50 freestyle favorite

Forums General National Championships 50 freestyle favorite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
      swim5599

I know that we have talked at length about who we think will win the 200 FR, I was wondering who might win the 50. Is there a favorite? I think it could be anyone of probably 9 or 10 guys. Will we see even more guys under 21 this year than last?

Good poll topic.

Chris Knight

I’ve got McGlaston. That’s an admittedly biased opinion.

This will be the top 8 (In alphabetical order, not order of finish):

Byers
      Burch
      Callam
      Courage
      McGlaston
      Sweet
      Test
      Whitbeck

It will take a 20.70, maybe faster, to make the final.

gomez2354

@Chris Knight wrote:

It will take a 20.70, maybe faster, to make the final.

that might even be a conservative guess.

its going to be a balls to the wall heat at finals.

silentp

Anyone know how fast the pool is in Houston? Historically the 50’s finaling time has been more based on the pool, than the actual swimmers themselves.

I’m picking Byers, by the way.

The Treat

@silentp wrote:

Anyone know how fast the pool is in Houston? Historically the 50’s finaling time has been more based on the pool, than the actual swimmers themselves.

ill take burch.

N Dynamite

I’ll take Zimarev to follow in the footsteps of Andrew Cox. Hope this kid sticks around a little longer.

N Dynamite

@The Treat wrote:

ill take burch.

That’s an interesting pick – how does he go 45.62 in the 100 but doesn’t qualify the 50? Not saying he won’t be in the mix – it just strikes me as odd. I wouldn’t have even noticed it if you hadn’t picked him.

The Treat

@N Dynamite wrote:

@The Treat wrote:

ill take burch.

That’s an interesting pick – how does he go 45.62 in the 100 but doesn’t qualify the 50? Not saying he won’t be in the mix – it just strikes me as odd. I wouldn’t have even noticed it if you hadn’t picked him.

dont know what happened in his 50 race, but he’ll be up in the mix for sure.

i almost forgot about him too until chris knight put him on his list.

Chris Knight

Tough to ignore that 20.65p from last year. But his recent 21.5 is certainly peculiar.

DonCheadle

@silentp wrote:

Great pool, fast and deep. Good lighting too. Deck space is adequate but not cavernous.

Derek

I’m picking Stover-Fenwick 2008.

swim5599

I am going to go with Test I think. I think he will double as the 50 and 100 free champ. I could see Byers win it also, if he even swims it.

As long as Brad can keep his goggles on, I think he can win it. I think he and Courage will separate themselves from the field.

Swmr46

I think Robert Barrett 20.48 leading off the 200 free relay against MIT (Dec. 9) makes him the clear favorites to win the 50 free this year. No one else has posted a faster time in the 50 free this year in Division 3 then him. Also, it is funny that no one has even mention his name in this conservation.

He went 45.30 in the 100 freestyle, that’s pretty damn good time to. The 50 and 100 free this year at NCAA is going to be stacked with some great sprinters!

I’ll take Courage in the 100 (Test has a long way to catch up I think), and Yuri Dimerov (hows it spelled??) in the 50. Who knows what this kid could do – no swim team, no idea what kind of program he is in… the guy might go out there and break 20.

yswim

You might want to check this out… Yury Zimarov didn’t swim the 50 at ECAC because he was at the US Open. Look at his seed times.

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/_Rainbow/Documents/dabbae83-b7e7-4ab1-89cb-67d373c4a9e9/061130P018.htm

DonCheadle

Joel Rouseau from RPI was at that meet too. 57.3 in the 100 fly.

Anyhow, who is this guy?

The Treat

@Swmr46 wrote:

I think Robert Barrett 20.48 leading off the 200 free relay against MIT (Dec. 9) makes him the clear favorites to win the 50 free this year. No one else has posted a faster time in the 50 free this year in Division 3 then him. Also, it is funny that no one has even mention his name in this conservation.

He went 45.30 in the 100 freestyle, that’s pretty damn good time to. The 50 and 100 free this year at NCAA is going to be stacked with some great sprinters!

i actually picked him as one of my top 3 for last year. i didnt see his time from this year. were those in the top times?

facenorth

If he’s not in the top times, then by all means…add him! The beauty of the Top Times forum is that it holds the nation accountable, instead of the NCAA to publish just what coaches have submitted. It also includes those swims that we are aware of that are almost ‘B’ cuts.

