2008 Championships

Forums General National Championships 2008 Championships

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      N Dynamite

With the 2007 Championships about to start for the men, I tried to look ahead to see what the dates and site would be for next year. Still no site listed, but it seems that the women are March 13-15 next year. Every time I click on men at http://www.ncaasports.com it shows the women’s dates. If we’re still having separate meets next year then the men would be March 20-22. Easter is March 23rd next year. When was the last time NCAAs were this close to Easter? Will the NCAA change the date by a week to minimize travel costs (traveling that week will be more expensive) and to avoid the holiday, or will they leave it the same?

According to the Championships Handbook (page 8) the dates for the men’s meet is March 20-22.

“According to the Championships Handbook (page eight) the dates for the men’s meet is March 20-22.”

The NESCAC Men’s Championship, scheduled for Feb 29 – Mar 2, 2008 at Middlebury, is by conference rules always three weeks before NCAAs — so the NCAA date is correct.

I don’t know if it’s ever been changed, but because they’re technically finished swimming before Easter Sunday it may not be an issue (even though the meet takes place during the three preceding days, including Good Friday).

The NCAA really doesnt care too much about religous holidays, but what they will care about is money. It will be interesting to see what happens when they and teams realize flights bump up 20% in cost that weekend. Could hurt some budgets.

N Dynamite

@littlethreefan wrote:

I don’t know if it’s ever been changed, but because they’re technically finished swimming before Easter Sunday it may not be an issue (even though the meet takes place during the three preceding days, including Good Friday).

I hadn’t even thought of Good Friday – isn’t that against Wheaton rules? Seriously? I thought Coach Lederhouse once told me that they couldn’t compete on a religious holiday. Maybe I’m wrong. I’d hate to see them miss the second day of NCAAs because of that.

Low Tide

I know a good amount of schools would not compete if the meet ever went into Sunday, but I think Good Friday should be ok (no ‘day of rest’ about it)… as long as they found time for services and watched what they ate.

Still, it seems like a horrible weekend for a meet, for a number of reasons.

Chris Knight

I’m sure the NCAA sees itself as more powerful than the church these days, they’ll probably get Easter pushed back.

CaseBrst10

Might there also be a conflict for GCC?

neswim

I heard talk that the meet will be in New York. Don’t know if that means NY metropolitan area or a return to Buffalo.

oldswimnfool

I thought they were susposed to make the announcement at the Coaches Meeting prior to the start of the Women’s Meet.

@CaseBrst10 wrote:

Might there also be a conflict for GCC?

I suspect only to the extent that they’ll have to miss part or most of their break to make the trip to [insert name of city here].

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.