Andrew Wilson Wins USA Nats 100 breaststroke

So maybe what you want to say (about swimming) doesn't quite fit into one of our other categories. This is the place for you.

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, Nasty Natti

Paiz
Team Affiliation: Kenyon

Andrew Wilson Wins USA Nats 100 breaststroke

Post by Paiz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:07 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So freaking excited for this kid.

http://www.omegatiming.com/File/Downloa ... FFFFFFFF02

imJumbo
Team Affiliation: Tufts University

Re: Andrew Wilson Wins USA Nats 100 breaststroke

Post by imJumbo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:21 pm

Yea this is insane. My friends and I were saying half jokingly that he could make the Olympic team. Now, I'm not sure it's such a joke. Just incredible!

[ Post made via iPad ]

Schiller
Team Affiliation: Carleton

Post by Schiller » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:01 pm

imJumbo wrote:Yea this is insane. My friends and I were saying half jokingly that he could make the Olympic team. Now, I'm not sure it's such a joke. Just incredible!
His best 100 breast LCM is 59.65. Kevin Cordes' best time is 59.70. He's not a long shot for the Olympic team. He's a top tier contender. His times at NCAA's were really, really fast. This time is better.

facenorth

Post by facenorth » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:52 am

Congrats to Andrew. I was with a couple other d3 coaches yesterday and we were all talking about this after prelims. This is great for our entire community. He certainly is a guy that will have d3 nation behind him heading into trials.

I don't know him or anything about him but one question that was asked yesterday was whether or not any consideration to a gap year has been given? Does anyone know? At this point he could swim straight through NCAA's and walk away as a repeat winner so it may not matter.

Schiller
Team Affiliation: Carleton

Post by Schiller » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:27 pm

facenorth wrote: I don't know him or anything about him but one question that was asked yesterday was whether or not any consideration to a gap year has been given? Does anyone know? At this point he could swim straight through NCAA's and walk away as a repeat winner so it may not matter.
He's thinking about taking a year off, but hasn't decided yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqvpaUy91VQ

screeeeeeeeech

Post by screeeeeeeeech » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:30 pm

WOO Screeeeeeeech is back! Huzzah!

I have to say it: Andrew Wilson's swim totally eclipses anything that Bourne, MCB, Read Boon, D. Mulvihill, or any other D3 legend ever accomplished. Wilson is now an Olympic contender. He's the D3 G.O.A.T. And frankly, he has the chance to be an all-timer if he keeps making huge drops like he just did at Nationals.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Screeeeeeeeech OUT. (mic drop)
Adjusting expectations: so close to 500 posts!

sbswim
Team Affiliation: MIT

Post by sbswim » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:06 pm

another D3 swimmer with a big swim... 22.2 from Ubellacker to place 5th in prelims in the 50

Diesel471
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Post by Diesel471 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Wilson 2:09.84 in the 200 Breast... Only dude under 2:10 in the morning.

DonCheadle
Gold Sponsor

Post by DonCheadle » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:57 pm

screeeeeeeeech wrote:WOO Screeeeeeeech is back! Huzzah!

I have to say it: Andrew Wilson's swim totally eclipses anything that Bourne, MCB, Read Boon, D. Mulvihill, or any other D3 legend ever accomplished. Wilson is now an Olympic contender. He's the D3 G.O.A.T. And frankly, he has the chance to be an all-timer if he keeps making huge drops like he just did at Nationals.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Screeeeeeeeech OUT. (mic drop)
Well bourne did have a world record under his belt:(4 x 200 free relay SCM). And Rob Peele finaled at Trials. But yeah, I'll go ahead and agree with you. And I totally agree that this is better than his phenomenal short course results.
Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!

babwik

Post by babwik » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:08 pm

On the women's side Lindsey Payne finaled in 100 breast at Olympic Trials in 2008. Michelle Engelsman swam for Kenyon for a year. A few years later she made 2004 Olympics for Australia and finished 6th in the 50 free finals.

So 6th at Olympics is top international performance from a D3 swimmer (that I could find), though since she only swam d3 one year I'd understand objections. Wilson was true D3 level out of HS and his performance since is incredible. Based on early rosters it looks like he's taking a year off.

I would love to see him make the team!

Eaglefan
Team Affiliation: Emory

Post by Eaglefan » Sat May 21, 2016 12:53 pm

Great background on Andrew Wilson's run.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/o ... story.html

Emory fans are hugely vested in this and what it says about Jon Howell, but it's epic for all of D3 if he makes it.