MIAA 2020 Predictions

Moderators: Negrodamus, Diesel471, ThePlowman, Archer

Peruvian Puff Pepper
Team Affiliation: Albion College

MIAA 2020 Predictions

Post by Peruvian Puff Pepper » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:12 pm

We got one more MIAA dual meet, but it's bout that time.

I think Albion takes both titles... On the mens side, I got 1. Albion 2. Calvin. 3. Hope 4. Kzoo 5. Olivet 6. Alma, and on the womens 1. Albion 2. Hope 3. Calvin 4. Kzoo 5. Alma 6. Olivet. Thoughts?

I.stole.the.k.owl
Team Affiliation: Albion

Re: MIAA 2020 Predictions

Post by I.stole.the.k.owl » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:18 pm

I think that one team will win i guess

RollTide
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Post by RollTide » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:39 pm

That Albion men’s win is a solid prediction but I think Calvin is just too deep for Albion to be taken down. It’ll come down to Calvin’s freestyle vs Albion’s everything else like usual, but Heeres and Camy essentially make up for the loss of Britton and then add extra points between the two of them. Toomey will score in backstroke, Iddings looks to be coming on strong at the end of the season, and I just think Calvin is too deep this year to be taken down. However, that being said, I think Albion will put up a fight, their freshman just have to show me something more because I can see Calvin taking at least 4 of the 5 relays.

I’m going to ignore the prediction of Albion winning on the women’s side because it’s not happening, but I think this is the last year Calvin wins for a while. Taber’s recruiting class for next year is going to propel Hope to a top 10 finish in the NCAA within the next 4 years. You heard it here first.

For another prediction, I predict that K loses the owl at least multiple times throughout the meet. Rumor has it they forgot it at Calvin and that the owl is currently in the possession of Alma. The 2019 MIAA meet has proven that they need to hire a security team just to watch over the owl.

Ghost of Fleming
Team Affiliation: Kzoo

Post by Ghost of Fleming » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:08 am

Peruvian Puff Pepper wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:12 pm
We got one more MIAA dual meet, but it's bout that time.

I think Albion takes both titles... On the mens side, I got 1. Albion 2. Calvin. 3. Hope 4. Kzoo 5. Olivet 6. Alma, and on the womens 1. Albion 2. Hope 3. Calvin 4. Kzoo 5. Alma 6. Olivet. Thoughts?
This dude really out here thinking Albion women are going to win, I don't know what you're smoking but please stop

RollTide
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Post by RollTide » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:09 pm

Ghost of Fleming wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:08 am

This dude really out here thinking Albion women are going to win, I don't know what you're smoking but please stop
He’s probably smoking Peruvian Puff Peppers

Balthazar027

Post by Balthazar027 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:10 pm

Well howdy folks, don’t mind if I invite myself into this conversation. First, I completely agree with Peruvian Puff Pepper for the predictions on the guys’ side. With using the top 16 best teams for each event for the conference based on college swimming, NO SCORING ROSTER AND LIMITED 3 SLOT SWIMS, WITHOUT RELAYS and without DIVING. I have the outcome they predicted. Albion wins by 36 points. And both Calvin and Albion trounce the rest of the conference. And this is with Julian basically winning 6 events and swimming the rest. Will this happen? That’s a bigger question. I think Albion should win the 4 med pretty easily, and should have a chance in the 2 med. The freestyles would be incredibly difficult to win. However, the B relays are were Albion could take 2-3 of the relays minimum. Calvin should still win the 2 free relays on both cases. The big joint is Hope’s 8 free relay which should be so much faster than last year. As for the women side, I will say I think it will be an absolute scorcher. Albion women barely won against Hope at the Quad meet, by the smallest margin possible. Key thing to take away is that they beat the defending champs after Taber had already started their rest period. But that might not mean anything against either Hope or Calvin at the end of the year. Depending on how well individual factors play out, I could see this coming down between all three teams on the womens’ side but my favorites are Calvin and Albion since the loss of Meg Peel. I can’t wait for the discussion and my ability to lay out some splendid predictions that I’m holding back for the moment. Here’s to the best conference in the D3 nation.

