Drag Suits

Forums General General Drag Suits

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #12901
      swimmerdude
      Member

      I was wondering what teams in D3 race in drag around the country. I know a lot of D1 schools race in speedos and or fast suits. And i know that Kenyon definetly does duel meets in drag. My question is what other teams do? I know JHU swims very fast early on and in duel meets, are they just in speedos?

    • #42164

      i think it might be preference for a lot of ppl instead of a team standard, i know i’ve seen kids on the same team one w/ drag one w/o.

      personally i always swim w/ drag, so i don’t make ppl look bad 8)

    • #42165
      CaseBrst10
      Member

      @swimmerdude wrote:

      And i know that Kenyon definetly does duel meets in drag. My question is what other teams do?

      haha that just sounds like Kenyon Men race in women’s clothing

    • #42166
      wonderboy33
      Member

      I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of teams racing in drag suits. What exactly would be the point of this? I understand the point of training with drag suits but I would think competition would be a different story.

    • #42167
      Colbybr
      Member

      @wonderboy33 wrote:

      I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of teams racing in drag suits. What exactly would be the point of this? I understand the point of training with drag suits but I would think competition would be a different story.

      Being able to say you were wearing a drag suit in case you lose a close race? I agree and don’t see the purpose of this. But I think certain old school elements in the sport really want to accomplish the “lets swim slow until we shave and taper and drop tons of time” season while others figure they should swim as fast as they can in every meet. I think both philosophies are valid but I’m definitely for wearing regular racing suits and maybe the occasional fastskin in a dual meet

    • #42168
      wonderboy33
      Member

      I’m with you. I would wear regular suits and maybe throw a fastskin on for a mid-season taper meet or a big invitational. Do coaches really expect to convince their swimmers that they had such a great taper because they dropped a lot of time partially due to the suits they wore during the season? Is this really something that Kenyon does?

    • #42169
      99 Red
      Member

      I lived back in the days of paper suits being the fast thing. Drag suits=comfort. Paper=pelvic bruising. The choice was easy. How comfortable are the fastskins to wear around the deck? Because the old drag suits were pretty easy.

    • #42170
      Colbybr
      Member

      Fast skins are typically pretty tough to put on but ok when they are dry. When wet they can really suction in and cause some pain and itching in my experience. I tried to wear mine as little as possible when I was shaved.

    • #42171

      when wet they can really suction in and cause some pain and itching in my experience

      Yes, crabs will do that to you.

      (cue rimshot)
      But seriously, fastskins suck ass to wear around. They are murder on your legs. I would always rip mine off as soon as I got out of the water.

    • #42172

      Screeeeeech,
      That’s funny. We had “paper suits” in our day. Peter Smith, Jon’s predecessor at Emory, used to buy us two for NCAA’s. I used to get two sizes: my 200-500 free size, and my 1650 size (technical suits were cheaper in those days, $29). Either way, I couldn’t wait to get out of them, and delayed getting into those as much as possible at major meets at Emory (’91 and ’93 NCAA’s). My teammates and I would change in the back room behind the blocks rather than walk all the way around the pool to the lockerrooms. And change right out after races and before warm-down.

    • #42173
      Low Tide
      Member

      I still have some paper suits and should pull them out for the next alumni meet 🙂

      I never saw much use for wearing a real drag suit at dual meets. I think you need to feel ‘fast’ a few times a year throughout the season for just the confidence booster. I wanted meets to feel like meets, and not just a sprint at practice.

    • #42174

      On a training note: my high school coach had everyone train in polyester old school (50s-era) women’s suits with a t-shirt and long underwear on underneath. We’d do this for like 3-4 weeks prior to taper. I never knew any different and assumed all teams did this since I didn’t swim club or anything… then when I got to college, we never did anything like that.

      Do other teams do any similar “drag” training?

    • #42175
      maverick1
      Member

      i tried something along those lines (t-shirt, long underwear legs)a few times in high school but then dropped it and went with tights, drag suit and bandana (sp?) because the t shirt and long underwear just impeded my technique way to much.

    • #42176
      WCSwmFan
      Member

      At Westminster during duel meets, unless it was a big duel, coach always wanted us to wear two suits, not really wearing a drag, but just having an extra one on under your team suit, I’m not really sure what it did for us, but thats what we did

    • #42177

      Get it right dudes — it’s ‘dual’ meets, not ‘duel’ unless you are Aaron Burr trying to assassinate someone.

