2020 NCAAs

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, polarbear, imJumbo

GoNats
Team Affiliation: Williams College

2020 NCAAs

Post by GoNats » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:14 am

Does anyone know how the Amherst decision will impact its Greensboro-bound athletes?

swimdad
Team Affiliation: NESCAC

Re: 2020 NCAAs

Post by swimdad » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:49 am

I think it puts at risk their chances of competing, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a wider NESCAC restriction. Could get interesting.

purpleandwhite
Team Affiliation: amherst

Post by purpleandwhite » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:47 am

swimdad wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:49 am
I think it puts at risk their chances of competing, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a wider NESCAC restriction. Could get interesting.
Not sure why this didn't post earlier.
Amherst policy is no school funded travel to areas that have declared state of emergency.
That means if NC declares state of emergency before March 18th then no travel.

oldeph
Team Affiliation: williams

Post by oldeph » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:03 pm

purpleandwhite wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:47 am
swimdad wrote:
Amherst policy is no school funded travel to areas that have declared state of emergency.
Harvard has announced distance learning/e-learning post Spring break, moving students out of campus/dorms by 3/15.

Listening to head of Infectious Diseases from Yale on an industry conference call now. Based on what he is saying, I’d assume NO events like NCAAs should/do take place. I’m trying to NOT be an alarmist but this follows on after the Podcast many people heard by a leading epidemiologist from Harvard. Both were consistent. We shall see...

rambo
Team Affiliation: Tufts

Post by rambo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:23 pm

oldeph wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:03 pm
purpleandwhite wrote:
swimdad wrote:
Harvard has announced distance learning/e-learning post Spring break, moving students out of campus/dorms by 3/15.

Listening to head of Infectious Diseases from Yale on an industry conference call now. Based on what he is saying, I’d assume NO events like NCAAs should/do take place. I’m trying to NOT be an alarmist but this follows on after the Podcast many people heard by a leading epidemiologist from Harvard. Both were consistent. We shall see...
Wouldn't the NCAA have to cancel March Madness to be fair if they were going to cancel the meet? And would they really be willing to do that? I think/really hope not.

In other news, North Carolina just declared a state of emergency...

oldeph

Post by oldeph » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:55 pm

rambo wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:23 pm
oldeph wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:03 pm
purpleandwhite wrote:

Wouldn't the NCAA have to cancel March Madness to be fair if they were going to cancel the meet? And would they really be willing to do that? I think/really hope not.

In other news, North Carolina just declared a state of emergency...
Not sure but don't think it matters. Ivy League cancelled their Basketball Tournament. Listen to the podcast by Harvard Doctor of Communicable Diseases Marc Lipsitch. You can also read this: https://www.fast.ai/2020/03/09/coronavirus/

Scary stuff...My PSA for the day.

bobcatchronic
Team Affiliation: Bates

Post by bobcatchronic » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:59 pm

rambo wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:23 pm

I've seen some talk about playing in empty arenas (similar to what the Italian soccer teams were doing last week). It might hurt the atmosphere at the venues and the intensity, but the NCAA would probably still be happy since they'd still have their TV deal with CBS and even more people will be home watching. If I had to guess, I would say they'll cancel altogether with the way that everything is progressing.

swimdad
Team Affiliation: NESCAC

Post by swimdad » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:30 pm

Feel especially sad for the seniors. Let’s hope they let the swimmers compete in an empty arena. Fingers crossed.

GoNats

Post by GoNats » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:44 pm

swimdad wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:30 pm
Feel especially sad for the seniors. Let’s hope they let the swimmers compete in an empty arena. Fingers crossed.
Agreed.

oldeph

Post by oldeph » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:42 pm

swimdad wrote:
SoCal JOs just cancelled. Age group meet but a big one.

GoNats

Post by GoNats » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:46 pm

oldeph wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:42 pm
swimdad wrote:
YMCA Nationals scheduled for later this month in Greensboro. Cancelled today.

https://swimswam.com/ymca-short-course- ... ince-1947/

RetiredJet
Team Affiliation: Tufts

Post by RetiredJet » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:52 pm

GoNats wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:46 pm
oldeph wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:42 pm
swimdad wrote:
YMCA Nationals scheduled for later this month in Greensboro. Cancelled today.

https://swimswam.com/ymca-short-course- ... ince-1947/
Very curious to see if they cancel one NCAA meet (i.e. division 3) does that mean they will cancel all of them. In that case is there anything keeping a team from hosting a home meet to give kids a shot to just see how they might have swam? I know it wouldn't be optimal but for someone like Roger Gu or Laura Westphal might be nice to end the season with a full shave and taper just to see what they can do.

polarbear
Team Affiliation: Bowdoin

Post by polarbear » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:46 pm

Bowdoin hosting women's basketball tournament this weekend and will do so without spectators.

CT also cancelled states, a number of NESCAC recruits coming out of that area and one of the events was to be swum at Wes

nescac123
Team Affiliation: None

Post by nescac123 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:30 pm

oldeph wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:55 pm
Not sure but don't think it matters. Ivy League cancelled their Basketball Tournament.
This decisions confuses me. Why not just play behind close doors if the conference is still going to send a team to March Madness? Its not perfect but gives all the teams (and seniors) a chance to play one more time and an actual conference winner can be determined.

imJumbo
Team Affiliation: Tufts University

Post by imJumbo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:24 am

Tufts just moved to online only learning starting on March 15. Students are to move out of the dorms and not return to campus (if possible) through the spring semester. (For those who can't return home, they can stay in the dorms on campus.)

Regarding athletics, this is copied:

Athletic restrictions and cancellations

While winter season athletic teams will be allowed to complete their seasons, spectators will be prohibited from attending any events held at Tufts, including the NCAA tournament games being held at Cousens Gymnasium this weekend. Whenever possible, these events will be streamed online.

Following a decision of the NESCAC presidents, the NESCAC league and championship play are canceled. Further, Tufts, like many of our NESCAC colleagues, will not have any spring sports for the remainder of the semester. We await guidance from the NCAA about eligibility for spring post-season play. We realize this will be upsetting to our athletes and their supporters. We recognize the dedication and hard work of our student athletes, and we look forward to resumption of NESCAC competition in the future.

So it looks like if the swimming isn't canceled they'll be able to go to finish out the winter season, but spring athletics conference wide have been canceled.