Balthazar027

Post by Balthazar027 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:13 pm

I meant best times, not teams. Top 16 best times for every race in the conference based on College swimming.

Peruvian Puff Pepper

Post by Peruvian Puff Pepper » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:47 pm

Balthazar027 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:10 pm
Albion women barely won against Hope at the Quad meet, by the smallest margin possible. Key thing to take away is that they beat the defending champs after Taber had already started their rest period.
If Taber had already started their rest period before that quad, this is news to me and it sounds like he’s taken a page out of Gelderloos’ book— not sure why anyone would want to follow that script. If him and Legend Nick Stone have learned anything from Dr Mr Sir Patnott, it’s that da Tru whey is to keep them beat down till it’s time to shine.

Also it seems like there has been a grouping on BOTH men’s women’s sides with Albion/Calvin/Hope in the top 3, Kzoo locked for 4th, and Olivet/Alma fighting for the last two. Now that I’m back, it’s a surefire win for the Albion men.

The other question is who’s gonna take the Owl and the Sword this year? I hope a sneaky freshmen, lurking from the shadows.

Unionsteels4
Team Affiliation: NA

Post by Unionsteels4 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:20 pm

Oh here we go!!

First of all and most important, prop bets
1. Over/under on the number of freshmen zoo puts in charge of the owl? I'm setting it at 2.5
2. Number of watches broken being thrown at a wall by coaches? *cough Calvin cough* Setting it at 1.5
3. How many times does Hope shakes its head wondering where JP has gone?
4. Best pre-race dance moves? My bet is currently Moran, but Calvin's Hannah Chao might give him a run for his money
Last and most importantly, does Calvin bring back the stretchy poles?

Random note, does anyone think Iturbe will lose the drug dealer dreads for the meet, or are they his power kind like Sampson?

Also, to whoever thinks Calvin is deeper than Albion, lets keep in mind that the only big swimmer Albion lost is Kozycki, replacing him with the return of the peruvian wonder himself as well as a couple highly talented freshys. Calvin lost little benny, Britton, and the 7th year senior(citizen) Skylar Fish. They had a recruiting class capable of replacing some of that, but acting like they'll immediately pick up the slack of that big 3 is a little delusional. Albion playing the long game once again, will taper and show out and this time might even win a relay now that Bholstege isn't spotting them 5 seconds on the 4 med. Hopes relays might be something to watch too since the Dans got some backup and they have some serious top end speed

Arthenaal
Team Affiliation: Albion college

Post by Arthenaal » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:54 pm

Alright first thing first, the fun bets.

1- It has been a trend for items to disappear. The sword, the owl. I think it’s time the microwave door takes a turn down the rabbit hole.
2- Will Iturbe cut his homeless hair and stop making it seem like he lives on the streets of down town Detroit?
3- Will Keith see a return to the hospital the week of, or will we finally see some of his high school speed?
4- Will Skyler Fish make a return show? A habit of his 8 or so years? Will he be even more bald?
5- Will Anger get even angrier after losing once again to Tyler Kimbrell and maybe Jake Huttenlocher?
6- Will Mac Robertson be thwarted once again in his elusive goal of winning the mile, and will Tim Randall once again come from behind to beat him?
7- Will Ian Moran finally win the 200 backstroke and show us what all his pump ups were finally about? Or will Connor Robertson or Toomey take his mantle and cast him down?
8- Is the Peruvian Legend going to smash once again or is he too old and washed up to have come out of retirement?
9- Will Taber announce his retirement from Hope for another school? Or will he wait for them to get close to winning a championship and then dip?
10- Will Nate Sutton continue to take 19-20 strokes per length in his distance events?

These are the burning questions for the night. Serious discussion is expected to follow.

