Relay Meet

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #12747

      I’m guessing that the results are not up yet for the MIAC relay meet that took place yesterday, but if they are and someone has found them please post a link. I’m interested in seeing how things turned out. Also, if anyone was there or has talked to someone who knows what went on, please post that as well. Silentp, don’t you have some inside connection to the GAC squad and their doings?

    • #39721
      LittleB
      Member
    • #39722

      Thanks, LittleB. I was looking for the results at the Olaf site with no headway. Didn’t think to check Carleton.

      One thing I noticed right away, other than Olaf being in their typical very early season form, were a couple of the splits on the 300 Free Relay.

      The lead out for Carleton was 20.45 followed by 20.63. I’m not 100% on how this relay is done, but I’m guessing that the first leg is not 100, as this would have the Carleton guy splitting a 41.08 from a flat start. Even if the first leg is a 50, 20.45 flat start is quite respectable at this point in the season! Anyone know who swam the first leg for Carleton?

      With the 20.02 anchor leg from Gustavus, this guy either had the most amazing start (jump?) and swim of his life, or GAC picked up a replacement for the Amundson/Hagemeyer duo. Assuming it was legit, this is quite a split for this point in the season as well. Adding .6 for a relay takeoff, this is still a 20.62. Anybody know who this was?

      Olaf also pulled down a couple sub 21’s with a 20.87 and a 20.95. I’m guessing that the 20.95 was an anchor 50 by Koch?

      Based on the results, I’m going to guess this relay is done 50, 100, 100, 50. Anybody actually know?


      1 Gustavus Adolphus College 'A' 2:08.65
      21.42 21.95 21.77 21.79 21.70 20.02
      2 St. Olaf College 'A' 2:11.66
      21.23 20.87 22.90 23.38 22.33 20.95
      3 Carleton College 'A' 2:13.13
      20.45 20.63 22.55 23.67 22.18 23.65
    • #39723

      The 300 free relay is actually 8 guys, 4 25s and 4 50s. My guess is that 20.2 is two of the 25 splits.

    • #39724

      @backstroker02 wrote:

      The 300 free relay is actually 8 guys, 4 25s and 4 50s. My guess is that 20.2 is two of the 25 splits.

      Well that changes everything! Is there a set order to it, or can teams do it however they wish? For example,

      Team A
      25 25 50 50 25 25 50 50

      Team B
      50 50 50 50 25 25 25 25

    • #39725
      lirpa
      Member

      Not sure how reliable these splits are, but for the animals relay, 200 fly, 400im, 500 free it looks like Olaf’s guy anchored in 4:46.01. That’s a heck of a swim.

    • #39726

      That I am not sure about, but looking at the results it would appear that teams can do it in whatever order they want. I will ask around and see what I can find out.

    • #39727
      LittleB
      Member

      The relays can be done in any order. Carleton did their 300s as 4 25s then 4 50s. Marschall did split a 9.6 on his 25 from a deck start.

      The Olaf frosh had a phenomenal 500 (at the end – all teams did this one as a 2 fly, 4 IM, and 500 free). He went a 4:46 – pretty impressive win as he ran down the knights by over a 50.

      Solid 200 Fly from the knight frosh Kilgour – 2:05.

      Also I am pretty sure the GAC men did the last 50 of their 300 relay as 2 25’s.

    • #39728

      @LittleB wrote:

      Also I am pretty sure the GAC men did the last 50 of their 300 relay as 2 25’s.

      Yeah that would make sense. Given what I know now compared to what I assumed during my earlier post, my earlier post is basically obsolete.

    • #39729

      What about the 400 MR? This was swum the correct way, wasn’t it? If it was, then the times could be put into the Top Times database on the site. I didn’t want to enter them until I know the relay was swam legitimately.

    • #39730
      silentp
      Member

      @Rustie Gustie wrote:

      What about the 400 MR? This was swum the correct way, wasn’t it? If it was, then the times could be put into the Top Times database on the site. I didn’t want to enter them until I know the relay was swam legitimately.

