Most Valuable MIAA at NCAAs

Forums Conferences Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association Most Valuable MIAA at NCAAs

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #12524
      JoMamma
      Member

      So after NCAAs, who was the most valuable swimmer from the MIAA?

    • #37559
      Milhouse
      Member

      Let me surprise the hell out of everyone by saying Becky Weima from Calvin.

      And I gotta go with Paul Ellis for the men, in case anyone was wondering.

    • #37560
      DonCheadle
      Member

      @Milhouse wrote:

      Paul Ellis for the men

      He scored almost as many individual points as the rest of the league combined. Is there any doubt.

      The real question is, if you were starting a team who would be the 2nd guy you would pick (because if you don’t take Ellis #1 you are wrong).

    • #37561
      Stevo
      Member

      Ryan Nelis

    • #37562
      DonCheadle
      Member

      @Stevo wrote:

      Ryan Nelis

      Neils could swim on all 5 relays for every school in the MIAA. And he is clearly the best 100 flyer right now, with the strongest split on a pretty good Hope Medley relay. But the thing is, there is a guy who is better than him in 2 of his 3 league meet events. Still, I think Nelis is only getting better so I can see the argument.

      Obviously I would take Fonzi. My main reason: Calvin, Hope and Olivet would all qualify a medley relay if Fonzi swam for them.

    • #37563
      Stevo
      Member

      I will agree that Ellils is the MVP of the league.

      I also think if you look back to September 2006 and how we never really mentioned Ryan Nelis. He was a good recruit that ended up being a lot more than just a good recruit. He dropped time from league meet to nationals, and was clutch on relays. We all knew what to expect from Fonsy and Ellis.

    • #37564
      stiles
      Member

      Don C. I think you are looking at your own question incorrectly. You wanted to know who you would build a team around.

      Fonzi didn’t even comeback in his third event at MIAA. I wouldn’t even have Fonzi 2nd or 3rd. Look at Nelis or Heyboer. Heyboer is going to give you three finals in everything but the 50, 100, and 1 fl. Nelis could swim on any of the 5 relays and final in everything but the 50, breasts, and D events.

      I would consider taking Nate Busscher after this past meet. Ellis, Heyboer, Nelis, Busscher would be a solid first four, with those three following Ellis in an order depending on your preference.

    • #37565
      DonCheadle
      Member

      @stiles wrote:

      Don C. I think you are looking at your own question incorrectly. You wanted to know who you would build a team around.

      Fonzi didn’t even comeback in his third event at MIAA. I wouldn’t even have Fonzi 2nd or 3rd. Look at Nelis or Heyboer. Heyboer is going to give you three finals in everything but the 50, 100, and 1 fl. Nelis could swim on any of the 5 relays and final in everything but the 50, breasts, and D events.

      I would consider taking Nate Busscher after this past meet. Ellis, Heyboer, Nelis, Busscher would be a solid first four, with those three following Ellis in an order depending on your preference.

      Did Busscher do something we don’t know about? I mean, he is good, but not in the league of those other 3.

      Anyhow I would build my team around Fonzi because he single-handedly makes it possible to bring a relay team to Nats.

    • #37566
      stiles
      Member

      @DonCheadle wrote:

      Did Busscher do something we don’t know about? I mean, he is good, but not in the league of those other 3.

      WHen you say “we” does that mean there is more than one person sitting at your computer? Is there a mouse in your pocket? Are you speaking for the entire forum? I am not sure on this.

      I didn’t say he was in the same league but he did snag a 4th in the 500 along with a 4th in the 200 and a 3rd in the 4IM. He swam a pair of 4IMs and 3 200’s all in the same day and still managed to have his last of those 5 swims, the 8 free relay, be his fastest, a 1:43.3. I’d say that ability is something one might consider building a team around, not above Heyboer and Nelis but in addition too.

    • #37567
      DonCheadle
      Member

      There certainly isn’t much to talk about when we are arguiing about Nate Busscher. Oh well, I’d rather have Paul Krone, Mitch Powers, Ryan Vogelzang, Charles Vanderbroek, Bobby Dekker, Dustin Meisner but that’s just me….

    • #37568
      Norman Dale
      Member

      This thread is already off topic so I will contribute to that further. There was a fantasy draft this year.

    • #37569
      Low Tide
      Member

      Nelis could make a ‘B’ cut in 12 different events and I would still pick Fonzi over him… same goes for Heyboer.

      If league meet is your sole focus, then you would have an argument.

    • #37570
      Milhouse
      Member

      Fron a fantasy drafting perspective, Nelis is That Guy who you don’t want to use your first pick on, yet at the same time you hope he sticks around long enough that you can pick him up in a later round. But someone else will almost always nab him before you get your chance, and he’ll end up killing your team. He’s That Guy.

    • #37571
      silentp
      Member

      Ellis
      Nelis
      Fonsy
      Heyboer
      Meisner

      2nd could have some argument, but not much else. Unless you are looking only at leagues, and then, i wouldn’t want you building a team anyway… unless i was building one against you, then go for it.

    • #37572

      Krone?

    • #37573
      silentp
      Member

      @Captain Insano wrote:

      Krone?

      Good call. I’d put him anywhere from 2nd to 5th. I can’t put him above ellis because i still want the relays at the national level, but i did overlook him big time. Best distance swimmer in MIAA history wouldn’t be bad to build around at all.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.