400 MR

Forums General National Championships 400 MR

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author

Ok, so I am bored with the 200 FR. On to the true test of a team, the 400 MR. Who does everyone think will come out on top?

silentp

I see that as of right now, Olaf has 2 votes, how do people see that splitting out for them to win? I’d think they could do this:

= 2:22.5
      But i don’t think that will win it.

All the relays have at least 1 weakness… Kenyon has the strongest middle, Hopkins has the strongest anchor. It should be an interesting race to watch because Hopkins will be weak in the middle and Kenyon will be weak on the ends (weak all being relative obviously).

There is alot of promise in the StO relay. Very stong up the middle. They need something more than 52 in the front though or they are going to be out before the race starts. 51 should keep them around enough for Westby to go run people down in the fly and see if they can hold on.

I find the KC relay really interesting. Duda leading off last year to give them a 49 BK leg was the difference in a race that was closer than the 1 sec difference might say. Without that lead this year, they need their BRers to come up huge. They didnt have a great meet by their standards last year, and to win this relay, they will need either Zarins or Gosselar to be the difference and throw up a 54.9. Alot of the BRers graduated last year so will have an advantage there. Also, Harris was good with a 49 fly split last year, but I’m expecting a lot more this year. He could well be in the 48 low range and that could put things away.

DonCheadle

Interesting P, yoyu also have an anti-Olaf bias? Olaf could be:
      51.5 (Meyer already been a 52.4)
      3:19.5

Not that I would bet for that. But I certainly expect them to be under 3:22

What could be really interesting is their 200 medlely. They have got to be the favorite.

99 Red

I’m really not sure if Kenyon has the backstroke to compete (and DU needs to find a good BR leg), but looking at their results from last week, I’m might see a ray of hope. Dewey Foley against Ohio State did a 1:57 in the 200 BK. I don’t think he has been below 55.4 in the hundred, and 25.5 in the 50, but neither has Irgens, who they has been getting the meet started for them on their A relays. Still, I’m voting Hopkins.

This could be a really fun race to watch. Lots of lead changes. JHU and Denison up front early, KC and StO catching in the BR and maybe passing in the fly, then Denison and JHU trying to close the gap in the free leg. Should be fun.

silentp

@JHUBreaststroke06 wrote:

This could be a really fun race to watch. Lots of lead changes. JHU and Denison up front early, KC and StO catching in the BR and maybe passing in the fly, then Denison and JHU trying to close the gap in the free leg. Should be fun.

If Kzoo makes the final heat, you could see them in the lead through the breastroke out in lane 1 or 8… then as much as i love Dekker and Hennigar, the dream would be over, but it could be fun while it lasts, if it happens!

If you’re up for it Cheadle, I’ll take your bet on the over/under of 3:22…

maverick1

silentp hates olaf…..just check the miac forum

i also agree that this relay will be interesting because none of the relays are extremely strong throughout. I could see the olaf relay going 3:21, which would be close to winning the event. This will be damn close, but i think that JHU is going to pull it off. Well actually i want JHU to, but between Olaf, Kenyon and JHU it’ll be close as hell.

silentp

@maverick wrote:

silentp hates olaf…..just check the miac forum

i also agree that this relay will be interesting because none of the relays are extremely strong throughout. I could see the olaf relay going 3:21, which would be close to winning the event. This will be damn close, but i think that JHU is going to pull it off. Well actually i want JHU to, but between Olaf, Kenyon and JHU it’ll be close as hell.

I do not hate Olaf, they are a very good team, I just do not see a team dropping well over 2 seconds without adding anyone to that relay, other than a better swimming Kukla. They have no freshmen who will impact this relay. Kukla was 51.89 last year, so my 52.0 was a bit off (but not much), and i still don’t see the drops.

swim5599

While I think Olaf could win this event, I feel like Kenyon has had a strangle hold on this event for years. Harris split 48.8 in the morning, so with another great training year he could be 48.0, and I think ZARINS will have a huge year, and that might be enough. Having Westby on Olaf’s relay is a huge advantage, because he could be even faster than Harris. I still think with the two monster legs Kenyon wins.

middie07

SilentP hate Olaf? I am shocked someone would suggest something so abominable. A moderator with close ties to a current Gustie swimmer would certainly not want to see Olaf lose at Nationals. I’m sure that SilentP is rooting for Olaf just as hard as anyone else affiliated with D3 swimming. No one should expect any of the four returning relay members (Kukla, Westby-who is alreay faster this year, Wareham or Koch) to drop any time. Utterly ludicrous. Thank you for your light of reason, SilentP.

silentp

@middie07 wrote:

SilentP hate Olaf? I am shocked someone would suggest something so abominable. A moderator with close ties to a current Gustie swimmer would certainly not want to see Olaf lose at Nationals. I’m sure that SilentP is rooting for Olaf just as hard as anyone else affiliated with D3 swimming. No one should expect any of the four returning relay members (Kukla, Westby-who is alreay faster this year, Wareham or Koch) to drop any time. Utterly ludicrous. Thank you for your light of reason, SilentP.

Isn’t Westby going abroad this month though? Don’t you feel that may affect his training? Also, while they may be swimming faster, this doesn’t mean they will be faster at the end, that happens all of the time. If you add up the correct times (using Ellis’ 100 back time from the indy where there wasn’t a false start), Kzoo was a 3:26, just like Olaf at midseason… does that mean they should be considered as much of a contender as Olaf? Both were fully rested and tapered at midseason. I would definetly think not, so then perhaps what people have done so far doesn’t mean as much as you might allude to believing.

swim5599

In the longer Medley Kalamazoo does not have enough. A 50.8 fly split will not do it. I think either Kenyon, or Johns Hopkins wins this. With Denison a close 3rd. That is with Peterson splitting 58 plus in the breaststroke

DonCheadle

I don’t think that P was arguing that Kzoo has a shot at the long medley, but rather he was saying that, by virtue of being on level with Kzoo, St Olaf does not have a shot at the long medley either.

swim5599

No I agree with you completely, I was only saying the reason K does not have a chance to win the long medley is because of the back half of their relay. Olaf probably has a better chance, because they are not that week in any of the strokes on that relay

Just to let y’all know, unless he’s commuting Mr. Westby is not abroad.

swim5599

Ok then it is safe to say that he will be 1:50 55 plus and 48 plus this year.

Aflac

Safe to say? I wuoldn’t put anything past Westby but I’m not sure I would say that is safe to say.

swim5599

Well he just went 1:51.0 in the IM. He has been 56.5 and 49.6 so I would say he could go that fast

sbswim

As a dark horse I think MIT could suprise and contend especially in the 200 medley and possibly the 400 medley, edwards is back swimming backstroke along with three fast freshman

For 200 Medley splits of possibly

for a 1:32.00

How fast have the freshmen been?

sbswim

200 Medley has been 23.3 Fly, 26.0 breast, and 21.1 free at some point throughout the year

@sbswim wrote:

As a dark horse I think MIT could suprise and contend especially in the 200 medley and possibly the 400 medley, edwards is back swimming backstroke along with three fast freshman

For 200 Medley splits of possibly

for a 1:32.00

I dont know if there was a mistake, but at their invite meet, they had upper classmen on the winning relay and they went 131.56.

sbswim

that time is from two years ago everyone has graduated except edwards, and these times are all completely unrested times this year

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.