Chris Knight

He’s added.

Incredible swim(s). The 50 is even more incredible when you consider that it was his 4th race of the meet. Wow!

DonCheadle

Did Zelbacher graduate?

facenorth

he was listed as a senior last year.

swim5599

I did not see that he went that fast either. That is a great swim. He is in the mix also.

N Dynamite

So, now that I have a little extra time on my hands, I was curious how Barrett Roberts’ season has gone so far. Here’s what really jumped out at me – he was a 21.38 and 47.17 at the Camel Invite December 2-3, then turns around and goes 20.48 and 45.30 the very next weekend. I’d love to know what he did that week to drop that much time. Regardless – very impressive. Can he go faster?

Wally

I’d love to know what he did that week to drop that much time. Regardless – very impressive. Can he go faster?

According to Gowdy, MIT’s pool is much faster so he rested and shaved his guys for that meet, not the Camel Invite. Not a bad drop for 5 days of rest… huh?

swim5599

yeah that is pretty good, So that is only on 5 days rest? Maybe we could see 20.2 and 44.8 out of him by the end of the year. He will be a player in that tight 100 free race also

Elroy Jetson

@swim5599 wrote:

yeah that is pretty good, So that is only on 5 days rest? Maybe we could see 20.2 and 44.8 out of him by the end of the year. He will be a player in that tight 100 free race also

I’ve gotta tell ya, i don’t disagree that the 50 will be very fast and picking a winner now is basically impossible, but i have a hard time believing that the 100 is going to be all that close. i’ll give Test credit that he’ll be up there, but to me, there’s a clear favorite. There is only one active swimmer in D3 who has been under 45 in the 100 and he’s done it 4 times. Last year his best time (performed in finals at NCAAs) was .62 faster than any other returning swimmer, and is still .54 faster than any other active swimmer has ever done. He’s swimming faster at this point in the year than he was at this point last year. He’s only lost the 100 one time in his entire collegiate career (as far as i can tell) and it was in finals at NCAAs his freshman year. He has been under 44 for a relay split (43.99 in the 400 FR). i’ll be very surprised if Courage is not standing on the top platform in Houston in March. You can say what you want about him not being the top time right now, but this time last year he was 45.57. He ended up 44.51. He’s 45.29 now. I’ll throw it out there – I think he goes 44.2 this year. And, if he’s not tapered now (which I don’t think he is) look out in the 50 also – he was only 21.00 this time last year, he’s 20.63 now.

DonCheadle

I agree Elroy. When he ends up winning by .5 the thought will be, well that was predictable…

swim5599

Courage is the favorite in the 100, but I don’t think he runs away with it. When did he split 43.9? It was not at nats so it must have been at their conf meet last year. ANyone know. The topic was on the 50, and Courage does not get off the block fast enough to win the 50, so it will probably be someone else.

gccswimmer16

43.99 anchoring the 400 Free Relay at the PAC meet last February with a .37 reaction time. (http://www2.gcc.edu/sports/M-Swimming1/0506%20files/06SaturdayFinals.htm)

While he doesn’t get off the blocks fast, he is .4 faster in the 50 than this time last year as Elroy said. I’m not saying he’ll win it. He may not even be the fastest on his team come the end of the year. But he’ll be up there, and if he’s in the final heat, you can’t count him out.

swim5599

I just saw the results from that meet, and I noticed something. He was out in 46.7 when he swam his 200. Had he been out a little slower he could have been 1:39 mid to low. He probably has a better shot at the 200 then the 50, based on his starts. The only problem is David Curtis swims the 200 pretty quickly also. Courage is a great swimmer and moves just an insane amount of water when he swims.

not_a_grover

@swim5599 wrote:

I just saw the results from that meet, and I noticed something. He was out in 46.7 when he swam his 200. Had he been out a little slower he could have been 1:39 mid to low. He probably has a better shot at the 200 then the 50, based on his starts. The only problem is David Curtis swims the 200 pretty quickly also. Courage is a great swimmer and moves just an insane amount of water when he swims.

It sucked to be hit by his wake during practice.

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.