Hope/Kzoo/Carthage Tri Meet

Forums Conferences Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association Hope/Kzoo/Carthage Tri Meet

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #12609
      Lane2AllStar
      Member

      Well I just found out that Hope and Kzoo will not be having a dual meet this year. Instead Hope, Kzoo and Carthage are having a two day tri-meet.

      I found this interesting and was wondering how the meet would run. Short stuff one day long stuff the next? Any thoughts?

    • #38242
      silentp
      Member

      I believe you are correct, short 1 day, long the other.

      I like the thought of Carthage, Hope and K having this meet because i feel it will be good competition for everyone involved. There should be some good races, whether for the win, or just for fast in-season times. I predict Hope winning both duals, against both teams, but they should be good meets.

      I do not like the fact that this means no Hope-K dual. It’s bad for the rivalry.

    • #38243
      iamdonovan
      Member

      Agreed on that last point, p. It’s definitely bad for the rivalry. Of course, this could mean a menage a trois of pain and rivalry, which you usually have to pay extra for. So, it could be a bargain.

    • #38244
      Mickey Mouse
      Member

      Didn’t Hope and K used to swim their dual meet with other teams involved in a tri meet or something? How’d that work out?

    • #38245
      SwexasTim
      Member

      well there was the standard head to head meet for hope and kzoo, then always the quad with wheaton and lake forest. To be honest, as a Hope swimmer I didn’t really care about those illinois schools there, it was like another dual with some extra people.

    • #38246
      DonCheadle
      Member

      There were times when we were swimming each other 5-6 times per year. My senior year we did 2 Time Trials meets together, the duel meet (on a Friday night) and the Wheaton Quad meet, plus nationals and MIAA.s That was pretty sweet actually.

    • #38247
      silentp
      Member

      Yeah, facing each other more times was fun, but this replaces the dual.

      Also, K and Calvin dual the week AFTER EMU, which will be interesting…

    • #38248
      Vic
      Member

      I didn’t really like swimming against Hope so many times. Nothing against Hope, I just like having more variety. It can get annoying swimming against the same people over and over.

    • #38249
      swim5599
      Member

      Adding Carthage to the mix should make for a pretty exciting meet.

    • #38250
      Glass Joe
      Member

      @Vic wrote:

      I didn’t really like swimming against Hope so many times. Nothing against Hope, I just like having more variety. It can get annoying swimming against the same people over and over.

      I’m with you. I always thought Hope should try to take a travel trip to Ohio and swim Denison and/or Kenyon. We would have been demolished by either in all of my years at Hope but at least we would have seen what top five national teams look like before March.

    • #38251
      99 Red
      Member

      I would have loved to have seen how Aaron Cole would act with Josh Boss next to him in an in season meet with just the teams there.

    • #38252
      swim5599
      Member

      Yeah that would have been sweet. The 54.69 to 54.72 was an awesome battle.

    • #38253
      Anonymous
      Member

      Hope used to participate in a dual with Denison, Calvin, and Kzoo. Some great competition. The Cole/Boss dual was a great race. Boss closed hard in that race while Cole faded the last 5 yards coming off his win earlier that night in the 100 FL. That was Cole’s 6th race of the day … 2 swims in the MR, 2 in the 100 FL, and 1 prelim in the BR. Both guys were super tough when it came to racing finals.

    • #38254
      swim5599
      Member

      I will always remember the final turn in that 100 breast race. That was probably the best pull out I ever saw Boss do, and he just snuck right past Cole.

    • #38255
      Low Tide
      Member

      There’s no question Aaron Cole could have been faster in his final of the 100 breast if he had not had so many swims that day… but then, Boss might have gone even faster to beat out the better rested Cole as well, so it’s not the strongest point.

      Back in that 2001/02/03 era, I think Kzoo easily had the best dual meet team in D3 and would have beaten anyone, hands down, in a regular season dual meet. Remember, you only have to get first to win an event at a dual meet, and K was so top heavy, especially in-season, that the depth of even Kenyon would not have been able to beat K.

      Of course Holt is guaranteed wins in both diving events, but guys like Domin, Duda, Whitbeck and Schneider were virtually invincible in dual meets.

    • #38256
      silentp
      Member

      @Low Tide wrote:

      There’s no question Aaron Cole could have been faster in his final of the 100 breast if he had not had so many swims that day… but then, Boss might have gone even faster to beat out the better rested Cole as well, so it’s not the strongest point.

      Back in that 2001/02/03 era, I think Kzoo easily had the best dual meet team in D3 and would have beaten anyone, hands down, in a regular season dual meet. Remember, you only have to get first to win an event at a dual meet, and K was so top heavy, especially in-season, that the depth of even Kenyon would not have been able to beat K.

      Of course Holt is guaranteed wins in both diving events, but guys like Domin, Duda, Whitbeck and Schneider were virtually invincible in dual meets.

      In ’01, we did dual Denison and got beat (it was at CWRU), it wasn’t even that close if i recall.

      Also, those were the stongest years EVER for Kenyon, and that’s obviously saying something. So while we were very good in duals, we would have been beat by them.

    • #38257
      DonCheadle
      Member

      [quote=”silentpIn ’01, we did dual Denison and got beat (it was at CWRU), it wasn’t even that close if i recall.[/quote]

      Was that the meet that, in the paper afterwords, a from Denison incorrectly stated that it was a more satisfying victory because Kzoo was tapered?

    • #38258
      silentp
      Member

      @DonCheadle wrote:

      [quote=”silentpIn ’01, we did dual Denison and got beat (it was at CWRU), it wasn’t even that close if i recall.

      Was that the meet that, in the paper afterwords, a from Denison incorrectly stated that it was a more satisfying victory because Kzoo was tapered?[/quote]

      Perhaps, though i do not know. They claimed we tapered the next year when we slaughtered them at the same meet, this time held at EMU. In ’01, K did beat Denison at NCAAs albeit from a false start, so i’m not sure the taper argument would hold much weight.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.