

      @Deep Water wrote:

      The AD at St. Thomas was quoted in Sid Hartman’s column last week saying that they are building a new campus center and then building all new athletic facilities. Some may remember they got a huge donation of a hundred something million. I guess they are using it towards these facilities. I assume they will do some fund raising on top of it

      Anyone know where they are building this? Are they going to tear down the current O’Shaughnessy complex and build it on top? Or in the current parking lot? South campus? Are they closing Scooters?

      Mac, you should know this. I want to see some blueprints on the pool too!

      Other than the U, the options for swimming in college around the Twin Cities has been pretty sparse. Hamline (crappy pool), UST (super crappy pool), and Mac (was in meters forever) were your only options. Now with Mac getting a new pool, and UST eventually getting one, it could keep some of the metro recruits within the 694-494 loop.

    • #41989

      Here is the order of how things will be built. The parking ramp and student center have already been funded. The athletic complex still needs to raise some cash.

      Parking Ramp – Cretin / Grand (where tennis courts are now), Spring 08
      Student Center – Cretin / Summit (where parking lot is now), Fall 08 break ground
      Athletic Complex – (probably where current athletic complex sits), 2010

      Murry Herrick, where Scooters is, will be turned into offices, classrooms, and a new data center. UST is also trying to renovate the Catholic Studies mansion (on Summit), but the neighborhood got upset, claiming turning a Summit mansion into a large academic building would devalue property. I tend to agree.

      I’ve seen a few details on the student center, and it’s going to be massive. Ballrooms, bowling alley, restaurants, etc.

      All of this is detailed below.

      http://www.stthomas.edu/openingdoors

      @Chapel Partner wrote:

      @Deep Water wrote:

      The AD at St. Thomas was quoted in Sid Hartman’s column last week saying that they are building a new campus center and then building all new athletic facilities. Some may remember they got a huge donation of a hundred something million. I guess they are using it towards these facilities. I assume they will do some fund raising on top of it

      Anyone know where they are building this? Are they going to tear down the current O’Shaughnessy complex and build it on top? Or in the current parking lot? South campus? Are they closing Scooters?

      Mac, you should know this. I want to see some blueprints on the pool too!

      Other than the U, the options for swimming in college around the Twin Cities has been pretty sparse. Hamline (crappy pool), UST (super crappy pool), and Mac (was in meters forever) were your only options. Now with Mac getting a new pool, and UST eventually getting one, it could keep some of the metro recruits within the 694-494 loop.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.