MIAA Preview

Moderators: Negrodamus, Diesel471, ThePlowman, Archer

The Russian Jester
Team Affiliation: Bullocks Univeristy

MIAA Preview

Post by The Russian Jester » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:29 am

I wanted to put this out there now that winter break is going to be ending soon and there are going to be two tri meets before MIAAs. I have heard rumors about the format for the championships and the event lineup, and let me just say, this meet is starting out completely one sided. Let’s be honest, with the loss of their breaststrokers and only gaining more freestylers and backstrokers, Calvin was coming into this year in a deficit against both Hope and Albion. My prediction before all this was that Albion would win again on the men’s side with Hope coming in second. The Hopes women team would definitely had taken first. Now, the 4 day meet is now down to two, while staying prelims finals. The lineup itself is set up to completely aid Calvin, by spreading out freestyle and backstroke, meanwhile events that Albion and Hope are known for are stacked against each other back to back?! I love the competition and how close the meet is normally, the uncertainty of the winners. But this is a little ridiculous. Not only that, but the fact that not only are D1 schools still doing 3-4 day meet championships but that the MIAA swimmers are still doing prelims finals in a separated gender meet. So little rest between events and I foresee a lot of people not trying in most prelims to try and save for finals. Let me know everyone else’s thoughts on this.

Big Papa
Team Affiliation: Kzoo

Re: MIAA Preview

Post by Big Papa » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:18 am

I'd be happy just to even get a conference meet at this rate.

But since this board is meant for speculation and hot takes...

I think its pretty clear the Hope women have this year, we've seen the rise and I don't think Calvin has the guns this year, Gundy was not replaced. Hope women are super deep and faster.
1) Hope
2) Calvin
3) Albion
4) Kzoo
5) Alma
6) Olivet

On the mens side...

Albion lost a boat load of seniors, while they are still deep I don't think Albion brought in enough to replace that class.

Calvin lost a few seniors, but look pretty solid for the new class coming in. If they show up in prelims Calvin probably wins. I don't know if I necessarily agree that the meet was scheduled to benefit Calvin, all the coaches had input. Its swimming, nut up and swim your dirty double.

I frankly don't know enough about how Hope looks, only things that don't give me confidence. Loosing DK and DC graduating are big holes and I just don't know how the mens look. Granted they brought in a pretty big class, so we could see a pretty deep and fast Hope Squad.

1) Calvin; solely because they'll win most of the relays
2) Hope; Taber has tricks up his sleeve
3) Albion; I just dont see it
4) Kzoo
5) Olivet
6) Alma

I think we'll see a three way battle on the mens side, Calvin needs to show up in the morning, and Albion depth needs to go nutty. Hope could absolutely be in the mix.

There are a lot of unknowns, how did season stoppage affect everyone? how much training has everyone had? Will teams have full rosters or will positive tests and contract tracing cripple a team? Granted this all depends if we actually get a MIAA, fingers crossed folks.
"Give your meet a good ol' rub"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2X7GCUhZJs

"heh heh yeah boi"

The Russian Jester

Post by The Russian Jester » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:37 pm

Another interesting aspect that’ll apply to the meet is NCAA qualifiers. If the meet is held at all, they got rid of B cuts. A lot of power house schools dropped out early in the season, giving a lot of opportunities for the MIAA conference to show up. They are only taking the top 16 I think? Here’s where that is challenging, relays and past NCAA competitors. First, with the drop of B cuts entirely, I think this means that even if a relay goes, if you weren’t top 16 in your events, you don’t get individuals. Second, there haven’t been any meets that really counted for swimmers that were fast enough to even be considered for Nattys. People like Julian, who normally have them by mid season, will have to either swim their times in the tri meets or MIAAs. This also means that they have to swim their top events. Does that mean changing lineups now that the event order is changed? Priority shifted to a single event or two and saying just finish the third? Or will coaches hope that their swimmers will be fast enough to manage those events as well as a third in a double format?

Big Papa
Team Affiliation: Kzoo

Post by Big Papa » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:35 am

While I can't really speak for what the coaches will do; I would advise suiting up for every meet and just trying to be fast. There is no reason to not take advantage of every meet, because you never know when one might be canceled. If you can get a top 16 time at a duel meet, go for it.

