2008 NCAA SITE

Forums General National Championships 2008 NCAA SITE

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 51 reply threads
  • Author
      2000swimmer

Anyone know of the sites being considered for D-III next year?
      I have heard:

U of MN-Host St Olaf
      U of Miami-Ohio-Host Wooster
      Palo Alto Pool-San Antonio-Host Austin College

Any others?

JHU84

While I would love for DIII to be in my hometown. This facility while fast has very limited spectator seating and is in the nothing else near it side of town including hotels and resturaunts. SA is great city to come to for meet but this facility is just out on the deserted part of town

Swim6121

I heard two other places!

Erie Community College in Buffalo, NY
      St. Mary’s College, St. Mary’s, MD

As nice a pool as SMCM is (50m x 25y), and as nice a campus (right on the Chesapeake Bay), SMCM cannot host NCAA’s. No diving boards (as far as I know) and a lack of nearby hotels. It’s a pretty remote campus, and I think some meet spectators might have to get hotel rooms in the Washington, DC suburbs.

Maryland might be a great place to hold this meet, but a college or conference has to want to host it.

Swim6121

@Swim6121 wrote:

St. Mary’s College, St. Mary’s, MD

Actually, I miss-spoke! I was thinking of St. Mary’s College… But the other school I heard was actually:

University of Maryland was the second place I heard.

Nescacfan

Maryland would be a good choice for the East Coast. Baltimore [BWI]has lots of cheap fares with Southwest and AirTran as major carriers. The NCAA worries about expenses a lot. I checked on the fare 10 days from now for a roundtrip from LAX to BWI on Southwest. It’s less than $500. Houston to BWI was about $350. I bet the NCAA gets a 20% discount.

SlugSwimmer

i hear that U of Texas in Austin might hold it

Anonymous

There’s a huge difference in the cost of the airfares that you find online and those that the NCAA books for a team. The cost of the tickets that the NCAA books are often twice that of a ticket that can be bought independently. Due to NCAA rules, however, each institution is obligated to book their flights through the NCAA travel rep. IMO, it’s a big racket and someone is getting their pockets filled. Using online ticket prices isn’t the best way to assess the practicality of a particular site.

The real issue confronting each site/each year has more to do with the number/percentage of schools that have to fly vs. use ground transportation. Going to Baltimore (or any east coast or midwest venue) makes more economic sense because a greater percentage of schools would travel via ground transportation. This dynamic is why it’s unlikely that we’ll see a west coast venue anytime soon … too many teams would have to fly.

But with that said, maybe things are starting to change … I’m still surprised that 2007 was held in Houston. That may turn out to the be the most expensive NCAA championship ever held.

CupoJava

Ohio, Minnesota or Emory would be the best places to have nationals. There, I said it. Ohio because most of the good teams are either there or near there (places like Michigan). Minnesota will be coming up huge if St. Olaf lands Goro or Shang Tsung as recruits (and the UofM is an awesome pool), and Emory is a nice pool (and nice city) to have the meet at.

Or, we could stop speculating and just wait and see where the NCAA decides to have it.

TheDon

Way back when Kenyon won their first national title, the meet was held at Washington & Jefferson College about 30 miles south of Pittsburgh. That was the first time our team ever flew having driven the three previous years (SUNY-Geneseo, Grinnell, Oberlin). I don’t know if this is the case now but back then on the third day all the California teams would always gather for a big C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A cheer prior to finals. In those days there was Occidental College, Claremont Harvey Mudd, Pomona-Pitzer, Whittier and maybe Cal Tech. The cheer always rather annoyed the rest of us. Maybe it was the tanned bodies, the blond-surfer look, or the striking female masseuses (also blond and tan) that they always brought with them (though nobody complained about that). But that year as they concluded their joint cheer, the rest of the teams in the facility immediately responded with a much greater decibel level effort of HOST-THE-MEET, HOST-THE-MEET, HOST-THE-MEET……………I guess it still has yet to happen.

