50 freestyle finals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

Did anyone else see Hagemeyer leaning/moving before the start? it was very obvious, and i think there would have been a different outcome of the race had the officials given the order to stand up. i can’t believe they didn’t catch that. i think koch would have won it had he not been in lane 2. his starts looked a hell of a lot better than they have in the past.

Deep Water

Giving the order to stand up does not disqualify anyone. Who’s to say it would affect one swimmer more than another. If Koch was in a bad lane its his fault. If you want a good lane swim fast in prelims. I’m not saying he slacked in prelims but you swim prelims to place yourself for finals.

I remember once at Nationals in the 50 Hagemeyer and the guy next to him were leaning a little. Hagemeyer thought they were being called to stand up and the horn went off. He left literally a full second latter than everyone else and ended up being like 17th or something. I have never seen a faster 50 in my life. He gave everyone a full second lead and didn’t have a good push off the blocks and still managed to catch up.

Deep Water wrote:
      Giving the order to stand up does not disqualify anyone.

But it would keep the race fair. isn’t every swimmer supposed to hold steady on the blocks?

RustieGustie

@That Just Happened wrote:

Did anyone else see Hagemeyer leaning/moving before the start? it was very obvious, and i think there would have been a different outcome of the race had the officials given the order to stand up. i can’t believe they didn’t catch that. i think koch would have won it had he not been in lane 2. his starts looked a hell of a lot better than they have in the past.

I assume you are thinking that Koch might have won the race? He still would have had to beat Amundson though. Also, Hagemeyer’s 19.76 anchor on the 200 free relay seems to suggest that he would have been hard to beat in the 50 even if he didn’t have a great start.

Deep Water

I have never seen someone who is leaning have an advantage over the other swimmers. In almost all cases the person is leaning due to lack of balance and it working hard to stop from moving and does not really having an advantage in leaving the blocks earlier than anyone else. When someone false starts they are almost never leaning, they just take off. That is why leaning during a start results in a “stand up” and not a false start. They stand them up because it is distracting to the other swimmers and may cause the other swimmers to false start if they see someone else moving.

Too many ifs here. If I was younger, if I was fast, if I was a sprinter, if I was 10 feet tall, if I was the strongest, faster man alive, I could have won the 50 too.
      But I am not. The 50 is over with, too bad. Whatever happened, happened, no point whining about it now.
      Remember, there will be a 50 at nationals and all three will be there.

Kari Byron

Did anyone else see Hagemeyer leaning/moving before the start? it was very obvious, and i think there would have been a different outcome of the race had the officials given the order to stand up.

If it was as bad as you say it was I would think the officials would call it. Since they didn’t, I can only assume that either: a) you’re blowing it WAY out of proportion, b) you’re Jake Koch or any Olie fan, or c) you weren’t there.

Don’t make mountains out of mole hills and don’t make accusations that have no way to be supported. Maybe on a restart Koch slips and breaks his foot. Maybe Amundson hits the bottom and is concussed. Maybe Christianson skips like a rock and goes 17.46. You’re being ridiculous.

The Treat

@Deep Water wrote:

I remember once at Nationals in the 50 Hagemeyer and the guy next to him were leaning a little. Hagemeyer thought they were being called to stand up and the horn went off. He left literally a full second latter than everyone else and ended up being like 17th or something. I have never seen a faster 50 in my life. He gave everyone a full second lead and didn’t have a good push off the blocks and still managed to catch up.

i dont know about a full second. he went 21.1 that race but still only managed a 20.7 and a 20.8 later in the meet. now maybe he went super fast for that race, but i’d say he lost about a half a second on that start. it still sucks slipping on those blocks. that was the year at hope, i hate those type of blocks. i worked for about 2 hours that whole week getting my start right. i dont know how those plastic blocks are still in fast/championship pools. the sandpaper type blocks are just plain better.

koch did go 20.7 to lead off the 200 free relay. but it’s a true story: all three will be at nationals. it was a great race the first time, and this one should be even better.

Kari Byron

If it’s like past years, Olaf is gunning for Nats and Gac was gunning for Conference. Koch takes out the big horses in Houston by .3 or more.

frizzy

For the record, it was a long time that we were held down in that Championship Final heat of the 50. I was a little jumpy after seeing a teammate and roommate get a DQ in the morning in the 50, so I eventually flinched and subsequently rocked back… The gun went of as I was totally back, whereas I was expecting to be stood up. Lucky me.

Quote:
      If it was as bad as you say it was I would think the officials would call it. Since they didn’t, I can only assume that either: a) you’re blowing it WAY out of proportion, b) you’re Jake Koch or any Olie fan, or c) you weren’t there.

i was timing lane 4, pretty sure i was there and had a clear view…david free-ho agress it ws iffy.

silentpp
      Kari Byron wrote:

Don’t make mountains out of mole hills and don’t make accusations that have no way to be supported. Maybe on a restart Koch slips and breaks his foot. Maybe Amundson hits the bottom and is concussed. Maybe Christianson skips like a rock and goes 17.46. You’re being ridiculous.

