2021 NESCAC Season

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, polarbear, imJumbo

GoNats
Team Affiliation: Williams College

2021 NESCAC Season

Post by GoNats » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:18 am

Anybody hearing anything? I've heard from a reliable source that at least one Ivy League school is cancelling all sports for 2021-22. Ugh.

polarbear
Team Affiliation: Bowdoin

Re: 2021 NESCAC Season

Post by polarbear » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:24 pm

Bowdoin had an alumni town hall during which they said some interesting stuff:
- At least some of next year will be remote because some faculty have pre-existing conditions
- They are coordinating with other NESCAC schools
- Someone asked about athletics and they said they were important and hoped not to cancel them

barbotus
Team Affiliation: Denison

Post by barbotus » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:48 pm

polarbear wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:24 pm
- At least some of next year will be remote because some faculty have pre-existing conditions
- Someone asked about athletics and they said they were important and hoped not to cancel them
School said a LOT more interesting stuff today. Wow.

polarbear

Post by polarbear » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:53 pm

Yeah, not impressed with what I heard about the decision making process

bobcatchronic
Team Affiliation: Bates

Post by bobcatchronic » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:13 pm

barbotus wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:48 pm
polarbear wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:24 pm
School said a LOT more interesting stuff today. Wow.
That’s a pretty significant step by Bowdoin. As far as I know, they’re the only ones going that far. I think Bates should be finalizing their plan soon. From what I hear, all of the coaches across the conference are doing their best to find ways to safely get their entire teams in the water this coming year, and still find a way to hopefully have a conference meet. Fingers crossed that can happen.

WesD03
Team Affiliation: Wesleyan

Post by WesD03 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:17 pm

Williams just cancelled fall sports. Guessing that may be the domino...

https://247sports.com/Article/williams- ... 148665825/

GoNats

Post by GoNats » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:57 am

I don't want to "out" anyone, but several top Williams men's swimmers have committed to taking the year off and returning to what will presumably be a full NESCAC season next year. Should make for a very interesting 2021-2022 season as many of the best swimmers over a five year period compete for conference honors.

polarbear

Post by polarbear » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:47 pm

GoNats wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:57 am
I don't want to "out" anyone, but several top Williams men's swimmers have committed to taking the year off and returning to what will presumably be a full NESCAC season next year. Should make for a very interesting 2021-2022 season as many of the best swimmers over a five year period compete for conference honors.
Interesting approach -- I guess it depends on whether or not you believe there will be a spring season. I believe Williams is back on campus, which would allow them to train with Kuster and with the relaxation of NESCAC rules they could start training even earlier. They could compete in the fall as Purple Valley Aquatics, if they want, and be ready to go for NESCACs with an extra month of training. I believ A v W is @ W this year, so they could even rest for that and make cuts if they want.

Now, if you believe there won't be a spring season its all moot, but theres at least an argument to be made that there is more opportunity this year than most.

bobcatchronic
Team Affiliation: Bates

Post by bobcatchronic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:15 pm

GoNats wrote:
I’m curious - what’s the benefit of this? Are these people planning on taking a full year off from school? Or just saving a year of eligibility so that they can swim in grad school? If it’s taking a full year off...I can’t say I understand delaying graduating for a year just for a chance to beat Tufts one more time.

GoNats

Post by GoNats » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:26 pm

polarbear wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:47 pm

Interesting approach -- I guess it depends on whether or not you believe there will be a spring season. I believe Williams is back on campus, which would allow them to train with Kuster and with the relaxation of NESCAC rules they could start training even earlier. They could compete in the fall as Purple Valley Aquatics, if they want, and be ready to go for NESCACs with an extra month of training. I believ A v W is @ W this year, so they could even rest for that and make cuts if they want.

Now, if you believe there won't be a spring season its all moot, but theres at least an argument to be made that there is more opportunity this year than most.
If I understand correctly, it doesn't look like Williams (including student athletes) will be on campus between Thanksgiving and mid-to-late February, so that means no coaches practices for the nearly three months leading up to NESCACs. So I'm not optimistic. Also, the conference does not seem to have had much a role in coordinating the actions of individual schools, and they're all over the place. Herding them all in one direction will be hard. And I couldn't help but take note at how readily the schools shanked all spring 2020 and then fall 2020 sports. So long as the pandemic continues through November, one might fairly ask, "What makes winter sports so special?"

Fingers crossed, though. I'd love to see those returning swimmers get a shot at a 2020-21 season.

rambo
Team Affiliation: Tufts

Post by rambo » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:54 pm

bobcatchronic wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:15 pm
GoNats wrote:
I’m curious - what’s the benefit of this? Are these people planning on taking a full year off from school? Or just saving a year of eligibility so that they can swim in grad school? If it’s taking a full year off...I can’t say I understand delaying graduating for a year just for a chance to beat Tufts one more time.
Tufts is obviously unique within the conference in the sense that if senior swimmers wanted to finish school and their eligibility is retained they have a variety of "fifth year" Master's opportunities allowing them to complete their careers with their teammates. From the Williams perspective, even if they don't use their eligibility, if they enroll at school and graduate this year they're either done with swimming or have to start with a brand new team while pursuing a graduate degree. From their perspective it's probably not specifically about beating Tufts one more time but finishing their careers the right way with their teammates by their side.

With that being said as a Jumbo guy I wouldn't mind seeing lovette, karofsky, pearcy, Craig, westphal, etc. finish their careers where they can't hurt us :lol: