200 Free

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #12107
      silentp
      Member

      With the success of the 100 free thread, i thought this one could be even more interesting. This race is really wide open in my eyes, with some obvious front runners, some of whom we aren’t sure if they’ll even swim it.

    • #32267
      stewie
      Member

      In my mind, just as the poll indicates, this is a two way race between CVB and Tuuk. Tuuk’s 1:42 anchor on Cal’s 800 fr and CVB’s 1:42 lead off at nats are the fastest coming back and I expect both to be at 1:41’s at MIAA’s.

      I do not think Bacon will swim it and Yury is an interesting choice b/c the 200 is on his best day (400 IM). Maybe with Heyboer joining the league Yury/Stubbs/Olivet…whoever, may think he has a better shot at winning the 2 fr.

      I think Rose maybe a darkhouse here…this weekend will say alot.

    • #32268
      Sea Dog
      Member

      You forgot to include Heyboer.

    • #32269
      silentp
      Member

      @Sea Dog wrote:

      You forgot to include Heyboer.

      No i didn’t.

    • #32270
      Ricky Bobby
      Member

      I don’t think many people expect to see Heyboer in the event at the league meet. Not when he can choose between the 400 IM and 100 back on the same day.

      Some suspect Yury might not be in the event either because he is the defending champ in the 400 IM.

      If Bacon wants to do everything he can to make Nationals, he should be in the 100 fly and lead off their 800 Free Relay to give him a shot at another event. He could always time trial though.

    • #32271
      DonCheadle
      Member

      Yury swims and wins this. Come on, 1:45.9 already. He can’t beat Heyboer in the 400IM, his coach has to know this.

    • #32272
      Insight
      Member

      Cheadle makes a great point…unless someone else shows something big, I have to believe that Mr. Bylina has an edgealready because of his 1:45 already. After Heyboer went a 4:13, Bylina had ot be thinking 200. What is the fastest time besides Bylina and Heyboer?

      Does anyone haev MIAA Top times up to now? I suppose it would be better after this week.

    • #32273
      silentp
      Member

      @Insight wrote:

      Does anyone haev MIAA Top times up to now? I suppose it would be better after this week.

      Yury could swim the 400 IM if the team is going for points, because I don’t believe they have another top 400 IMer and they do have other capable 200 freestylers (remember, they do have a shot, albeit an outside one in the 800 FR).

      MIAA 200 Free before Mid-Season drops:
      1 Bylina O 1:45.91
      2 Heyboer H 1:47.22
      3 Toll Cal 1:47.96
      4 Tuuk Cal 1:48.20
      5 Busscher O 1:48.63
      6 b. Jaffee O 1:48.93
      7 Rose H 1:48.93
      8 Vanderbro H 1:49.84
      9 Bacon Alb 1:50.07
      10 Aguiree O 1:50.1
      11 O’Brien H 1:50.40
      12 Ellis K 1:50.64
      13 Stone O 1:50.66
      14 Vogelzang H 1:50.87
      15 Wheatley O 1:51.01
      16 Takahashi O 1:51.35
      17 Dekker K 1:51.99
      18 Herrman H 1:52.43
      19 Dtruk K 1:52.43
      20 Glas H 1:53.47
      21 Contreras K 1:52.88

    • #32274

      While SilentP makes a good point. One could argue that both Brian Jaffe and Nate Busscher would BOTH score higher in the 400 IM than the 200 Free AND Yury would not have a better chance at winning an event.

      With the potential for guys like Bacon, Krone, CVB, Tuuk, Toll, Gardner, Vogelzang (split 1:44 at Nats), Gardner and more all to be in the event, those guys might even be better off in the weaker 400 IM.

    • #32275

      @DonCheadle wrote:

      Yury swims and wins this. Come on, 1:45.9 already. He can’t beat Heyboer in the 400IM, his coach has to know this.

      CVB is a 1:42 mid and going to get faster. What on earth makes you think that Yury can beat him tapered? 1:45.9 in season means nothing to me. People are all over the place in that event.

    • #32276
      quacker
      Member

      My mom told me Gardner quit the team.

      Which makes a pretty long list of people who were on the team last year and could have swam on this years team, but for various reasons are not back on the team. 7 people (actually, 5 and 2/3 technically) are gone from last year’s league team that potentially could have returned, plus 2 more young and promising exhibition swimmers. Not to mention that one freshman this year who already left to go live off the land.

      It’s a good thing Hope has been the deepest team in the MIAA for a while. They’ll bounce back. Richardson and Ray are very promising distance freshmen to replace Gardner, Delo, and Humberstone. O’Brien is also impressing this year, switching over to a lot more distance.