      Look at the splits… I am pretty sure this is a 4 x 100 IM relay. Unless you think Westby split a 53.0 on the breast, and GAC had a guy split 56.

    • #39731
      Look Up
      Member

      It is 4 x 100 IM.

    • #39732

      I decided to check out the meet, and it felt like I was attending a seizure… Swimmers everywhere, guys and girls in relays together, cats living with dogs, it was like a scene out of War of the Worlds.

      I stayed for an hour and a half and then had to go decompress at the Reub with Speedo Mini-Chub and a Bloody Mary.

      I did stay long enough to watch Westby lead off the breast stroke relay in a 58… I think it may have been an A cut, but I don’t know the cuts, or if they count for leadoffs in a relay where other people are doing 50s (he beat all the guys doing 50s obviously).

      Some other random notes:
      -Nick Frost is REALLY tall… like 6’9″.
      -Some dude on St. Mary’s has some wicked-sweet tats all over his arm.
      -It took a 5 minute debate with Mini-Chub, and then looking at these results to figure out that SJU and St. Bens were not at the meet… it was crazy.
      -Some chicks team has really cool swim caps that looks like a sea-horse jumping through a flame. I think it is SMU. I thought it was CSB the whole time.

    • #39733

      @Chapel Partner wrote:

      -Some chicks team has really cool swim caps that looks like a sea-horse jumping through a flame. I think it is SMU. I thought it was CSB the whole time.

      These caps belong to MSU – Moorhead, the Dragons I do believe.

      @Chapel Partner wrote:

      I did stay long enough to watch Westby lead off the breast stroke relay in a 58… I think it may have been an A cut, but I don’t know the cuts, or if they count for leadoffs in a relay where other people are doing 50s (he beat all the guys doing 50s obviously).

      According the cut sheet as long as his split was under 58.79 it’s a B Cut. I’m not so sure about the ruling on the relay format though. On one hand if he is leading out, his swim is unaffected by the rest of the legs. At the same time, the relay is not a recognized relay. I don’t know which way to call this one. If I was forced to choose, I would complement him on his swim and tell him to do it again at his next meet.

      For those who don’t have it bookmarked or haven’t seen it yet, the cut sheet can be found here:
      http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/champadmin/swimming/d3/2008_qualifying_stds_DIII_men.pdf?ObjectID=49460&ViewMode=0&PreviewState=0

    • #39734
      wonderboy33
      Member

      I would think that they could take a lead-off swim and get an official split, given that there were officials observing and they were using the timing system. It doesn’t matter what happens after the lead-off swim. The 2nd through the 4th swimmer can get DQ’d and the split will still be official. In the past, they’ve always had an official split slip but now it’s just included in the results. I suppose it’s always a good idea to fill out the slip so that all the bases are covered.

    • #39735

      Honestly, it doesn’t really matter whether he split was official. Does anybody really think that his going to nationals will depend on this race? I guarentee that he will go a lot fast at some point this season before nationals.

    • #39736

      @lirpa wrote:

      Not sure how reliable these splits are, but for the animals relay, 200 fly, 400im, 500 free it looks like Olaf’s guy anchored in 4:46.01. That’s a heck of a swim.

      The Olaf Freshman is Chris Bateman. He was a 4:38 in HS. 4:46 sounds like he trained over the summer. I’d say he’s an upgrade over Anderson and probably a threat to Skylar, but not Stewart or Hanson.

      Did Bateman swim anything else? I picked him at the top of the second round on his 500 time alone. If he has another stroke, it would be a huge bonus for me.

    • #39737

      @Mac of the MIAC wrote:

      Did Bateman swim anything else? I picked him at the top of the second round on his 500 time alone. If he has another stroke, it would be a huge bonus for me.

      I can’t say anything about what he swam at the relay meet because I wasn’t there, but looking at Illinois State and Section meet results for the previous 3 years he only ever swam the 500 at either meet.

