100 Free

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      silentp

I see the 100 as one of the many events to look most forward to come MIAAs. I think there are several swimmers who could win the event, and while i am sure this will be biased, i wanted to see who people thought would win the event and be the favorite going in. This opinion could obviously change after the mid season meets, but let’s see what people say. Some of these may not swim the event, which needs to be taken into consideration.

SixBags

We all know JBG comes strong at the end of the year. It’s hard for me to believe that John doesn’t have a vote after placing second last year.

Derek

SixBags, if you’re making that statement then shouldn’t you be voting for him, therefore giving him your 1 vote?

TheAnswer

Moderator Jansen wrote:

SixBags, if you’re making that statement then shouldn’t you be voting for him, therefore giving him your 1 vote?

I don’t like the guy – but he’s got a point.

silentp

I think this poll went exactly as i thought it would, so that’s pretty cool. What do people think the winning time will be? I tend to think a low 46 will win it, something like a 46.2 or better.

facenorth

Alright, I am almost embarrassed to ask this because I think of myself as a movie buff; but it’s driving me nuts and I have to. What movie is that quote from? “I don’t like the guy….but he’s got a point.”

DonCheadle

“I don’t like the guy…but he’s got a point.”

Hmm this is ringing a bell but i can’t quite place it. I seem to recall the scene had a couple of guys in the room talking, and the guy who delivers the line says, “I don’t like him, you don’t like him but he’s got a point.” It might be “trust” instead of “like”.

Milhouse, help us out…

facenorth

American Wedding when Stiffler finds out Jim is getting married and says that they get to have a bachelor party. And then Finch says ‘I don’t like the guy, but he’s got a point’ or whatever the quote is. I’m like 98% sure that is what I was thinking of, can anyone confirm?

Stevo

I concur….which mean I agree

Milhouse

Actually, I think it’s from American Pie (the first one)…the line is Finch’s response to Stifler’s idea for Jason Biggs to set up a webcam in his bedroom for when Shannon Elizabeth comes over to play.

el radio

speaking of movies…nice avatar milhouse…infact they showed clockwork orange at Hope in the mArtha Miller center this past tuesday. Don’t get me wrong…i think clockwork is really f’ed up, and i really loved the movie, but does it seem odd to show a movie like that at Hope?…or any school for that matter?

i got really bored and i have nothin to post about….i thought id throw it out there

quacker

(Stifler) Jim, get some f*****’ balls. If you don’t have the guts to photograph a naked chick, how you gonna sleep with one?

(Finch) I don’t like the kid, but he’s got a point.

Nice job Milhouse.

T-Bone

Anybody who saw the 400 free relay last Friday in the Hope vs. Calvin meet would be out of their mind if they did not pick Rose to win this event. His relay start was extremely conservative and he still reeled Boumgarden, the top returner in the 100 in the MIAA this year.

Rose is big, strong, fast, competitive and training in John Patnott’s sprint program. He will win this race at MIAA’s.

This is in no way a knock on John Boumgarden. I think I might actually root for him at MIAA’s to win the event because of the “intangibles” (senior year, nice guy, big heart, etc.), as long as Hope takes 2-6 in the event and takes back the MIAA championship.

@T-Bone wrote:

This is in no way a knock on John Boumgarden. I think I might actually root for him at MIAA’s to win the event because of the “intangibles” (senior year, nice guy, big heart, etc.), as long as Hope takes 2-6 in the event and takes back the MIAA championship.

T-Bone, did you say you “might” root for Boumgarden to win the event. As a fellow HOPE alum I really encourage you to reconsider. It is one thing to root for an opponent to perform well at NCAAs or to obtain a cut in a time trial, yet I don’t think rooting for a Calvin guy to defeat Rose et al at MIAAs is an acceptable practice.

