Can Denison win 4 relays?

Forums General National Championships Can Denison win 4 relays?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #11980
      silentp
      Member

      I know this is a bit off topic, but could Denison win 4 relays? I find it highly unlikely, but is it impossible? Their toughest win would be the 200 FR, but the other 3 could likely happen.

    • #30737
      swim5599
      Member

      Well I think it might be safe to say they are the fav’s in the 800 and 400 FR. ANd they will have a shot at two others, so yeah it could happen

    • #30738
      99 Red
      Member

      Hey, nobody is a bigger Denison backer than I am (actually, thats not true at all, but the others don’t post here much). But even I have to say no here. While DU has some great free studs, you need to win a medley to win 4 relays. Who are they going to get to swim Breast? I’m sure they will be able to come up with somebody to keep it respectable, but you usually need somebody better than respectable to win. Breastroke is, after all, the biggest part of a MR.

      DU probably has its strongest freestyle group there now, but I think their strokes are down a little bit.

      PS Denison is having its intersquad meet this weekend. That might give us an early peak at the freshmen.

    • #30739
      zinlover
      Member

      I think it is conceivable that between Dunn, Christian, Volsen, Harris, Mitchell, Schneider, A. Berger, a freshman, that KC will be in the running for the 800 Free Relay. I think these guys could all potentially go 1:40. Am I missing something as to why KC is being counted out of the 800, with one person indicating that they may be below the line?

    • #30740
      N Dynamite
      Member

      @zinlover wrote:

      I think it is conceivable that between Dunn, Christian, Volsen, Harris, Mitchell, Schneider, A. Berger, a freshman, that KC will be in the running for the 800 Free Relay. I think these guys could all potentially go 1:40. Am I missing something as to why KC is being counted out of the 800, with one person indicating that they may be below the line?

      Probably because they finished 9th last year. Obviously they could do things differently this year, but that definitely showed they have a little weakness. Plus, if those guys could all go 1:40 why weren’t they in the top 16 of the 200 last year? Their highest finisher in the 200 was Christian at 1:43.35 (24th). Obviously Dunn was doing distance, but what about the others? The short frees were very weak (for Kenyon and by Kenyon standards) last year. In fact, between the 50, 100, and 200 they didn’t have anyone in the top 16 – Duda was a huge part of the relays and he obviously graduated.

    • #30741
      zinlover
      Member

      Why did they finish 9th? For one, they put Brennion in the race. No one has been abel to explain that to me other than as a farewell swim. But I am sure I missed something strategic. Christian and Harris went well under 1:44 during the season. Second, I am thinking that all these guys will improve on their performance from last year. That is the Steen way, right? Christian and Harris did 1:42 during the season. Dunn did a 1:41. Volsen is very solid and there may be some hot freshman.

    • #30742
      silentp
      Member

      @zinlover wrote:

      Why did they finish 9th? For one, they put Brennion in the race. No one has been abel to explain that to me other than as a farewell swim. But I am sure I missed something strategic. Christian and Harris went well under 1:44 during the season. Second, I am thinking that all these guys will improve on their performance from last year. That is the Steen way, right? Christian and Harris did 1:42 during the season. Dunn did a 1:41. Volsen is very solid and there may be some hot freshman.

      I think the reason they arne’t considered to be in the running right now is that those are A LOT more question marks than Denison has. They are set and even added another freshmen with sub 1:42 potential without a doubt. I’d never completely count out Kenyon though.

    • #30743
      N Dynamite
      Member

      Just for argument’s sake (because I believe you can’t count Kenyon out either), if you replace Brennion with either Harris or Christian you are looking at a drop of about 3 seconds (generously speaking). That puts them around 6:47. Good enough for 4th, but still seven seconds behind first. Granted Denison graduated one guy, but he was their slowest. They could have put a 1:49 on there instead of the senior and still beat Kenyon in that race last year.

      Kenyon could pull it off, but I still believe they’re a dark horse.

    • #30744
      The Treat
      Member

      @N Dynamite wrote:

      Just for argument’s sake (because I believe you can’t count Kenyon out either), if you replace Brennion with either Harris or Christian you are looking at a drop of about 3 seconds (generously speaking). That puts them around 6:47. Good enough for 4th, but still seven seconds behind first. Granted Denison graduated one guy, but he was their slowest. They could have put a 1:49 on there instead of the senior and still beat Kenyon in that race last year.