A side note on that meet. W&J is not that far from West Virginia. The significance of that? At the time most other states had recently raised their drinking age to 21 including Pennsylvania. In West Virginia, on the other hand, it was still 18. Which meant the underclassman who didn’t make finals that last night could drive down and buy the beer for the after meet parties (as long as they didn’t get caught bringing it across the border)! Of course those were other teams doing that, not ours. 😉

JHU84
      TheDon wrote:
      Way back when Kenyon won their first national title, the meet was held at Washington & Jefferson College about 30 miles south of Pittsburgh. That was the first time our team ever flew having driven the three previous years (SUNY-Geneseo, Grinnell, Oberlin). I don’t know if this is the case now but back then on the third day all the California teams would always gather for a big C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A cheer prior to finals. In those days there was Occidental College, Claremont Harvey Mudd, Pomona-Pitzer, Whittier and maybe Cal Tech. The cheer always rather annoyed the rest of us. Maybe it was the tanned bodies, the blond-surfer look, or the striking female masseuses (also blond and tan) that they always brought with them (though nobody complained about that). But that year as they concluded their joint cheer, the rest of the teams in the facility immediately responded with a much greater decibel level effort of HOST-THE-MEET, HOST-THE-MEET, HOST-THE-MEET……………I guess it still has yet to happen.

quote]

And remember when it was at W&L in that pool and does anyone remember the cow tipping expedition (I hope PETA doesn’t read this!)

sluggo

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE MEET HELD AT IU PUI IN INDIANAPOLIS. GREAT FACILITY, LOTS OF HOTELS, RESTAURANTS, ETC AND ITS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COUNTY. ANY THOUGHTS?

The Treat

@sluggo wrote:

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE MEET HELD AT IU PUI IN INDIANAPOLIS. GREAT FACILITY, LOTS OF HOTELS, RESTAURANTS, ETC AND ITS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COUNTY. ANY THOUGHTS?

i agree. IUPUI was a fantastic facility. tons of room and had a similar setup to U of Minnesota (which I loved). as you said, lots of hotels and restaurants so it seems like an ideal choice. are there any d3 schools near that could host it? depauw? rose hulman?

Psimon3

The only problem with IUPUI is that Indiana Swimming has a provision that the State Age Group Championships are to be held at IUPUI during the short course season and they have a multi-year contract with the Nat. That meet usually run at the same time as one of the two national meets. With the joint meet, they may be able to work around it like the D2 meet was a few years ago but you have to find a willing host to pay the fees (which are REALLY high compared to most pools). U of Indianapolis took a substantial loss to host the meet a few years back.

How about Purdue? Basically the same pool as IUPUI (“dotted i 50m”) with lots of seating, very central location in the nation, host of the Big 10 meet, USA meets, etc. I know I had talked to a few Indiana coaches about hosting it there. The only problem is the proximity to a major airport, since I don’t know how long a drive it is to either Indy or Chicago.

Certainly in terms of its geographical centrality, it makes lots of sense. Ohio, Illinois, WI, IN, MO, MI, and perhaps MN teams can all drive there. That’s probably over 50% of all the participants in the meet.

But, again, it’s about hosting the meet: which coach wants to put up with the headache, will Purdue be able to rent out the facility two weeks in a row, will the NCAA like it, etc etc etc.

Nescacfan

Anyone with any news on next year’s D-IIII championship site?

chrismyhre

I just recently heard UT at Austin, and this was mentioned awhile back by the Santa Cruz Slug. Not sure that it has been made official. What does Kim say Slug?

Nescacfan

Back-to-back championships in Texas? I think the NCAA will try to select a site closer to more D-III swim programs.

chrismyhre

Oh I agree with you, we know that the NCAA makes almost all their decisions based on the mighty dollar. Makes no sense to be back in TX, and yet, that is what I have heard from a committee person. Could it be that the bid was just too sweet $$$-wise for the NCAA to pass up? Time will tell where the meet will be, but we may never know the why. How many teams/swimmers do not like the idea of being in TX again?

JHU84

How could you not want to go to austin – plenty of hotels, right in downtown, 6th street for after the meet for those of age of course and it is not too cold. Only bad thing is no pool records will be broken.

