Calvin MIA

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #12021
      Stingray
      Member

      Ok, so I don’t know about everyone else, but I noticed that Calvin had some swimmers missing. Weima being probably the most obvious. Now, I heard a rumor that this was because they had a travel team, and they were only taking the whole team to meets they couldn’t win without everyone. Is this true? If its true, is it legal?

    • #31254
      Derek
      Member

      AJP will tell us if it is true. Right?

      As for legal, absolutely. You are not required to swim.

      However, it’s shady. I could understand if it were to give teammates a chance to swim and score, but at a meet like the relay meet, there is no reason to sit out. Not to mention, there is always the option of exhibition for somebody like Weima. It’s disrespectful to the rest of the MIAA.

      Of course, I could be posting too soon and she might have had a legitimate reason for sitting out and will be back as soon as she can…. AJP?

    • #31255
      Waldo
      Member

      I heard something about a wedding she was attending or something on deck from a few of the ladies??

    • #31256
      Alterego
      Member

      Waldo,

      Seems to me there are better things to be doing on deck than talking to ‘a few of the ladies.’

    • #31257
      silentp
      Member

      I disagree… waldo should be talkin to the ladies at this point in the season and later in the year, concentrating on swimming, which the women will view as “playing hard to get”, then after leagues he’ll have his choice of the field.

      As for the calvin women, more power to them. It might only be a couple of girls, but let them sit. Kenyon has been doing this for a long time. Gustavus will often swim 2 teams on the same day, sometimes they split talent, other times they let more of the B team swim the lesser team… then again gustavus has like 50 people on their team.

    • #31258
      SwexasTim
      Member

      wiema was in iowa for a wedding of one of bagnolls friend. Calvin would not have her sit out a meet if she was around.

    • #31259
      SixBags
      Member

      The word on the street is Luke Bagnall made her go back to Iowa for a wedding. I think she’ll be back in action against Alma, unless someone else knows something that I don’t. There was no intention to disrepect any of the other swimmers.
      I did hear that the Calvin ladies cleaned up without Becky, just shows that Calvin ladies will be strong for years to come. However, this is their year to place their highest at nationals.

      My prediction for this year: Matt Herrema will have a break out year and lead the Calvin men to another strong finish at conference. Never underestimate leadership, a lot of teams have talent on their rosters, but few have strong leaders like Tuuk and Herrema for Calvin.

      My MIAA team comparison to NFL teams.
      Kzoo-Arizona Cardinals-lots of talent, but too young. Will be battling for the title in years to come. End of the year quote from coach, “The Bears are who we thought they were and we crowned their a**.”
      Hope-Dallas Cowboys, my uncle is from Dallas, so I really have nothing good to say about the Cowboys.
      Olivet-Steelers-former champs, start off slow in the year and usually finish strong. Hopefully they weren’t riding without helmets this summer.
      Calvin-Bears-Defense added some depth and they have some key players playing some key roles. Put Ditka in as coach…”Next Question.”
      Alma-Lions-the drought continues. New coach hopes to locate Barry to bring fans back into stands.
      Albion-Giants-Jeremy Shockey isn’t as good as he thinks he is. Love his face after their kicker missed the field goal last year. Young quarterback can put up some good numbers though.

      Anyone care to make their own analogy

    • #31260
      T-Bone
      Member

      I heard there was also a very nice wedding shower, at which, Becky and Luke received some fine gifts from Pampered Chef.

    • #31261
      silentp
      Member

      Kzoo = Cardinals? Come on! Calvin = Bears? Come on! No chance.

      Calvin = Texans… got a solid first rounder in toll, but people will always make fun of you because he’ll never be as good as reggie bush or even matt leinart (ellis and heyboer)

      Kzoo = Saints… have the talent but still no one believes in them… soon they’ll prove everyone wrong, plus the whole reggie bush thing

    • #31262
      stiles
      Member

      I am not going to lie, the Texans and the saints are right on. As well as the Lions as Alma. For Albion, I am not really sure. Hope? I’d say they are like the Patriots….started a dynasty, then had a down year but is looking ot comeback by filling in the gaps they are missing.