      However, using the USS swim times database I was able to find something for you. I don’t know how helpful it will be since it only covers ages 15 and 16, but I figure it’s better than nothing.

      Stroke	Course	Age	Time	Alt Adj Time	Power Points	Standard	Meet	Meet Date
      50 FR SCY 16 26.13 26.13 371 "BB" 2005 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/21/2005
      50 FR SCY 15 27.13 27.13 346 "BB" 2005 IL Chicagoland Gold Conference 2/20/2005
      50 FR SCY 15 27.87 27.87 289 "B" 2004 IN WTSC Holiday Champs 11/19/2004
      50 FR SCY 15 28.52 28.52 241 "B" 2004 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/15/2004
      100 FR SCY 15 58.66 58.66 316 "BB" 2004 IN WTSC Holiday Champs 11/19/2004
      100 FR SCY 15 59.02 59.02 303 "BB" 2005 IL Chicagoland Gold Conference 2/20/2005
      100 FR SCY 15 59.65 59.65 280 "BB" 2004 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/15/2004
      200 FR SCY 15 2:00.64 2:00.64 421 "A" 2005 IL FOX-ISI Reg Champs 2/25/2005
      200 FR SCY 15 2:06.05 2:06.05 319 "BB" 2004 IN WTSC Holiday Champs 11/19/2004
      200 FR SCY 15 2:13.14 2:13.14 203 "B" 2004 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/15/2004
      500 FR SCY 17 4:38.96 4:38.96 737 "AAA" 2007 IL IHSA Boys State 2/23/2007
      500 FR SCY 15 5:17.71 5:17.71 466 "A" 2005 IL FOX-ISI Reg Champs 2/25/2005
      500 FR SCY 15 5:47.69 5:47.69 259 "BB" 2004 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/15/2004
      50 BK SCY 15 33.51r 33.51 1 2005 IL Chicagoland Gold Conference 2/20/2005
      100 BK SCY 15 1:10.59 1:10.59 158 "B" 2004 IN WTSC Holiday Champs 11/19/2004
      100 BK SCY 15 1:11.14 1:11.14 143 "B" 2005 IL Chicagoland Gold Conference 2/20/2005
      200 BK SCY 16 2:24.69 2:24.69 216 "B" 2005 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/21/2005
      200 BK SCY 15 2:40.44 2:40.44 73 "All Times" 2004 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/15/2004
      100 BR SCY 15 1:17.97 1:17.97 208 "B" 2004 IN WTSC Holiday Champs 11/19/2004
      100 FL SCY 15 1:20.67 1:20.67 1 "All Times" 2004 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/15/2004
      200 IM SCY 16 2:23.43 2:23.43 244 "BB" 2005 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/21/2005
      200 IM SCY 15 2:29.28 2:29.28 198 "B" 2004 IN WTSC Holiday Champs 11/19/2004
      200 IM SCY 15 2:38.73 2:38.73 90 "All Times" 2004 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/15/2004
    • #39738

      Wow! Chris Bateman is fast. He did a 1:44 200 free (converted) when he was 15. Looks like he did a 22. and a 50. when he was 16, plus a 1:05 100 breast. He might find his way onto 3 relays.

      @Rustie Gustie wrote:

      @Mac of the MIAC wrote:

      Did Bateman swim anything else? I picked him at the top of the second round on his 500 time alone. If he has another stroke, it would be a huge bonus for me.

      I can’t say anything about what he swam at the relay meet because I wasn’t there, but looking at Illinois State and Section meet results for the previous 3 years he only ever swam the 500 at either meet.

      However, using the USS swim times database I was able to find something for you. I don’t know how helpful it will be since it only covers ages 15 and 16, but I figure it’s better than nothing.

