Emory Recruit Class

Forums General Recruits Emory Recruit Class

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #12665
      silentp
      Member

      Mark Bernstein – 1:43/4:37/15:51, 1:55/4:06 IM, 1:00 breast

      Mason White – 58.92/2:10.3 breast, 54.2 fly

      Dustin Frissell – 22.6/48.6

      Matt Spooner – 53.4/1:54.5 back 1:57.8/4:09.8 IM

      Charlie Gagen – 1:00.1/2:20 breast

      Jack Rogers – 22.6/48.4/1:46.2

      Mckensie perry – 59.6/2:08.7 breast, 52.3/1:54.7 fly, 1:57.0/4:09.1 IM

      Nick Kelly – 54.5 100 fly

      Justin Leemis – 48.3/1:44.5

      Solid but won’t help them beat Kenyon.

    • #38790

      From what I understand, Mark Bernstein was 206 2fly lcm this summer, which works out to right around an A cut. Looks like Spooner could make the dance in the 2 back. There’s a lot of potential with him since his brother swims at UGA. Also, I heard that Mason White has only been swimming for about 2 years, one of which was with a high school team and the second with a legitimate club. If all goes well he could make some noise.
      You are right though, Kenyon will be the king of the hill until further notice…

    • #38791
      silentp
      Member

      @screeeeeeeeech wrote:

      From what I understand, Mark Bernstein was 206 2fly lcm this summer, which works out to right around an A cut.

      2:07.5, converts to a 1:50.45, which is about 1.5 UNDER the A cut, wow.

      I must say though, it’s odd to me that the U of Chicago “stud” was getting knocked as not “stud-worthy” yet he’d probably be the 2nd best recruit in this class, especially for an Emory team that needs short distance freestylers.

    • #38792
      DonCheadle
      Member

      When you get this many good guys, it is reasonable to expect that 3 or 4 will turn into big time scorers at Nats. I don’t know, I think this is pretty darn good.

    • #38793
      swim5599
      Member

      Yes it is a pretty good class. I could see those 2 guys who are sitting at 4:09 in the Im go about 4:03 and do something at the dance, so that will help. It seems like Emory has 25 guys that go 4:09 or better in the IM.

    • #38794

      I agree with 5599. Emory always has a strong distance IM group which I imagine will help some of those kids drop time. Also, even though Sabir Muhammad is no longer at Emory (he graduated) the sprint program is improving. Look to Callam last year as an example.

    • #38795

      @screeeeeeeeech wrote:

      Also, I heard that Mason White has only been swimming for about 2 years,

      Rumor has it that he was a (massachusetts) state high school champion in the 1 meter. i can see him making the show on the boards, that would be kinda funny. These recruits arent “studs” like curtis, newton, peterson, duda, but rather kids who i can imagine Howell thought they would improve. Its tough to say the U-C guy is a stud, i can only agree with saying hes got room to improve and will make the waves and not ride it.

      Also, not trying to take anything away from emory ’11, but it looks like theres one stud, Bernstein, and he may be one of the studs in the whole division’s class.

      what happened to that Matt Pringle ??

    • #38796
      Colbybr
      Member

      Mason White swam for Weston High School, a small high school with traditionally very good (for massachusetts) high school swimming. He has come on very strong in the past few years but I believe he swam all four years in high school he just has only been doing year round swimming for a couple years

    • #38797

      @Colbybr wrote:

      I believe he swam all four years in high school he just has only been doing year round swimming for a couple years

      He started swimming his junior year in HS and swam for Chuck Bachler of ABF-NE the summer of his junior here

    • #38798
      silentp
      Member

      @wickedfoolish wrote:

      @Colbybr wrote:

      I believe he swam all four years in high school he just has only been doing year round swimming for a couple years

      He started swimming his junior year in HS and swam for Chuck Bachler of ABF-NE the summer of his junior here

      Sounds exactly like Ben Johnson.

    • #38799

      We’ll see if he ends up like the mythical Ben Johnson. I imagine that Bernstein is the moneymaker for that class since he’ll have Petroff and Brown to train fly with and he’ll be with Lake for distance training. Hopefully for Emory the freestylers can get their sprints down a bit.

    • #38800
      t3hhammer
      Member

      As usual, Emory’s distance and IMers will make up the crux of their NCAA team. It seems like they never manage to bring in sprinters. Hopefully they can develop some…or their relays will struggle come March.

    • #38801

      @t3hhammer wrote:

      As usual, Emory’s distance and IMers will make up the crux of their NCAA team. It seems like they never manage to bring in sprinters. Hopefully they can develop some…or their relays will struggle come March.

      Oh, they bring in some, they just don’t develop them. To their credit, they do amazing things with IMers, and distance guys.

    • #38802
      silentp
      Member

      @RhymeAndReason wrote:

      @t3hhammer wrote:

      As usual, Emory’s distance and IMers will make up the crux of their NCAA team. It seems like they never manage to bring in sprinters. Hopefully they can develop some…or their relays will struggle come March.

      Oh, they bring in some, they just don’t develop them. To their credit, they do amazing things with IMers, and distance guys.

      This is why I am interested to see what they do with these breastrokers, since they have clearly not done well in the breastroke if you look at their top 10 list. I guarantee the IMers do very well though.

    • #38803
      3 6 Mafia
      Member

      @silentp wrote:

      @RhymeAndReason wrote:

      @t3hhammer wrote:

      As usual, Emory’s distance and IMers will make up the crux of their NCAA team. It seems like they never manage to bring in sprinters. Hopefully they can develop some…or their relays will struggle come March.

      Oh, they bring in some, they just don’t develop them. To their credit, they do amazing things with IMers, and distance guys.

      This is why I am interested to see what they do with these breastrokers, since they have clearly not done well in the breastroke if you look at their top 10 list. I guarantee the IMers do very well though.

      Its pretty obvious that emorys breaststroke is just as weak if not weaker than their sprinters. with Callam gone, what are they gonna do? Sloan (6’9??)…

    • #38804
      fr0gman
      Member

      While it doesn’t rival their distance/IM record, I don’t think it’s quite fair to say that Emory doesn’t develop sprinters. How many teams in the country have developed at least 3 20.x sprinters in the past 3 years?

    • #38805
      swim5599
      Member

      Are you saying three total over three years. or 3 a year for three years? If you are talking about total, I can name a whole bunch of schools.

    • #38806
      fr0gman
      Member

      Three in three years. I’m not saying that its some unbelievable feat, but to say that they don’t develop sprinters is at best a bit unfair. Again they may not develop them at the rate that they develop distance swimmers, but they do go pretty fast. Add in that all of those guys were complete swimmers who could do more than swim a fast 50. One of those guys who went 20. also scored in the 200 Fly, so it’s not as if all he could do was sprint.

    • #38807
      swim5599
      Member

      I agree they have developed some guys, but they are currently known for IMers and distance freestylers. ANd unfortunately you can not win an ncaa championship without a lot of sprinters and short stroke guys.

    • #38808

      @3 6 Mafia wrote:

      emorys breaststroke is just as weak

      what about Scott Bobo? he won consies at the show in 07

    • #38809
      fr0gman
      Member
      Quote:
      I agree they have developed some guys, but they are currently known for IMers and distance freestylers. ANd unfortunately you can not win an ncaa championship without a lot of sprinters and short stroke guys.

      Yes, it’s just interesting that what Emory does worst, they still do better than most people for whom that’s what they do best.

    • #38810

      @swim5599 wrote:

      I agree they have developed some guys, but they are currently known for IMers and distance freestylers. ANd unfortunately you can not win an ncaa championship without a lot of sprinters and short stroke guys.

      Michigan won in 95 (?) with mostly distance swimmers. Their only real sprinter was Gustavo Borges.

    • #38811
      HOOSIER77
      Member

      Why is there so much interest in Emory’s class and none about Kenyon or Denison?

    • #38812
      silentp
      Member

      @HOOSIER77 wrote:

      Why is there so much interest in Emory’s class and none about Kenyon or Denison?

      Emory is the only top 3 team with enough balls (or just IT is slow at the others) to show their cards so far.

    • #38813
      99 Red
      Member

      DU is always slow with their freshmen. Lets face it. People don’t always stick around, and the team is huge, maybe there were cuts. But I have some guesses about who is on the team.

      Alphonse Harris – 2:00 200 IM
      Ethan Drutchas – 47.94 100 free, 21.87 50 free
      Robert Meyers – 21.54 50 free, 48.75 100 free (a few years ago)
      Andrew Krawchyk – 1:48.8 200 free, 1:58.81 LCM 200 free
      James Lewing – 1:45.98 200 free, 54.42 100 back
      Kyle Chabot – 54.12 100 bk, 53.93 100 fl, 4:18.4 400 im
      Michael Cobb – 2:01.35 200 im
      Callan Hetterich – 1:43.28 200 free (alt adj to 1:42.08 according to USA swimming)
      Brendan Sullivan – 22.86 50 free
      Ben Terry – 52.87 100 fl, 1:45.10 200 free

      And I think there was a transfer, John Nemeth, 58 low 100 br.

    • #38814
      HOOSIER77
      Member

      99 red if your info is correct Denison 2011 looks pretty weak.

    • #38815
      HOOSIER77
      Member

      Considering the academic standards to which Emory swimmers must comply for acceptance, it would seem that the 2011 class, overall, is as good as it gets. That coupled with still developing 2010, talent should make them a force to be reckoned with
      come March.

    • #38816
      silentp
      Member

      @HOOSIER77 wrote:

      Considering the academic standards to which Emory swimmers must comply for acceptance, it would seem that the 2011 class, overall, is as good as it gets. That coupled with still developing 2010, talent should make them a force to be reckoned with
      come March.

      And Kenyon’s are low? What about MIT or Williams?

      This is as good as it gets? 2010 was much better than this, so this comment makes no sense at all.

      Of course Emory will be a force to be reckoned with come March, they always are… last year they came in very close to Kenyon in scoring the psych sheet, and ahead of Denison, but then they didn’t swim great (overall) at nationals and got 3rd.

      Last year we were talking about Emory challenging Kenyon:
      https://d3swimming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1949

      This isn’t a great class from Denison, but I wouldn’t be surprise if it’s enough for Parini to work with and keep them in 2nd, for 2008 at least. They got some of the relay help that will be good.

    • #38817
      swim5599
      Member

      As for the comment about the 95 U of M team that won NCAA’s. Take into consideration that was 13 years ago. The sport has changed. It would be very difficult to win that way again.

    • #38818

      The sport has changed, but the meets format has not. It was difficult for them to win the meet the way they did, but they proved it was possible, which was my point, it is possible.

    • #38819
      Vic
      Member

      @swim5599 wrote:

      As for the comment about the 95 U of M team that won NCAA’s. Take into consideration that was 13 years ago. The sport has changed. It would be very difficult to win that way again.

      Why would it be more difficult? Like ACT said, the meet format hasn’t changed. It was tough then, and it’s still tough, but I don’t think it’s gotten tougher.

    • #38820
      swim5599
      Member

      We place more emphasis on sprinting now. ANd Michigan won that title because of a guy by the name of Tom Dolan tearing the world up over 3 days.

    • #38821
      swim5599
      Member

      I would have to look back but I am almost sure that Michigan only finished in the top 5 in one of the sprint related relays. The 4 medley and I might even be wrong on that, but I would have to say that no one wins the d 1 title that way anymore.

    • #38822

      I don’t see how sprinting has more emphisis now then it did then. Sprinting became more of an emphasis when the NCAA add the 200 free and Medlay relays. Yes, Dolan may have been ripping it up, but it takes more then one man win a title. Dolan may have been more talented, but Gustabo Borges (sp?) was probably more valuable that year as he won then 50, 100, and 200 frees and made their sprint relays competitve. As for no one wins the D1 title that way any more, Michigan is the only one to win the title that way. It is not any more difficult to win the meet that way then it is now. It was difficult, it still is difficult, but still possible.

    • #38823
      silentp
      Member

      Why are we looking at D1 for an example?

      2007:

      Kenyon: 1 up, 1 down 50; 1 up, 1 down 100
      Denison: none 50; 1 up 100

      2006:

      Kenyon: none, 50; none, 100
      Denison: 1 up, 50; 1 down, 100

      Last I checked, there were 1-2 in both of those meets (didn’t feel like going back further, but i bet you see more of the same).

    • #38824
      N Dynamite
      Member

      But who won the 200 FR both those years? I think Kenyon knows how to sprint, they just know how to do everything else also. Their guys can only swim 3 individuals (just like everyone else), they have to make some choices – they just didn’t choose to swim the 50 or 100 (well, other than Mitchell)

    • #38825
      DonCheadle
      Member

      You cannot compare D1 to D3 because a 100 backstroker with A cuts, a 200 IM’er with A cuts and 2 sprinters with no cuts can put together a top 8 relay at D3. Not so in D1.

    • #38826
      swim5599
      Member

      My point was this regarding Michigan. I can’t rememember the last time a team only placed top5 in one of the sprint related relays and won. If you take that same type of team that Michigan had then they do not win today. ANd I loved that team.

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.