      For Olivet, I might look outside the realm of football, to say baseball? The ’97 Florida Marlins of the MIAA. Attendance (enrollment) was down so they go out and build a winner by whatever financial means necessary. But the underlying financial strength of the organization was shaky and the team had to be liquidated, much like what will happen to Olivet College as a whole on a more permanent basis over the next 5 years.

      Thoughts?

    • #31263
      DonCheadle
      Member

      You cannot possibly compare football to swimming. Everyone in hte league would want a 15 year old Micheal Phelps on their team, experience doesn’t mean anything.

      Anyhow, if Calvin beats Kzoo (men) at league meet this year, I’ll allow any of the Calvin women to use my seed to produce offspring.

    • #31264
      silentp
      Member

      @stiles wrote:

      I am not going to lie, the Texans and the saints are right on. As well as the Lions as Alma. For Albion, I am not really sure. Hope? I’d say they are like the Patriots….started a dynasty, then had a down year but is looking ot comeback by filling in the gaps they are missing.

      Thoughts?

      Started a dynasty? They lost for 8 straight years, then won it for two years, then lost it again. I can’t call that a dynasty, but then again, this is michigan, where people think the Pistons are a dynasty with their 1 banner. I do think the Pats are a good analogy though and the most logical comparison, but not because of the “dynasty”.

      Olivet should be the Bengals. I think the reasons here are obvious, so i won’t get into detials.

      Cheadle, are you sure the women of Calvin want your seed? I mean, do they really want short kids? ๐Ÿ™‚

    • #31265
      miller
      Member

      @Derek wrote:

      AJP will tell us if it is true. Right?

      As for legal, absolutely. You are not required to swim.

      However, it’s shady. I could understand if it were to give teammates a chance to swim and score, but at a meet like the relay meet, there is no reason to sit out. Not to mention, there is always the option of exhibition for somebody like Weima. It’s disrespectful to the rest of the MIAA.

      Of course, I could be posting too soon and she might have had a legitimate reason for sitting out and will be back as soon as she can…. AJP?

      I don’t find it disrespectful to leave part of your team home if you don’t feel like bringing them.

      My 4 years were marked by the famous “freshmen only” Adrian meet (back when they had a team). We only sent freshmen, those who were in trouble and an assistant coach to swim in their barn.

      Come to think of it, that was disrespectful….but I still approve of it.

    • #31266
      quacker
      Member

      P, say what you want about swimming, but please leave the basketball talk to others. Firstly, the Pistons have 3 banners and secondly, nobody in his or her right mind, even in Michigan, would claim that 1 title in 2004 equates to a dynasty in that era.

      But I suppose they might be considered a relative dynasty in comparision to your Pacers. Oh, I burned you good on that one.

    • #31267

      @SixBags wrote:

      My prediction for this year: Matt Herrema will have a break out year and lead the Calvin men to another strong finish at conference. Never underestimate leadership, a lot of teams have talent on their rosters, but few have strong leaders like Tuuk and Herrema for Calvin.

      It is fine to predict that Calvin will have a strong year. However, I just don’t understand how you can back that up by saying they have strong leaders and the rest of the conference just doesn’t have the leadership Calvin does. I am confident Hope is plenty happy with the leadership provided by Waterstone and Holton and Kzoo is probably pretty content with the leadership provided by guys like Arce and Fenwick. Lots of guys that swim in the MIAA for four years are strong leaders, it is just hard for me to believe that Tuuk and Herrema are really such standouts relative to the rest of the MIAA.

    • #31268
      iamdonovan
      Member

      No disrespect to Arce’ and Fenwick, mind you… but how could you forget the second year captain, Chris Heintz? I’d say that’s a pretty strong indicator of leadership, being that this is the second year that the Zoo swimmers thought he should represent them.

    • #31269
      silentp
      Member

      @quacker wrote:

      P, say what you want about swimming, but please leave the basketball talk to others. Firstly, the Pistons have 3 banners and secondly, nobody in his or her right mind, even in Michigan, would claim that 1 title in 2004 equates to a dynasty in that era.