Nescacfan

Flying south in March from NESCAC country to Texas is a plus for those of living in New England. I hope the rumor is correct.

DonCheadle

@Nescacfan wrote:

Back-to-back championships in Texas? I think the NCAA will try to select a site closer to more D-III swim programs.

Keep in mind West Coast schools are 2,300 miles from Ohio and 3,000 miles from Atlanta. It actually makes a lot of sense to have the meet in Texas, everyone travels about the same amount. In terms of expenses, what is expensive is traveling to small cities without a lot of airline and hotel competition.

The pool is one of the top 5-10 in the country, and the specator seating is the best. There are probably 1,000 seats that are situated adjacent to the pool. Noone would have to view the meet from behind the starting block.

Everyone should be pulling for this.

PanDeMonium

It also makes sense to have a meet in Minneapolis at the U of M for the same reasons. On top of that, I think things might be a tad bit cheaper compared to Houston or Austin, though I could be entirely wrong.

JHU84

@PanDeMonium wrote:

It also makes sense to have a meet in Minneapolis at the U of M for the same reasons. On top of that, I think things might be a tad bit cheaper compared to Houston or Austin, though I could be entirely wrong.

true and only a few degrees of separtion between the two (like 40 that time of year?)

N Dynamite

As far as expenses go, is there anywhere that won’t cost an arm and a leg to fly home from on Easter Sunday? Also, other than wanting to go to somewhere like Federal Way or IUPUI because of the facilities (which we’ll never get), is there any place better? I don’t care if it’s in TX every year if we can get places like UT. I prefer there over UM simply for the weather, but I’ll take either of those places any day.

chrismyhre

I have been approached countless times over the last 7-8 years regarding our hosting NCAA’s in Federal Way. My boss says it won’t happen until they make it a combined men’s and women’s meet. I believe this is on the horizon and big brother is leaning that direction. I also am under the impression that the people at WKCAC would be interested in being the site for our championships, and that the NCAA would seriously consider the meet being hosted in the pacific northwest. The earliest we will submit a bid would be 2009, more likely though, 2010. It will happen!

2000swimmer

WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY GOING TO BE? I think there has been enough time to figure out the bids by now!!!! Whats the hold up?

Nescacfan

Everyone I talk to is betting on Miami University in Ohio.

99 Red

I’ve heard some informed speculation saying that it is down to Austin and Miami of Ohio.

DonCheadle

I just emailed the one guy who might know if it is going to be at UT. I’ll keep you posted

Hosting it at Austin would be incredible. Clearly, it would be the best pool that D-III’s would have ever been hosted in. In championship configuration, the bulkheads (lowered from the ceiling) would be positioned so that the swimming course is between each 7 foot-wide bulkhead. The bulkheads are extremely solid, better than any others out there, and I don’t recall there being any optical illusion swimming into the bulkheads that make turns confusing, like at other pools with bulkheads over deeper water (St Peter’s, MO; Long Island; Seattle). The warm-down sections are on the outside of the bulkheads, or in the diving well, which is next to the main course, not at the end of it. The diving well is actually elevated several feet above the main pool level. The gutters at Austin are at deck-level, so the airflow is unsurpassed (it can get trapped in places like Indy that have recessed gutters). The deck-level gutters make the water look like it is rising up to support swimmers, rather than being in a recessed tank as in other pools. The gutters have a large overhang at each end of the 50m course, but the sides stay deck-level. The deck stays surprisingly dry within only a few feet of the edge of the pool. Seating is all on one side of the main course, with over 2000 seats.

I personally think that Austin’s is the best permanent pool in the US, and since being completed in 1979 (?) no pool has been better. Indy is touted as the American “super pool,” but I think Austin has it beat for both SCY and LCM. IMO. My favorite American pool of all time.

website: http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=2&url_article_id=129

The question: who is hosting the meet? A college? The NCAA? Southwestern (Steve, feel free to pipe in on this one)? How about the NCAA paying for all those flights into Austin on Southwest? Austin is 2+ hours from Houston, 2+ hours from Dallas, and up the road from San Antonio.