      Stroke	Course	Age	Time	Alt Adj Time	Power Points	Standard	Meet	Meet Date
      50 FR SCY 16 26.13 26.13 371 "BB" 2005 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/21/2005
      50 FR SCY 15 27.13 27.13 346 "BB" 2005 IL Chicagoland Gold Conference 2/20/2005
      50 FR SCY 15 27.87 27.87 289 "B" 2004 IN WTSC Holiday Champs 11/19/2004
      50 FR SCY 15 28.52 28.52 241 "B" 2004 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/15/2004
      100 FR SCY 15 58.66 58.66 316 "BB" 2004 IN WTSC Holiday Champs 11/19/2004
      100 FR SCY 15 59.02 59.02 303 "BB" 2005 IL Chicagoland Gold Conference 2/20/2005
      100 FR SCY 15 59.65 59.65 280 "BB" 2004 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/15/2004
      200 FR SCY 15 2:00.64 2:00.64 421 "A" 2005 IL FOX-ISI Reg Champs 2/25/2005
      200 FR SCY 15 2:06.05 2:06.05 319 "BB" 2004 IN WTSC Holiday Champs 11/19/2004
      200 FR SCY 15 2:13.14 2:13.14 203 "B" 2004 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/15/2004
      500 FR SCY 17 4:38.96 4:38.96 737 "AAA" 2007 IL IHSA Boys State 2/23/2007
      500 FR SCY 15 5:17.71 5:17.71 466 "A" 2005 IL FOX-ISI Reg Champs 2/25/2005
      500 FR SCY 15 5:47.69 5:47.69 259 "BB" 2004 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/15/2004
      50 BK SCY 15 33.51r 33.51 1 2005 IL Chicagoland Gold Conference 2/20/2005
      100 BK SCY 15 1:10.59 1:10.59 158 "B" 2004 IN WTSC Holiday Champs 11/19/2004
      100 BK SCY 15 1:11.14 1:11.14 143 "B" 2005 IL Chicagoland Gold Conference 2/20/2005
      200 BK SCY 16 2:24.69 2:24.69 216 "B" 2005 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/21/2005
      200 BK SCY 15 2:40.44 2:40.44 73 "All Times" 2004 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/15/2004
      100 BR SCY 15 1:17.97 1:17.97 208 "B" 2004 IN WTSC Holiday Champs 11/19/2004
      100 FL SCY 15 1:20.67 1:20.67 1 "All Times" 2004 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/15/2004
      200 IM SCY 16 2:23.43 2:23.43 244 "BB" 2005 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/21/2005
      200 IM SCY 15 2:29.28 2:29.28 198 "B" 2004 IN WTSC Holiday Champs 11/19/2004
      200 IM SCY 15 2:38.73 2:38.73 90 "All Times" 2004 IL TYR Midwestern Kick-Off 10/15/2004
    • #39739
      silentp
      Member

      @Mac of the MIAC wrote:

      Wow! Chris Bateman is fast. He did a 1:44 200 free (converted) when he was 15. Looks like he did a 22. and a 50. when he was 16, plus a 1:05 100 breast. He might find his way onto 3 relays.

      Those are all SCY times. No conversion necessary.

    • #39740

      I see that, now. Thanks. But these times do not make sense in SCY. If he’s a 4:38 in the 500 free at age 17, no way is he a 26 in the 50 free at age 16. A 26 in the 50 free is a bad SCY time for a 12 year old. Either he learned how to do flipturns at age 17, or these times are in meters.

      @silentp wrote:

      @Mac of the MIAC wrote:

      Wow! Chris Bateman is fast. He did a 1:44 200 free (converted) when he was 15. Looks like he did a 22. and a 50. when he was 16, plus a 1:05 100 breast. He might find his way onto 3 relays.

      Those are all SCY times. No conversion necessary.

    • #39741
      wonderboy33
      Member

      Mac-

      I was thinking the same thing, these times are really slow. But, the power points indicate that they are correct and the dates of the swims are during the short course USS season. He must not have competed is USS the last couple of years and somehow he really progressed well. Otherwise, it doesn’t make sense.

    • #39742

      @Mac of the MIAC wrote:

      But these times do not make sense in SCY.