      But the main point is, count Gardner out of the 200 free Commodore.

    • #32277
      DonCheadle
      Member

      @Captain Insano wrote:

      CVB is a 1:42 mid and going to get faster. What on earth makes you think that Yury can beat him tapered? 1:45.9 in season means nothing to me. People are all over the place in that event.

      Your question, “what on earth makes you think that Yury can beat him tapered,” it invalid. You already know the answer, you provided it within your next sentence. Your argument is based on passion, not logic. If it were based on logic you would not use words like, “what on earth.”

      People are all over the place in the 200 free. I agree. But Yuri has been 1:45.9, 1:46.3 and something like a 1:17 in a 150 free. Very consistent.

    • #32278
      N Dynamite
      Member

      Consistent yes, but I don’t think this is the argument. It seems to me that people are all over the place during the season in relation to their taper time. How many people have you seen struggle to break 1:50 in season and then taper down to an NCAA cut while others can go 1:47 during the season and end up going 1:45 at the end? I agree – these times mean nothing, it only matters in February

    • #32279

      Exactly. And so what if I was passionate about my argument. If the passion is inspired by logic (the fact that CVB has the fastest time) then the argument is valid.

      Plus, this is a discussion board, not the analytical writing section of the GRE. You’re supposed to get fired up about stuff.

    • #32280
      Low Tide
      Member

      No Gardner? That sucks… it’s beginning to look like a lock for Olivet repeating this year.

      You have to think Yuri will be at least a 1:43 mid this year, so he will at least be able to give a race to CVB and Tuuk. Hope typically does have slower inseason times than the rest of the league. Hamstra seems to be an extreme case that sticks out in my mind — He always came out of nowhere.

      Anyways, my bet is whomever goes a 1:42 in the event at MIAAs wins it.

    • #32281
      DonCheadle
      Member

      Insano, getting fired up is one thing, saying “what on earth” and then mentioning the leagues leading time (by 2 seconds) in the next breath is silly. The guys tapered fairly well last year, and the guy has the best time in the league by a wide margin. 2+2 = 4

      CVB does have a great shot to win this, don’t get me wrong. I see him at 1:43 low and Yuri at 1:42 low.

    • #32282
      Gargamel
      Member

      Maybe this a comment that should wait until after this weekend.

      But I can see Cheadle’s logic. I mean why wouldn’t VanderBroek swim slower this year than he did last year when he’s already well ahead of where he was last year at this time in every event. That makes sense.

    • #32283

      Yury’s best inseason time last year: 1:46.62
      Yury’s time at MIAA’s last year: 1:45.74

      CVB’s best time previous to MIAAs last year: 1:44.97
      CVB’s best time at MIAA’s last year: 1:43.54

      Tuuk’s best time previous to MIAAs last year: 1:46.47
      Tuuk’s best time at MIAA’s last year: 1:43.57 (split 1:42.72)

      Both the best time before CVB and Tuuk came at their December meet. So if this year is anything like last year, when comparing these three, we’ll have a decent idea of who stands where on Sunday. Yury’s came from a dual meet, but he was only here half the year and who knows how much or what kind of training he had before arriving at Olivet last January. Anyone? Jaffnut? Anyone?

    • #32284
      Derek
      Member

      @Low Tide wrote:

      Hope typically does have slower inseason times than the rest of the league. Hamstra seems to be an extreme case that sticks out in my mind — He always came out of nowhere.

      Hamstra may stick out in your mind, but the entire Kalamazoo team from 2003-04 and 2004-05 sticks out in my mind since I was part of the devastatingly slow in season swims of that time period. I refrain from commenting on the 2005-06 and 2006-07 years to let people who swam during that (this) time speak for themselves. I was a B cut performer tapered but was 4:28 in season in the 400IM. I’m not even gonna talk about the 1000. I wasn’t the only one afflicted by the slow in season epidemic of that time period.

    • #32285
      facenorth
      Member

      Krone took his 500 out in 1:45.0. It’s time his name is brought up in this discussion.

    • #32286
      swim5599
      Member

      His 500 was something last night. 4:35 at this time of year is damn good

    • #32287
      silentp
      Member

      I think with CVB’s 1:43, he has to be the front runner. That was just a great swim for him. Calvin was dissappointing, so that bodes badly for Tuuk, but i am sure they’ll be there in february.

    • #32288
      DonCheadle
      Member

      I now think CVB is the front runner too. He’ll probably go a 1:41…

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.