    • #42178

      Do other teams do any similar “drag” training?

      My team doesn’t: I find that the pancake make-up runs all over the place and the wigs just get in the way….

    • #42179

      I never wore drag suits in college, not even for practice. The drag causes your hips to sink in the water and alters your body position, not good for your stroke at all. Most of the guys stopped using them when we were told this.

      I just used water polo suits because they are made out of better fabric that doesnt get killed by chlorine as bad. Used the same one for 3 years.

      T-shirts and that kid of stuff I used on occasion, for power stuff, but not a lot because that really kills your stroke and your shoulders.

    • #42180
      swimmerdude
      Member

      @wonderboy33 wrote:

      I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of teams racing in drag suits. What exactly would be the point of this? I understand the point of training with drag suits but I would think competition would be a different story.

      It does seem odd to race in drag. But kenyon has won 28 years in a row…so maybe its working?

    • #42181

      @JHUBreaststroke06 wrote:

      I never wore drag suits in college, not even for practice. The drag causes your hips to sink in the water and alters your body position, not good for your stroke at all. Most of the guys stopped using them when we were told this.

      We were told the same thing. Drag really messes up body position in the water and doesn’t give you the correct feeling while swimming. While in high school during taper I was all about not shaving until the last possible moment and then when shaved wearing as much drag as possible to minimize losing that great feeling of not having any body hair. It took me a little while in college to get off this mindset but finally occurred to me that it was actually better to get a good feeling for the water without any drag since that was how I was going to be racing. When I coached H.S. I told my guys the same thing, allow you body to experience what it feels like with as little drag as possible, especially when you shave and taper.

    • #42182

      @Lt. Mitch Buchannon wrote:

      @JHUBreaststroke06 wrote:

      I never wore drag suits in college, not even for practice. The drag causes your hips to sink in the water and alters your body position, not good for your stroke at all. Most of the guys stopped using them when we were told this.

      We were told the same thing. Drag really messes up body position in the water and doesn’t give you the correct feeling while swimming. While in high school during taper I was all about not shaving until the last possible moment and then when shaved wearing as much drag as possible to minimize losing that great feeling of not having any body hair. It took me a little while in college to get off this mindset but finally occurred to me that it was actually better to get a good feeling for the water without any drag since that was how I was going to be racing. When I coached H.S. I told my guys the same thing, allow you body to experience what it feels like with as little drag as possible, especially when you shave and taper.

      Exactly. I did the same thing in HS, and it no longer makes any sense to me, haha. Plus it was a hassle.

    • #42183
      Derek
      Member

      @BreakingTheSurface wrote:

      Get it right dudes — it’s ‘dual’ meets, not ‘duel’ unless you are Aaron Burr trying to assassinate someone.

      That’s not really fair to Aaron Burr… he was misinformed!

    • #42184
      wonderboy33
      Member

      @swimmerdude wrote:

      It does seem odd to race in drag. But kenyon has won 28 years in a row…so maybe its working?

      They have been successful, no question. Their taper is so highly touted. It seems they never “miss” a taper. Could part of the reason why they have such a great taper be due to the fact that they use drag suits up until taper time? Have we confirmed that they always use drag suits in season yet?

    • #42185
      wonderboy33
      Member

      I remember when I was 11, we used to wear t-shirts and shoes, strap on a bungee cord and swim 500’s. As scrawny as I was, I would end up swimming as far as I could, then pull on the lane line to the other end. Crazy.

    • #42186

      we used to fill jugs up with water and pull with them on, it was really hard and we stopped after a couple years cuz we started doing every set with them and just went super slow.

    • #42187
      Colbybr
      Member

      @wonderboy33 wrote:

      @swimmerdude wrote:

      It does seem odd to race in drag. But kenyon has won 28 years in a row…so maybe its working?

      They have been successful, no question. Their taper is so highly touted. It seems they never “miss” a taper. Could part of the reason why they have such a great taper be due to the fact that they use drag suits up until taper time? Have we confirmed that they always use drag suits in season yet?

      They were almost all wearing fastskins at the Kenyon Invite.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.