      I noticed that before I posted them, and hesitated making the post because they were slow times from 4 years ago. Sorry for giving you false hope, Mac. I tried pretty hard to find some other results, but they are either very well hidden or he didn’t compete over the summer ever.

    • #39743

      @wonderboy33 wrote:

      But, the power points indicate that they are correct …

      What do they power points mean and how are they determined? I saw them on the list and am quite confused as to what they mean.

    • #39744
      silentp
      Member

      http://www.ihsa.org/activity/swb/2006-07/swb42395.htm

      Sectional results. He dropped 8 seconds to go his 4:40 (eventually he went 4:38 at state) but couldn’t even finish top 6 in the 200 free, which took a 1:47.28. He might turn out to be a great 1650 recruit.

    • #39745

      @silentp wrote:

      He dropped 8 seconds to go his 4:40 (eventually he went 4:38 at state) but couldn’t even finish top 6 in the 200 free, which took a 1:47.28. He might turn out to be a great 1650 recruit.

      I would agree. Anyone who goes a 4:38 500 in HS but can’t pull together anything faster than a 1:47 200 is built for distance. Definitely have to keep an eye on him in December at Carthage, which I believe is the first time Olaf swims the mile.

    • #39746
      swim5599
      Member

      I am assuming that was Westby leading off the 300 breaststroke relay in 58 low. Pretty good. But I am not surprised the guy swims fast at all times.

    • #39747

      @swim5599 wrote:

      I am assuming that was Westby leading off the 300 breaststroke relay in 58 low.

      That does seem to be the consensus in this thread.

    • #39748
      wonderboy33
      Member

      The power points are determined based on a scale from 1-1100 points, with 800 points being the National Reportable Time Standard. USA Swimming uses an algorithm that is slightly adjusted for each age level, meaning a 500 point swim at age 13 is equal in quality to a 500 point swim at age 18. Bottom line, many of Bateman’s swims were in the 300 point range. Chapel Partner could still manage that.

    • #39749

      @wonderboy33 wrote:

      Bottom line, many of Bateman’s swims were in the 300 point range. Chapel Partner could still manage that.

      Thanks for clarification. So if I’ve gotten what you’ve said right, then Bateman’s swims in the list I posted, outside of his 500, were none to stellar. No offense, Chapel Partner, I’m sure you were a fine athlete in your day.

    • #39750

      Thanks Wonderboy, but unless swimming like a 27 50 free with an open turn would get me 300 points, I doubt I could hang with the 13 year old version of Bateman.

      And no RG, I was not a fine athlete in my day, I’m a fine athlete now. Just check my softball stats. I’m like the Westby of amateur adult athletics.

    • #39751
      wonderboy33
      Member

      Sorry Chapel Partner, you’d have to go 26.48 at your age. Open turn granted.[/quote]

    • #39752
      LittleB
      Member

      Bateman can swim the mile this weekend at the Cows, Colleges, Contentment Classic – not going to have a mid-season taper time but he should swim it regardless.

    • #39753

      @LittleB wrote:

      Bateman can swim the mile this weekend at the Cows, Colleges, Contentment Classic – not going to have a mid-season taper time but he should swim it regardless.

      There’s a meet called the Cows, Colleges, Contentment Classic?

    • #39754
      LittleB
      Member

      yea…its at Olaf on saturday.
      Carleton, St. Johns, St. Bens, and UW LaCrosse swim. All events are swum (except only 1 or 2 real relays – one med and one free) – pretty much the longest day ever. Apparently Macalester is coming this year too.

    • #39755

      Is this at Carleton?

      @LittleB wrote:

      yea…its at Olaf on saturday.
      Carleton, St. Johns, St. Bens, and UW LaCrosse swim. All events are swum (except only 1 or 2 real relays – one med and one free) – pretty much the longest day ever. Apparently Macalester is coming this year too.

    • #39756

      @Mac of the MIAC wrote:

      Is this at Carleton?

      According the Carleton website the meet takes place at two venues. Diving is at Carleton and swimming is at Olaf. Both are set to take place at 10am.

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.