On Nationals; I find it super unlikely that the teams are brought out to Seattle, I know thats what the NCAA has promised, but bringing in teams across the country screams bad idea. This is different then the basketball tournament because that will take a few weeks to complete rather then being just a weekend. I see virtual finals for those who qualified for nats with their conference, so all the MIAA Nats qualifiers do virtual nats together. But thats just a theory, a game theory.
"Give your meet a good ol' rub"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2X7GCUhZJs

"heh heh yeah boi"

Unionsteels4
Team Affiliation: NA

Post by Unionsteels4 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:26 pm

Would be a huge bummer to have remote nationals but I agree the alternative seems like a dubious proposition at best. For that reason, I can't really imagine a team changing their league lineup to fit nationals since there's no guarantee that any of the meets happen. really is a year though to put out a ton of MIAA qualifiers if its not as planned.

For now, my MIAA predictions will occur in tiers.

Women
Tier 1: Hope, Calvin
Tier 2: Albion
Tier 3: Kzoo
Tier 4: Olivet, Alma, St Marys

Men
Tier 1: Calvin
Tier 2: Albion, Hope
Tier 3: Kzoo
Tier 4: Trine, Olivet, Alma, Adrian

I disagree that Hope's women are a lock to win. possibly the favorites but Id like to see what they do in the clutch. younger teams are unpredictable at the end of the year. Additionally, Calvin quietly picked up another good class that has high scoring potential and the cupboard wasn't bare to begin with

Calvins men are definitely my favorites. Albion lost a lot, Hope has the same freshmen sophomore thing going on as the women but more pronounced, and calvins Freshmen big three are balling right now (admittedly when it doesn't matter). Last year their top freshys were sick. I am sure it'll start to look a little more even as teams get in shape and I will likely boost one or both of H and A in with C. Too bad the meet isn't there ;)

Onlylastplace
Team Affiliation: Albion

Post by Onlylastplace » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:48 am

Yeah I think all of this is great information but lets get real here guys, theres two things that I think trump every class, strength of roster, etc.

1. Covid testing, for MIAA's to even be a thing i'm assuming that Health centers will require twice a week testing from here on out until MIAA's. With that being said it doesn't matter if you're Julian or some lowly freshman. One positive covid-test and the entire meet can be flipped upside down. Especially with the WHO coming out and saying that maybe two mask's will help prevent the spread of covid more, insinuating that one doesn't? We have no clue how this covid thing works and i'm guessing that with Residence halls and campus living someone or multiple people are bound to get Covid and not be able to swim MIAA or not be able to swim a meet during season and throw off training or heaven forbid during taper.

2. Obviously the pool access topic has been one at the front of swimming, most of these incoming freshman have probably never been toldthey can only swim for 6-8 and that the coaches demand results (especially when most freshman swim year round). But my point stands that pool access is a huge thing, I know that Albion and Hope have been struggling with the ability of pool access and season parameters, and we forget about Kzoo but they don't even have a pool. Not sure about Calvin, heard a while back that they were still able to train (no clue). I don't even know if swimmers will have time to ramp up training in time for a so called taper? Not sure how this will work out but upper-hand might go to Calvin due to usual fast times in season.

Let's just cross our fingers that everyone is healthy and stays that way and that we have a meet, as for predictions, there is no way to predict what's going to happen this year in my opinion there are way to many external factors.

Thoughts???

Signing off - the one who gets last.

Fireball27
Team Affiliation: Kings College Cambridge

Post by Fireball27 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:31 pm

Onlylastplace wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:48 am
One positive covid-test and the entire meet can be flipped upside down.
Not to mention the quarantining that comes with it, one positive test could easily take out a quarter to a third of a team for a minimum of two weeks depending on who gets the positive test. Whether or not those two weeks occur during MIAAs, two weeks out of the pool this late in the season would set many swimmers so far back in their training cycles it would be near impossible to recover.
Both of you dance like you want to win

JasonInteger
Team Affiliation: Alma

Post by JasonInteger » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:50 pm

I may have left Alma, but I left one major thing behind... the secret to waging CHEMICAL WARFARE! Little did Hope know this past weekend, but used brought our advanced D2 technology to inflict the entirety of HMS with viruses that will not register as a positive until a week before conferences. This is in order to sink the ship and their season. Hope will then proceed to spread this virus this weekend to Olivet and Albion, thereby ruling out half of the MIAA for conferences. This will lead to a 3 team conference meet in which the ultimate viruses will be unleashed to destroy Kalamazoo and Calvin from their insides. By default, this will lead to an ALMA MIAA CHAMPIONSHIP! Be on the lookout to see the team formerly known as the Fighting Presbyterians on top of the podium at MIAAs after having vanquished the competition through chemical warfare.