How did I miss the genius of this post the first time I read it? Not only does Kari accuse Jake Koch of being a poor sport, which is a rather offensive suggestion, but also points out the utter infallibility of all officials. Never, ever in the history of swimming has any official not made the right call. Seriously, it doesn’t happen, those guys are perfect. Like when Kosuke Kitajima won the 100 Breaststroke in 2004. Gaines was out of line in reviewing the turn, because if there had been anything illegal, as Kari points out, it would have been called.

That said, I didn’t notice that Hagermeyer did anything illegal. I just don’t like catty accusations against Jake Koch or Ole fans.

Eladron

i was timing lane 4, pretty sure i was there and had a clear view…david free-ho agress it ws iffy.

Since you say you were in lane 4 and oles were timing in lane 4 that most likely makes you an ole, which may also mean you are a little biased. I would also like to venture a guess based on who my sources tell me was timing that night that you are Kaegan Recher.?.?

SeekUp

@Eladron wrote:

Since you say you were in lane 4 and oles were timing in lane 4 that most likely makes you an ole, which may also mean you are a little biased. I would also like to venture a guess based on who my sources tell me was timing that night that you are Kaegan Recher.?.?

The oles were timing in lane 6 or something thursday night but nice try.

all in all, the outcome of the race was probably not effected as far as placing, and it was a great race overall. nationals should be even better, and i see koch going faster. hagemeyer and amundson were very very impressive, and their tie in the 100 was a nice way to end. but let’s not forget who won the meet? i would also like to venture a guess based on who my sources tell me won that meet, and that was the Oles.

Frizzy… how can you claim Ted Marschall is the fastest sprinter on the team when you know it is you?

Nice meet. Hope you make nat cuts in the hondo.

Eladron

That Just Happened

You are correct sir, or madam (apparently guesses are not tollerated on this forum very well) the oles did win and I have congratulated them all personally on a job well done. But the fact remains that you have not confirmed or denied the opinion of people on this forum believe that you are an ole and have just tried to change the topic a couple times now.

@Eladron wrote:

That Just Happened

You are correct sir, or madam (apparently guesses are not tollerated on this forum very well) the oles did win and I have congratulated them all personally on a job well done. But the fact remains that you have not confirmed or denied the opinion of people on this forum believe that you are an ole and have just tried to change the topic a couple times now.

for one thing, i started the topic.
      another thing, my opinions would be the same no matter what my allegiance is. i saw what i saw, i am just trying to validate it with any other opinions.
      why do you oppose me so much? are you a gustie? why does it matter who i support and what does that have to do with anything?
      why are YOU changing the topic by insisting on finding out who i am…if i wanted you to know that, i wouldn’t use a screen name, would i?

RustieGustie

Congratulations to everyone on a great meet. Both the Gusties and the Oles brought out the best in each other as usual (not to mention all the great efforts from the other teams as well). I’m sure neither side really wants to detract from perhaps the greatest MIAC meet in history with poor sportsmanship. So let’s move on and talk about how awesome nationals is going to be for the MIAC.

…david free-ho agress it ws iffy.

Iffy is iffy (wow, isnt that insightful 😉 ), the problem is iffy (by definition) means that it could go either way.
      I am assuming that That Just Happened is an Ole, and therefore has (no matter what he says) a bias. Just as Eladron has the opposite bias (assuming he is/was a Gustie) (not that I give a rat’s ass where and who anyone is). Officials are going to be the people with the least amount of biases.
      Now, I am not saying that officials are always right, but if it was as “obvious” as you say, they likely would have caught it. But it was probably “iffy” to them and they either let it slide or didn’t even notice it. In any case, no amount of whining by one side or the blind denials of the other are going to change the outcome of this race. That fact remains, Hagemeyer’s jiggles before the start did not catch the attention of the officials, and the race was started and Hagemeyer won. Period.
      And as That Just Happened mentions, @That just Happened wrote:

nationals should be even better.

Also, I just wanted to say, things like this:

but let’s not forget who won the meet? i would also like to venture a guess based on who my sources tell me won that meet, and that was the Oles.

are not appropriate. Both teams had a great meet and were good sports (at least from my view in the stands) and there is no need to be a poor winner by rubbing it in others’ faces.

Eladron

You guys are right, and my apologies for the bickering. It was an amazing meet and I’m very glad I was able to attend. Fast swims from every team there. The men of the MIAC look to make another strong showing at nationals this year and the women seem to be set up better than last year. One individual I would like to mention is David Manley he was gone for over half the season, then the first time he gets in the water it is the training trip (which is ballsy in itself) and three top five swims at conference with life time bests. That blows my mind.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.