BTW: I’m going out on a limb here, but NO pool records will be broken at Austin.

DonCheadle

Hi, Aaron,

I just talked to my buddy at the Texas Swim Center. He says that it’s
      “No” on Div 3 next year–at least, it’s not on the schedule. (We are
      doing Masters Nationals next year.)

Nescacfan

@DonCheadle wrote:

Hi, Aaron,

I just talked to my buddy at the Texas Swim Center. He says that it’s
      “No” on Div 3 next year–at least, it’s not on the schedule. (We are
      doing Masters Nationals next year.)

This news seems to indicate that Miami of Ohio is the choice.

sluggo

There is a lack of hotel rooms close to the Miami of Ohio campus.

Mickey Mouse

There is a lack of hotel rooms close to the Miami of Ohio campus.

It never stopped them from hosting it in the past.

silentp

@PioneerSwimming wrote:

Hosting it at Austin would be incredible. Clearly, it would be the best pool that D-III’s would have ever been hosted in. In championship configuration, the bulkheads (lowered from the ceiling) would be positioned so that the swimming course is between each 7 foot-wide bulkhead. The bulkheads are extremely solid, better than any others out there, and I don’t recall there being any optical illusion swimming into the bulkheads that make turns confusing, like at other pools with bulkheads over deeper water (St Peter’s, MO; Long Island; Seattle). The warm-down sections are on the outside of the bulkheads, or in the diving well, which is next to the main course, not at the end of it. The diving well is actually elevated several feet above the main pool level. The gutters at Austin are at deck-level, so the airflow is unsurpassed (it can get trapped in places like Indy that have recessed gutters). The deck-level gutters make the water look like it is rising up to support swimmers, rather than being in a recessed tank as in other pools. The gutters have a large overhang at each end of the 50m course, but the sides stay deck-level. The deck stays surprisingly dry within only a few feet of the edge of the pool. Seating is all on one side of the main course, with over 2000 seats.

I personally think that Austin’s is the best permanent pool in the US, and since being completed in 1979 (?) no pool has been better. Indy is touted as the American “super pool,” but I think Austin has it beat for both SCY and LCM. IMO. My favorite American pool of all time.

website: http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=2&url_article_id=129

The question: who is hosting the meet? A college? The NCAA? Southwestern (Steve, feel free to pipe in on this one)? How about the NCAA paying for all those flights into Austin on Southwest? Austin is 2+ hours from Houston, 2+ hours from Dallas, and up the road from San Antonio.

BTW: I’m going out on a limb here, but NO pool records will be broken at Austin.

I have swam in both Minnesota and Austin several times and don’t know if we can say that Austin is clearly faster. Since you mentioned the pool records… i think Austin’s would look pretty sad compared to those at Minnesota. Also, the seating at Austin is not as spectator friendly as Minnesota, unless you bring binoculars. I would say as far as just pools go, they are a crapshoot for speed.

DonCheadle

I don’t want to get in a pissing match about something silly, but the UT swim center pool records are all top 10 swims of all time. Not to mention the WR’s that have been set in the Meters setup. Minnesota currently has beeter pool records by the simple fact that they have held d1’s more recently. So I agree wtih Silent-P, both pools are really fast.

Having never been to Minnesota I cannot speak to the spectator seating, but I will say that I disagree that you need binoculars are UT. I think the seating is great. I am curious, is there any other Natatorium that actually has chairs, not benches, to sit in?

TheDon

Georgia Tech (96 Olympic site) and IUPUI has chairs.

I’m not sure I said that Austin was faster than Minnesota, just that I think overall it is a better facility (adding in the seating, ambience, design, the wall with the names of the 1988 Olympians from the Trials that year, and the fact that UT has won several NCAA titles). UT’s design is really, what’s the word for it, avante garde? Every other pool in the US is a “dotted i” with the diving and swimming pools along the same axis. UT’s design is unique and memorable. It’s a pool that is almost 30 years old and is still fantastic.

UT’s pool records are certainly not sad at all compared to Minnesota’s. Simon Burnett went 1:31 in the 200 free there, and Hansen and Crocker both set SCY records there that still stand. Didn’t Janet Evans swim her AR 1650 there? Certainly, Minnesota has that freakish 18.7 of Bousquet, but UT’s had some great swims.

silentp

@PioneerSwimming wrote:

I’m not sure I said that Austin was faster than Minnesota, just that I think overall it is a better facility (adding in the seating, ambience, design, the wall with the names of the 1988 Olympians from the Trials that year, and the fact that UT has won several NCAA titles). UT’s design is really, what’s the word for it, avante garde? Every other pool in the US is a “dotted i” with the diving and swimming pools along the same axis. UT’s design is unique and memorable. It’s a pool that is almost 30 years old and is still fantastic.

UT’s pool records are certainly not sad at all compared to Minnesota’s. Simon Burnett went 1:31 in the 200 free there, and Hansen and Crocker both set SCY records there that still stand. Didn’t Janet Evans swim her AR 1650 there? Certainly, Minnesota has that freakish 18.7 of Bousquet, but UT’s had some great swims.

Sorry, I took “best pool ever” as faster.

Also, the Bousquet record is no longer their pool record.

One thing that now sucks about the Minnesota pool is that they do not have the pool records up because Coach Dennis Dale felt it was just advertising for other schools when recruits saw it.

Having swum at both pools, and IUPUI during my time- I woul dhave to say that I liked Minn. better. There is just an atmosphere in the place that Texas doesnt have. There is probably no difference really, but for me Minn just felt so fast.

This brought an interesting idea to my mind- How about ranking your Top 5 pools where you have swum. I’ll start:

1.) IUPUI- nothing like seeing those names up on that wall. just gives you that feeling.
      2.)U of Minn
      3.) Cleveland State- I know its old, but I have good memories from this pool and it is very deep and very fast short course. They swam D1 NCAAs there in the 70s so there are pool records by Pablo Morales and such.
      4.) Texas
      5.) U of Maryland or Long Beach

Deep Water

What makes the atmosphere better at Minnesota is that seating is on both sides. Having fans cheering for both sides is way better.

Psimon3

1) IUPUI – The History and the legacy makes it an incredible place to swim.
      2) Minnesota – a “mini” IUPUI
      3) Ohio State – Never swam there, but my athletes tell me its just like Minnesota with the spectator seating and the energy
      4) Palo Alto College – Deep water the whole way (12 ft.) and the seating starts at the deck and gos up about 20 rows.. very loud, very cool
      5) C.T. Branin (Canton, Ohio) – Any pool that’s good enough for Joe Hudepohl to set 3 national records (and kick my butt at the same) is good enough for me… Plus the D2 nationals and the Ohio H.S. meet were ungodly loud.

I’m sure Texas and Maryland are great facilities but never have ben in them so I can’t make a call on them…

1) Emory, my college pool. I swam all my PR’s there, and had 2 NCAA championships, 1 UAA Championship and 2 December shave meets there. Home dual meets were always great.

2) Texas (see previous comments). I swam a master’s meet there in 1998 and had some great races. Seeing the names on the record boards is amazing.

3) Stanford. One world-class 50m pool, a spare 10-lane 50m pool, a swim stadium (can you IMAGINE the Cal-Stanford dual meets there?!?), diving well, 75 degrees and sunny with no humidity in August during last year’s FINA Master’s World Championships. The only drawback I can see is training there in January.

4) IUPUI. American swimming’s emotional home. The architectural model for every pool built since (Seattle, Minnesota, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Auburn, Georgia, Purdue, etc).

5) Texas A&M. I went to grad school there, swam master’s 4x/week in the pools (either indoors SCY, indoors LCM, in the diving well SCM, or outdoors in the spare 25 yard pool cooled to 77 degrees even on 98 degree days). I saw Big XII’s there twice, timed Neil Walker swim a 200 back in 1:42 unshaved, and timed Julia Russell of Nebraska (1996 Olympian) go 59+ in the 100 breast.