SalParadise
Team Affiliation: MIAA

Post by SalParadise » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:20 pm

Some bold predictions of my own:
-Connor Robertson beats Keith for the 2 back, and goes on to a top 3 finish in all of his individual events
-Robertson still will not win the mile
-The Peruvian Legend will go best times in the 500 and 2 fly, for 2nd and 1st place, respectively. Breaks 1:50 in the 2 fly.
-At least one relay will have a 1st or 2nd place finisher that is not Albion or Calvin. Kzoo 2 free relay seems like a solid bet, maybe Hope 8 free?
-Bailey Smith breaks 16 in the mile for 1st
-I'll take the under on the kzoo freshmen and the over on the watches
-The timing system will malfunction on at least one relay

Arthenaal
Team Affiliation: Albion college

Post by Arthenaal » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:01 pm

Here are my predictions for the winners of the guys events. My contribution for the night. Some are bold, some are brazen, some are here for the talk of the town.

50 Free- Noah Holstege with a flawless victory and maybe the first ever under 20 time- 19.9-20.0
100 Free- Julian or Dan Keith I foresee going head to head should Julian choose this event for the 2 Fly. Wonner and Heeres close behind- 44.1
200 Free- Julian or Keith, same thing as the hundred-1:37.4
500 Free- Julian, enough said, biggest blow out of the meet unless something incredible happens-4:28.6
Mile- Bailey Smith should win followed by M. Robertson and Noah Mitchell. It’ll be curious to see all the race strategies this year after what has happened the past few years-15:57
100 Back- Moran is favorite but I think either an Albion or Calvin freshie could rise through the ranks, become the underdog, and beat him. Cole Nelson or Will Toomey. - 50.4
200 Back- Connor Robertson by a mile. Keith won’t swim it.- 1:48.9-1:49.5
100 Breast- Easy win for Albion with either Tyler Kimbrell or Jake Huttenlocher- 54.8-55.3
200 Breast- Again, same thing as before- 1:58.7-1:59.4
100 Fly- Evan Wonner with an uncontested win- 47.8-48.5
200 Fly- Three to four way battle in the 2 Fly. I think Huidobro and Iturbe are favorites depending on if Julian swims it. Drew Fogel was fast last year and Albion has a new flyer in Nate Cobb. However, Calvin still has Goins and has Gelderloos. Winner- 1:49.7-1:50.
200 IM- Jake Huttenlocher but should see contesting from C. Robertson, Declan Tharp, and Dan Clyde. All have potential for low 1:50s or faster based either on growth or best times. Winner- 1:48-1:49.5
400 IM- Depending on tapers for this event, between Clyde, Mitchell and Howrey. I don’t picture Huidobro going much faster than 4:05- Under 4:00.

The Russian Jester
Team Affiliation: Bullocks Univeristy

Post by The Russian Jester » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:50 pm

Entrance is performance and performance is key.

Albion- Pretends to be badass and not care but actually resembles familiar tactics of individuals of the conference... cough cough.

Alma- I’m sorry I didn’t even notice that you entered.

Calvin- Thrusts their little sticks around, as if they have a place to sheathe their swords.

Kalamazoo- That poise! Those masks and velvet liners! A stunning approach and masterful in class and appearance. This is how you make an entrance! I pray my fellow entertainers may continue their craft this year.

Hope- Enters with a new coach every year. Continue that tradition, won’t get old any time soon.

Olivet- Maybe the only category they could score more points than other teams if done right. Maybe take a page from Kzoo, and you’ll even beat Alma!

Unionsteels4
Team Affiliation: NA

Post by Unionsteels4 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:41 pm

Lots of Albion love in this post. I thought we left the brash chest puffing claims to Calvin only?

Do like the times predictions though. Only ones slower than last year would be the 100 bk and 4im if you're right! Conference is definitely getting faster

Peruvian Puff Pepper

Post by Peruvian Puff Pepper » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:46 am

Arthenaal wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:01 pm

200 Fly- Three to four way battle in the 2 Fly. I think Huidobro and Iturbe are favorites depending on if Julian swims it. Drew Fogel was fast last year and Albion has a new flyer in Nate Cobb. However, Calvin still has Goins and has Gelderloos. Winner- 1:49.7-1:50.
I see that the defending conference champ wasn't even mentioned? In season, he may be slower than a turtle taking a dump but he definitely surprised everyone there in 2019. Not gonna say he's a favorite to win, but he at least deserved being mentioned.
Last edited by Peruvian Puff Pepper on Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.