Onlylastplace

Post by Onlylastplace » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:53 pm

lol...

The Russian Jester

Post by The Russian Jester » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:39 pm

Well ladies and gents, it’s officially happened. The first step towards the cancellation of MIAAs. Calvin, I feel for you guys having gotten struck by covid so close to the meet. That has to suck so much especially for how well you guys have been swimming for in season. But the fact that MIAA’s is now moved back a week and is during finals week for some colleges is ridiculous. And that it’s Thursday and Saturday now... I just know how many swimmers were already hanging on by a thread and this just might push too many over the edge. At some point, the towel should be thrown in. The meet should be held at the original time, whether or not Calvin wants to host at that point. I don’t care if some of Calvin’s swimmers have to be quarantined until the meet. We knew since the start that teams were going to have to watch health risks. Every other team has dealt with the same thing. At this point I know I’m ranting and I apologize but this is so frustrating. Let me know what everyone else thinks.

Merlin
Team Affiliation: oxford

Post by Merlin » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:04 pm

There is truth to this. A different venue would not be discussed amongst the powers that be. It seems that the Commish has it in for swimming...still bitter that coaches wouldn't cave to her autocratic thinking early on in the process. They put up a fight that may have hurt them more than help.

The kids deserve to swim. The meet should happen. It should be 3 days. Give them an experience. Give them the chance to appropriately display the hard work they put in. They have had NCAA's ripped from them...give the this.

Maybe a Wise Owl has an answer. Maybe a Kilt-Laden Scott could knock some sense into her, or a Comet from the sky or a Glistening Sword of a Knight could strike her into another realm of common sense or decency. Tying an anchor to her and throwing her into Lake Michigan would be going "overboard"....but you get the "drift".

Swimmers deserve the best experience that can be given that is still safe and fun. Maybe another venue? Maybe explore 3 days? This warlock can predict that the presidents, ADs, or her highness won't budge....but we can all dream.

Onlylastplace

Post by Onlylastplace » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:29 pm

Im with Merlin on this one, i'm not sure why they can't hold the swim meet for a 3 day period like it always has been, what's the point of making it a 2 day meet? Especially now with it going to a Thursday - Saturday lineup. Please if anyone knows why let me know to put me at ease but it looks like the MIAA is shooting themselves in the foot. I can agree with splitting up the men and women, USA swimming has sort of taken this approach to dwindle numbers but still the fact that the entire meet lineup is put into a bag and scrambled up is silly. Ill stop now, please any info on reasoning why is appreciated!

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:27 pm

Sometimes the masses are the only ones that can be loud enough to let the powers that be know how they feel. The Student-Athletes pay these salaries. Do they need to let the @MIAA know how they feel? Little tweety birds can be loud. Insta nt communication can be effective. My magic book of faces says that people will listen.............

The Russian Jester

Post by The Russian Jester » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:00 pm

So I can kinda explain the reasoning for why the meet is run like this but I disagree with it. First, looking at other venues is “not an option” because of funding. Don’t ask me why two 2 day meets are somehow more expensive then one 4 day meet. That’s why they won’t change the pool to Holland. And anywhere else that has space apparently doesn’t fall under the MIAA covid guidelines. Now for the lineup change was to limit the amount of people swimming triples in one session. But the new format still sucks and should be a 3 day meet and just add the 8 free relay somewhere. Finally, why it’s now Thursday Saturday. From what I have heard, it’s because Calvin is also hosting a track meet on one of the Friday sessions and to keep both the guys meet and the girls the same, both groups are doing the same Thursday Saturday set up. Why is it that ADs and the powers that be that have never invested into our sport suddenly make all the decisions without even discussing it with the coaches. You know, the people who’s very livelihood is swimming and they know what is best for the teams?

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:00 am

This "MIAA Covid Guideline" sounds pretty sketchy to me. How do they know if they do not ask? I doubt the commish has honestly looked at the Covid guidelines for other pools in the area to see if they meet or exceed the MIAA standard. That sounds like a big FAT excuse to not put in the work to see what would actually be best for the athletes, or to explore options. As I understand it, Holland was not in the discussion...there were plenty of other places that could offer a MUCH MUCH less expensive option. The Thursday/Sat thing, as my crystal ball has told me...says it has something to do with testing and each team being able to provide a person to test on Friday. But I am sure the track meet also has something to do with it.

Yes, it is too bad the coaches (supposedly) were not involved in these discussions...I think it appears that communication has been lacking across the board...