HM: UCSD (old pool), Flickinger, Coral Springs, Mission Viejo, Mission Bay (no longer standing), Yale (6 lanes, imagining Don Schollander swimming there and thinking about the H-Y-P meet there, shear pandemonium).

Just to comment on a few of the mentioned pools

I’ve never been a fan of CT Branin. Its held there because of seating space and it does get loud for the State meet, but it just isnt an elite pool. Blocks are weird, its not all that deep and the gutters aren’t all that good. I feel like its about the 5th-6th fastest pool in Ohio behind OSU, Cleve State, Miami, Kenyon, BGSU and OU.

Emory has those metal strips in the wall that are annoying and if you get stuck in lane 1 you have depth problems. I actually hit the bottom during finals of NCAAs there on a start. I wasnt happy.

Stanfords short course pool is really cool for dual meets. A very fun place to swim.

Havent swum at OSU yet, but its supposed to be great and I also have heard people say they like A&M as much as anywhere in the country.

Emory’s set-up has changed a bit in the last 10 years or so, to take advantage of the number of SCY lanes available. Up through the mid-late 90’s, the pool was set up so that the last lane with blocks and timing plugs was lane 8, so the lane 1 was actually about 6 feet deep. We’d ocassionally have a double-dual meet, and add a lane (which meant moving the old blocks around and re-assigning the lanes in the timing system display) to make it 9 lanes, and lane 1 would be slightly shallower.

I don’t know when the move was made to make Emory’s set-up a permanent 10 lane pool. Those new Kiefer blocks are permanently installed, and the numbers on each cannot be moved. If an 8-lane meet is being held, usually the lanes are assigned 2-9, (with 1 and 10 being buffers) and 2 is actually probably too shallow for champioship meets. We noticed this in the 2006 UAA championship, when lanes 6-9, and especially lane 8-9 had great races, while lanes 2-3 had sub-par swims. I seem to remember that Erickson from Case was the top seed in the final of the 50 out of lane 5. He later time-trialed in lane 8 with several other swimmers and he made the A cut easily. I tried to have my relays that year qualify 6th or 8th for the finals so they could get lane 8 or 9. After talking with Dave Belowich during the first evening, we made a motion for the entire meet to be shifted one lane deeper, so in the end, the meet was run in lanes 3-10 for the finals (though still in 1-10 for prelims, with lanes 1 and 2 being in about 4.75 to 5 feet depth).

I like to believe that a deep pool is fast: everyone says a minimum of 2meters (6.5 feet) is ideal. I think anything over about 9 feet is too deep, because the lines and T’s at the bottom are too far away. I’d say anything in the 6.5 to 9 feet depth is all about the same: there’s no advantage to even deeper water.

However: depth isn’t everything! Let’s not forget that Mike Barrowman and Natalie Couglin (and others) set LCM records at the Ft Lauderdale HOF pool. The starting end and turning end are only about 4 to 4.5 feet deep. In races where underwater swimming is of huge importance (underwater dolphin kicks, deep dives and BR pullouts), Barrowman and Coughlin still set records in a shallow pool (and Coughlin’s is still on the books). No one should fall into the trap of thinking that pool depth precludes good swimming.

silentp

1. IUPUI
      2. Minnesota
      3. Stanford
      4. Texas
      5. U of North Dakota (only because of ND HS State meets and my memories, it’s not that great really, esp for 50 meters)

MentalEdge

Looks like this would be a sweet pool to swim in : National Aquatics Center

Greenbacks

It looks as though the meet will in fact be held at Oxford next year.

http://www.collegeswimming.com/news/2007/jul/17/division-iii-site-finally-named/

It’s finally official:

http://www.ncaasports.com/swimming/womens/schedules/diviii

and http://www.ncaasports.com/swimming/mens/schedules/diviii

(Miami University [Oxford, OH], hosted by College of Wooster)

trout3

OK… Who’s hoarding all the room reservations in Oxford?

facenorth

I called back in mid July and struggled to even find a few rooms in the same hotel.

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.