Love,

Billy

maverick1

ress having the fastest split in 400FR at the calvin/hope meet makes it seem like this race will only get closer and closer as the season progresses. I mean CVB still has the same number of votes as rose, and rose has swam much faster than cvb so far. Does this mean it is fair to judge JBG not swimming great now as a sign that he won’t at miaas, but not make the same judgement with cvb?

i think it’s still up in the air….if ellis doesn’t swim it

silentp

Nothing can be taken away from a relay split from an in-season dual meet, other than how the individual swims in-season in dual meets. No one will know anything until the race in February, but if it changes predictions, so be it.

Ress had to impress at least some people with the fastest split, but again, it’s only a dual meet and it’s in-season.

If Rose goes a 45 at Wheaton, then i will consider him the heavy favorite to win the event, until then, i think it’s up in the air (or water).

Mav you make a good point about Ress. Rose is up in the air right now because he is a freshman when it comes to knowing how he swims inseason. Last year we saw Resseguie get faster as the year went on and he didn’t drop as much as JBG come February. It’s too early to tell how Rose will taper. I would put CVB and JBG in the same boat (mostly because you can abbreviate them with three capital letters) because they swim so much better rested.

P as far as your statement about Rose having to go a 45 in December even to be considered. You are biased as we all are, but that statement just goes to show how much. We all know you love your boy Ellis and he is a great swimmer, no one is refuting that. But when Ellis’ best time is a relay time that STILL isn’t even where you think Matt Rose needs to be before you will even CONSIDER him, that is quite a statement. Not to mention that CVB has the fastest split in MIAA and the best open time when looking at last year’s results, yes he even split faster than Ellis. But I can see why you would pick Ellis.

silentp

@Happy Madison wrote:

P as far as your statement about Rose having to go a 45 in December even to be considered. You are biased as we all are, but that statement just goes to show how much. We all know you love your boy Ellis and he is a great swimmer, no one is refuting that. But when Ellis’ best time is a relay time that STILL isn’t even where you think Matt Rose needs to be before you will even CONSIDER him, that is quite a statement. Not to mention that CVB has the fastest split in MIAA and the best open time when looking at last year’s results, yes he even split faster than Ellis. But I can see why you would pick Ellis.

I think you misread what i said. T bone had made the statement that “Anybody who saw the 400 free relay last Friday in the Hope vs. Calvin meet would be out of their mind if they did not pick Rose to win this event.” I was merely saying while he is obviously a top candidate to win the event, i don’t think he could be considered the heavy favorite or almost shoe-in victor unless we saw an amazing time like a 45 at the mid season meet. Apparently having the 2nd fastest split of the meet gives you the title in late November.

T-Bone

@silentp wrote:

Nothing can be taken away from a relay split from an in-season dual meet, other than how the individual swims in-season in dual meets. No one will know anything until the race in February, but if it changes predictions, so be it.

@silentp wrote:

Apparently having the 2nd fastest split of the meet gives you the title in late November.

How can you say something like that? Isn’t that what this poll is about: our opinions? Have you never made a prediction based on impressive in-season performances? And why does anybody from Hope have to swim a near-school-record time at a mid-season meet that they don’t even really taper for in order for you to think they are a good pick for winning this event?

silentp

@T-Bone wrote:

How can you say something like that? Isn’t that what this poll is about: our opinions? Have you never made a prediction based on impressive in-season performances? And why does anybody from Hope have to swim a near-school-record time at a mid-season meet that they don’t even really taper for in order for you to think they are a good pick for winning this event?

I say it because i feel Rose, CVB, and Ellis all could be 46-low, maybe faster, so unless someone, anyone, goes something like a 45, the race is still up for discussion, the discussion you wanted to end because of Rose’s split and come from behind swim.

I am really excited for my favorite part of the mid-season invites: everyone saying how not-rested they were :). I love that. Also, i was bitched out for saying how Hope tapered for mid-season by another Hope alum, because every year is different, so i don’t know what i am talking about, so how can you say what they will do this year for mid season?

stewie

Anyone else surprised JBG is not getting any love in this poll. I mean he is the fastest returner from the 100 finals from last year at 47.04.

The Treat

@SixBags wrote:

We all know JBG comes strong at the end of the year. It’s hard for me to believe that John doesn’t have a vote after placing second last year.

yes stewie, sixbags was surprised as well.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.