      Kenyon could pull it off, but I still believe they’re a dark horse.

      if denison doesnt DQ, kenyon will NOT pull off the 800 free relay. NO. no chance. if someone will take me on, i will put up ANY amount of money that they dont win it. i give it zero chance. people always say dont say never, but if denison doesnt dq, i am saying never. call me crazy, but they could have 3 (maybe 4) guys under 1:40. how many does kenyon have under 1:41? zero. yes they graduated 3 guys from that relay and yes they had some guys go 1:42 during season (tapered or not), but they had zero in finals and consols of the 200. denison loses their slowest leg from that relay, but had geissinger (a frosh) who was faster (and made consols) than the guy who is leaving. generously, i could put kenyon at 6:44-6:45. thats still 4-5 seconds from denisons LAST year time.

      you can put up times that these guys went in season but there are at least two things wrong with that. 1) we dont know if they were tapered/rested/etc… dont try and tell me they were tapered, i wont believe you. 2) the 800 free relay isnt just an “on paper” swim. what i mean by this is that you have to swim two full days of swimming before you get to that relay. its more tiring than you think. denison has shown they can do it.

    • #30745
      The Treat
      Member

      to make matters worse, there are three teams ahead of kenyon from last year who return all their swimmers. they’re probably not getting any slower.

    • #30746
      neswim
      Member

      @The Treat wrote:

      if denison doesnt DQ, kenyon will NOT pull off the 800 free relay. NO. no chance. if someone will take me on, i will put up ANY amount of money that they dont win it.

      Don’t you think it more prudent to wait until the Kenyon roster is published before you start betting on Denision at long odds? I do think it unlikely that Kenyon will win given what we know. I also think it HIGHLY unlikely, or should I say NO, no chance, that Kenyon will field an 800 relay that is a “slow” as last year. I will put up ANY amount of money on that….any takers?

    • #30747
      silentp
      Member

      Kenyon will be better, but I am with Treat here, they can’t touch Denison. 3 guys under 1:40 would be insane, but i am still not sure they could break the record. I am sure one of the Pioneer boys will have no trouble filling the shoes and stepping up to help this relay dominate. Since I only know of 1 (but there are probably more) d3 recruit coming in under 1:40, I wouldn’t think you have to really look at the freshmen.

      So they will win this and I take them to win the 400 FR, but 3 or 4 relays? Is that possible? I just noticed they didn’t even get their 200 FR under the line.

    • #30748
      swim5599
      Member

      Yeah it has been a long time since I have thought one team was an overwhelming fav in any relay, but this is the year. Denison is the overwhelming fav in the 800. I think you are probaby going to see something in the 6:38 range from them. There is just no way anyone comes with in 2-3 seconds of them.

    • #30749
      The Treat
      Member

      @neswim wrote:

      @The Treat wrote:

      if denison doesnt DQ, kenyon will NOT pull off the 800 free relay. NO. no chance. if someone will take me on, i will put up ANY amount of money that they dont win it.

      Don’t you think it more prudent to wait until the Kenyon roster is published before you start betting on Denision at long odds? I do think it unlikely that Kenyon will win given what we know. I also think it HIGHLY unlikely, or should I say NO, no chance, that Kenyon will field an 800 relay that is a “slow” as last year. I will put up ANY amount of money on that….any takers?

      oh, kenyon will be faster. thats a pretty safe bet. i dont need to see any roster to know that they havent gotten anything that will get them that close. if they signed someone that huge, we’d have have heard about it already.

    • #30750
      silentp
      Member

      Since most people agree Denison won’t win 4 and probably not even 3, any chance Kenyon only wins 1, or even worse, none? I mean they will still win the meet, but think about it, they could be shut out, although they are the favorite in the 400MR, although as far as favorites, that might be all right now…

    • #30751
      swim5599
      Member

      I hesitate to ever say anything against them, because I was pretty sure they were not going to win 4 relays last year, yet they still did. Until they don’t actually do it, I have to say some how some way, they will probably pull off the 400 MR, and maybe the 200 mr.

    • #30752
      Gyorf
      Member

      remember when kenyon got 9th. haha. that was awesome. go wheaton!!

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.