1:32.26 or 3:22.6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      DonCheadle

If Kzoo is going to break oen of the open MIAA medley relay records, which is most likely:

200 Medley 1:32.26
      or
      400Medley 3:22.6

I vote for 200 Medley. This is doable:

22.6 (I see this going to Greiner, not Dekker)
      20.6 (This maybe too fast for Flemming this year but I’ll start with it)
      1:31.7

Rudy Shingle

considering that they are only .5 off the 200 medley and almost 2 seconds off of the 400 medley I think they will break the 200 medley. If fonzi can stay healthy i think he will be under 25 for the 50 breast, and if paul goes his fastest split he will be 23.5. So that is about .4 already all they need is a little more.

SwexasTim

The hard part about breaking fast records isn’t having the talent, its putting it all together. I know that there were relays that had the talent to break records before and couldn’t do it. I don’t think its a question if they can, its a question of will all 4 put it together at the same time.

silentp

@DonCheadle wrote:

Greiner was 22.7 in prelims last year, so I see him as quicker than 22.6 in finals of MIAAs this year.

DonCheadle

22.7? Really. THat is great

W3ndell

1 Kalamazoo College Swimming-MI ‘A’ 1:33.27 1:35.72
      1) Ellis, Paul FR 2) Kovacs, Dan SO
      3) Greiner, David FR 4) Parker, Eric SO
      23.91 51.00 (27.09) 1:13.81 (22.81) 1:35.72 (21.91)

soooo anyway thats 22.81 not 22.7, I know im being lame and just nit-picky but just trying to prove I do my research.

silentp

@W3ndell wrote:

1 Kalamazoo College Swimming-MI ‘A’ 1:33.27 1:35.72
      1) Ellis, Paul FR 2) Kovacs, Dan SO
      3) Greiner, David FR 4) Parker, Eric SO
      23.91 51.00 (27.09) 1:13.81 (22.81) 1:35.72 (21.91)

soooo anyway thats 22.81 not 22.7, I know im being lame and just nit-picky but just trying to prove I do my research.

Nice catch.

I may argue here the 400 could be more likely, just basing the first 3 splits on PRs only (no time drop):

They would need a 46.5 to tie the record, which of course would be a PR, but also isn’t a stretch I would say.

Both records are very possible this year.

Negrodamus

At the EMU meet last year when some of us were time trialling different events, Greiner swam a 22.9 in the fly flat start. So i would expect that this year he could go somewhere around a 22 low if not faster considering the gap between his flat start 50 free and relay 50 free. He is also swimming fly way faster than he was at this point last year.

Rudy Shingle

i also think ellis was 50.1 last year at nationals

DonCheadle

@Negrodamus wrote:

At the EMU meet last year when some of us were time trialling different events, Greiner swam a 22.9 in the fly flat start.

Really? If this is true then I expect him to be down in the 21s this year.

facenorth

Cheadle,

You have six fingers.

swim5599

Not to nit pick either but ellis was not 50.1 last year at nats. I would think the 200 medley is in range. They went 3:24.4 in the 4 medley and that is obviously a great time, but not sure we will see 3:22 this year.

maverick1

ellis was 50.34 at nats

Barack

@facenorth wrote:

Cheadle,

You have six fingers.

As long as we’re nit-picking…Cheadle has five fingers and one thumb.

W3ndell

GOD!!! I guess I shouldnt have picked any nits to begin with…

@DonCheadle wrote:

I think that fly spot is still going to Dekker. Greiner seems to be a pure sprinter in the freestyle events, so I would think he’ll be the freestyler on the 2 medley and 2 free relay. Fleming and Bazzell are more solid in the 100 and 200 freestyles, so it makes sense to keep them out of this relay and save them for the other 4. Also, if one of the freshmen freestylers happens to have a better meet than the other, he would be wanted as the anchor on BOTH medley relays (assuming Greiner is the flyer), which wouldn’t be possible without taking that person out of one of the free relays. Last year’s order of Ellis, Fons, Dekker, Greiner seems most logical…

Rudy Shingle

or you could look at as saving dekker for the other relays. where he has been pretty quick in the 100 and 200 free

I guess, but Dekker has never been in the 200 free relay and probably isn’t a likely candidate to be on it this year. So although sitting him on the 200 medley may give him a rest, putting Greiner on it and sitting Bobby wouldn’t really help to clear up room. I’d feel better about having the 2 frosh studs available for all 3 free relays

silentp

The reasoning is simple, by putting Greiner in the fly position, you are able to use both freshmen freestylers on the end of the respective relays, therefore giving K 6 swimmers at nationals, rather than 5. This would help the free relays at nationals to possibly score in one of those.

DonCheadle

@silentp wrote:

The reasoning is simple, by putting Greiner in the fly position, you are able to use both freshmen freestylers on the end of the respective relays, therefore giving K 6 swimmers at nationals, rather than 5. This would help the free relays at nationals to possibly score in one of those.

Beat me to it, but yes that is the reason. Unless you have a freestyler who is clearly better you go ahead and get 6 guys to the meet.

Of course the 200 Free Relay is going to make the meet on its own, so…

swim5599

I am not knocking Kalamazoo, but I just don’t see how they have enough to go the 1:23mid to high that it will take to get the 2 free relay in.

DonCheadle

Well, it was mostly a joke, but here is the 1:23 mid:

Ellis went 21.33 last year, what will he go this year? I certianly am not going to make a prediction on what this guy can do, but certainly faster than 21.3 is reasonable.

On multiple occasions Greiner split faster than 21.0 last year. Again I don’t want to put a limit on this guy just tell me what you think is reasonable and go with it.

Then 3 guys to fill out the last 2 spots:

Bazzell Freshmen went 21.10 last year
      Flemming Freshmen split a 21.7 last week
      Fonzi Spophmore flat start of 22.0 last year

Those three spots should be able to produce two 20.9’s.

So I don’t consider 1:23.5 a stretch, though the trick will be to get 4 guys swimming well at the same. And for that reason I anticipate that they will actyually be around 1:23.9. But unlike some other people I think it is best to aim high because if you don’t, well, then I suppose you end up spending your whole life in West Michigan.

swim5599

Ok I can see how you would think 1:23.9 would be possible, but that might not win, and it won’t get selected.

i think 1:22.6 is quite possible out of them…..here’s how

TIME TRIAL!!!!!

here’s how it would work

leadoff ellis: 21.0
      espinosa with a push, but still legal start: 20.6
      fleming with a push, but still legal start:20.7
      greiner with a push, most likely dq, but still legal in time trials start: 20.5

that is all, and please remember to not feed the bears

swim5599

That is 1:22.8 HAHA

maverick1

oh god here we go again

https://d3swimming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2667

is bengal going to come out and start posting on time trials now too

Duck

But unlike some other people I think it is best to aim high because if you don’t, well, then I suppose you end up spending your whole life in West Michigan.

That is an unfair and just plain untrue characterization, Cheadle. Many young athletes from Hope have aspired to great things, and several have even had their wildest dreams imaginable realized: Marrying K swimmers and having their children.

Never, ever, give up the dream Stevo.

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.