      But I suppose they might be considered a relative dynasty in comparision to your Pacers. Oh, I burned you good on that one.

      I have heard it said more than once, but i am glad you are not of that mindset. Agreed that the pacers do not have a dynasty, except perhaps of voilence… just one more act and we will have that voilence dynasty.

      Any chance the running thread of the Alma Men vs the Opposing Women comes back?

    • #31270
      SwexasTim
      Member

      ok here’s the deal, there was a lot of talk about the patriots being a dynasty. But no one would give them that title until they won the thrid super bowl in four years. I would say hope is set up to do that. However, can i consider that a dynasty, prolly not b/c unlike football, in the miaa if you win a year you will be competing for the title a minimum of 2 more years. Dynastys in miaa swimmng consist more of dominance over a decade or more.

    • #31271
      miller
      Member

      @SwexasTim wrote:

      ok here’s the deal, there was a lot of talk about the patriots being a dynasty. But no one would give them that title until they won the thrid super bowl in four years. I would say hope is set up to do that. However, can i consider that a dynasty, prolly not b/c unlike football, in the miaa if you win a year you will be competing for the title a minimum of 2 more years. Dynastys in miaa swimmng consist more of dominance over a decade or more.

      If it takes a decade there has only been one MIAA dynasty: Kzoo in the 1980s.

    • #31272
      SwexasTim
      Member

      yeah i’m going to catch hell from my fellow alumni for that….but i have to agree w/ you

    • #31273
      facenorth
      Member

      I think 10 years may be a bit much. But if you’re winning titles year in and year out with different people, to me that is a dynasty. Now for the wise guy out there that says every team is different, I am more referring to, you come in as a freshman, you win, you graduate as a senior and the following year, you still win. That’s a dynasty to me in college sports. Not just the same core of guys doing the job but extending over a period of time and an era of guys. Hope in the early 90s? Debatable in my opinion. K in the 80s, yes. K from mid 90s until we dethroned them, yes.

    • #31274
      miller
      Member

      @facenorth wrote:

      I think 10 years may be a bit much. But if you’re winning titles year in and year out with different people, to me that is a dynasty. Now for the wise guy out there that says every team is different, I am more referring to, you come in as a freshman, you win, you graduate as a senior and the following year, you still win. That’s a dynasty to me in college sports. Not just the same core of guys doing the job but extending over a period of time and an era of guys. Hope in the early 90s? Debatable in my opinion. K in the 80s, yes. K from mid 90s until we dethroned them, yes.

      I think Hope in the early 90s was as much a dynasty as K in the 96-dethroning period.

    • #31275
      DonCheadle
      Member

      P, I am short? I think we are the same height. just a shade over 6′ Anyhow, there are 2.5 Billion women on this planet, and over half of them want to my seed.

      (that is a line from Dwayne Johnson)

    • #31276
      Lane2AllStar
      Member

      hey cheadle i found a nice picture of you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

      http://img.timeinc.net/ew/features/980626/itlist/img/cheadle.jpg

    • #31277
      facenorth
      Member

      I think you used to have an avatar like that. It was kind of creepy. I’m glad you changed it.

    • #31278
      N Dynamite
      Member

      @facenorth wrote:

      I think you used to have an avatar like that. It was kind of creepy. I’m glad you changed it.

      I remember that one – It wasn’t kind of creepy, it was nightmarish.

    • #31279
      silentp
      Member

      @DonCheadle wrote:

      P, I am short? I think we are the same height. just a shade over 6′ Anyhow, there are 2.5 Billion women on this planet, and over half of them want to my seed.

      (that is a line from Dwayne Johnson)

      Huh, i thought you were shorter, my bad. Perhaps they do want your seed, perhaps they do…

    • #31280
      iamdonovan
      Member

      That was his avatar… I remember, since it was seared into my mind. Thank you for changing it, cheadle.

    • #31281
      Colleen
      Member

      I would like your seed Cheadle. I would be absolutely honored.

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.