MEETS THIS WEEKEND LFG

Moderators: Negrodamus, Diesel471, ThePlowman, Archer

Big Papa
Team Affiliation: Kzoo

MEETS THIS WEEKEND LFG

Post by Big Papa » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:28 am

There are meets this weekend. Oh boy am I excited, I wasn't sure we would get to this point but its a good feeling.

Calvin V Albion

I love that we are starting off with a bang for dual meet season. The Calvin Albion dual is always one of my favorites to watch. I'll put money on Calvin for the dub, they've been back in the water earlier and Calvin swims really well during season. The format is also short; which is Calvin's bread and butter.

Hope

Hope is up at SVSU this weekend with GVSU. Obviously GVSU gets the win, but should be interesting to see where Hope is at. Really excited to see what the Freshman are like, Taber brought in a whole dumptruck of them so I'm sure a few are pretty good.

I dont believe the other teams are racing; but someone please correct me if I am wrong. Its meet weekend baby LETS GOOOOO
"Give your meet a good ol' rub"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2X7GCUhZJs

"heh heh yeah boi"

Big Papa
Team Affiliation: Kzoo

Re: MEETS THIS WEEKEND LFG

Post by Big Papa » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:04 am

Calvin V Albion

It is pretty clear that Albion only had a week of practice before this meet. They where swept in every event expect the breaststrokers and women's 100fly. The new Calvin transfer Maggie Farrell looks like should could be a missing piece for Calvin's relays.

Hope

Hope looked...fine. B. Smiths 1:44 was great and so was Schafer's 2:09. Hope looks good but nothing unexpected.

More meets this weekend :)
"Give your meet a good ol' rub"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2X7GCUhZJs

"heh heh yeah boi"

facenorth

Post by facenorth » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:44 pm

So 20.56 is pretty good this time of year, right? GEEZ. Iturbe is a stud.

It got me thinking... he's won every freestyle event at the MIAA Championships except the 50 (where he just posted the fastest time in the country this year). Has anyone ever won every distance of freestyle events at MIAA's? I doubt it. Granted he'd have to go through Holstege's 20.2 from last year. It's also not like there is any need for him to swim the 50 with the stable of sprinters residing off of the Beltline right now either. Regardless, he has an impressive of range of freestyle as anyone this conference has ever seen. Say what you want about 'how' you compare a swimmer from one era to another -- there's no ideal way to do it, but Iturbe is extremely talented. I'm not sure if Cheadle, SilentP or any of the other older guys still browse this (or if someone flat out has enough time on their hands to go through the MIAA's archive). Off the top of my head, I can only think of one swimmer that scored in four different distances of freestyle at the NCAA Championships. Brian Slagh back around the turn of the century was typically a 1-2-5 guy and managed to talk JP into the 50 his senior year. Has anyone else scored in 4 different freestyle distances? What about all 5?

Unionsteels4
Team Affiliation: NA

Post by Unionsteels4 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:10 pm

Super excited to have swimming again.

Albion vs. Calvin was probably the most hyperbolic version of these two teams dual meet approaches, and coaching styles. One loves to have his guys ready to go all year (and FAST the whole time like wtf) and the other really presses to get in amazing shape and taper hard when it matters (also got in later). pros and cons to both, but long story short, we learned nothing from this meet. Sage Gettings is fast. Side note, where's Wonner?

Hope meet was honestly kinda hit or miss. Nothing to wow you, but definitely a little bit more telling of what Hope has been hiding. Most of their top times are freshmen, and literally zero upperclassmen made an appearance on their A or B relays for the mens side. Maddie O'donnell is fast.

Looking forward to the Hope Albion meet this weekend (lets not forget our comets either, they got a super fast freshy). Looks like Hope might've suited for that first meet while Albion didn't. Hopefully both coaches get on the same page and both suit or both don't so we get a good meet. Should be awesome to watch. Predicting that the dutchwomen get the W. the men's side is a tossup but I'm going Hope by a diver.

Onlylastplace
Team Affiliation: Albion

Post by Onlylastplace » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:08 am

Yes lots of good meets! Honestly was fun to check meet mobile this year to see who had the raw talent to get up and go off of little training. Obviously across the board we saw the true extent of the training teams have had and what we can say is... its been little. Calvin and Albion interesting to say the least. I guess in my mind I expected Calvin to swim ungodly fast, why, they always find a way to in season. Maybe Covid-19 is exactly what the evil MIAA doctored order to even out the league this year. The Hope GVSU SVSU meet was a doozy to watch, GVSU is looking good, like they've been in the pool for a month but to the crowds appeal hope didn't look awful.

Notable Swims:
Calvin v. Albion

- Corey Campbell 50 free 21.55 & 100 fly 51.53
- Jacob Heeres 46.8

- Julien's Lead off 20.56

Hope v GV & SV
- Smith's 200 free 1:44 and 500 4:47
- Braden Pfiel Lead off 54.5 back
- Maddy O'donnel 1:55 200 free

Hoping to see some improved swims this upcoming weekend. Hope vs. Albion, Calvin vs. G & Albion again?

Singing off- the last one

Unionsteels4
Team Affiliation: NA

Post by Unionsteels4 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:53 pm

Now that you mention it, I definitely missed something big. Hope's women went a 3:54 in the 4 med??? At this time of year? Unless it's a typo, schaefer split a 1:04 and that relay time would have placed 2nd at LEAGUES last year behind, wait for it, Hope's A relay. Wack