masters nationals in atl

So maybe what you want to say (about swimming) doesn't quite fit into one of our other categories. This is the place for you.

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, Nasty Natti

screeeeeeeeech
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:17 pm

masters nationals in atl

Post by screeeeeeeeech » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:05 pm

I know this is a ways away, but is anyone going to swim at master's nationals in ATL in May? I know a few Emory guys will be there and I imagine some other D3 people will too. If so, we should get a bar crawl or something like that going.
PS if there are any attorneys on here that feel like giving a 1L some summer work (I will take anything) PM me.
Adjusting expectations: so close to 500 posts!

Colbybr
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:20 am
Contact:

Re: masters nationals in atl

Post by Colbybr » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Well since its at our pool, I suppose I will be there. Likely swimming the 50 and 100 breaststroke.
24.0 50 Free
1:04.4 100 Backstroke

User avatar
Mac of the MIAC
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:02 pm
Team Affiliation: Gustavus Adolphus, Liberal Arts College
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: masters nationals in atl

Post by Mac of the MIAC » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Do you two think your parents are going to be able to watch?
Faster than Torsten Seifert.

Colbybr
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:20 am
Contact:

Re: masters nationals in atl

Post by Colbybr » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:27 pm

Oh yeah my mom and dad will definitely be there. Do you think bringing a banner for just me is too much?
24.0 50 Free
1:04.4 100 Backstroke

Derek
Executive Team
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2002 5:33 am
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: masters nationals in atl

Post by Derek » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:06 pm

I'll be there for sure. I practice at GA Tech. It's a great pool (obviously) and the meet is going to be a lot of fun. I happen to know quite a bit about bars in Atlanta and am definitely down for a bar crawl.

Colby, you live in ATL too?

PioneerSwimming
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:10 pm
Team Affiliation: Emory
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: masters nationals in atl

Post by PioneerSwimming » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:01 am

I'm trying to get some fellow Emory alumni from the early-mid 90's to be a part of the meet, and to have them pass along the invite to others not on my list. Hopefully that list expands. Lots of alumni still in the ATL. Adding to the allure: it's the last meet in which the speedskins can be worn legally. Kenyon Alumni did a similar thing a few years back when Masters Nationals was in Ohio.

Colbybr
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:20 am
Contact:

Re: masters nationals in atl

Post by Colbybr » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:48 pm

Hell yeah I live in Atlanta! I'm one of the coaches at Georgia Tech. Do you swim with the Rainbow Trout?

I live just across the interstate in Midtown.
24.0 50 Free
1:04.4 100 Backstroke

User avatar
Mac of the MIAC
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:02 pm
Team Affiliation: Gustavus Adolphus, Liberal Arts College
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: masters nationals in atl

Post by Mac of the MIAC » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:01 pm

Colbybr wrote:Do you swim with the Rainbow Trout?
Is this code for something weird that I don't know about?
Faster than Torsten Seifert.

PioneerSwimming
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:10 pm
Team Affiliation: Emory
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: masters nationals in atl

Post by PioneerSwimming » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:28 pm

I don't swim much anymore, so it will be interesting to see if I do decide to go to nationals. I mostly train for marathons and Ironman races. I did swim Master's nationals in Coral Springs a few years ago, 1:51 and 4:58 in the freestyles. Not bad for a 34 year-old (then).

plutus
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:03 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: masters nationals in atl

Post by plutus » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:01 am

PioneerSwimming wrote:I don't swim much anymore, so it will be interesting to see if I do decide to go to nationals. I mostly train for marathons and Ironman races.
Yeah, I don't swim much anymore either. I only train for trans-atlantic swims, followed by the tour de france, and then I finish off with a scaling of the Matterhorn.
Some say a cucumber tastes better pickled.

Colbybr
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:20 am
Contact:

Re: masters nationals in atl

Post by Colbybr » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:48 am

Mac of the MIAC wrote:
Colbybr wrote:Do you swim with the Rainbow Trout?
Is this code for something weird that I don't know about?
Rainbow Trout is the master's team that practices at Georgia Tech:

http://www.atlantarainbowtrout.com/
24.0 50 Free
1:04.4 100 Backstroke

RhymeAndReason
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:01 pm
Team Affiliation: Wheaton College (IL)
Location: Durham, NC

Re: masters nationals in atl

Post by RhymeAndReason » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:17 am

Note to everyone - Marathons and Ironman's aren't hard to finish. Racing them is hard, yes, (and from what I know Pioneer does race them), but just finishing? Cake compared to swimming say, a 1650 all out. And Pioneer has some experience doing that too. : p
2006 Fantasy League Champion (man, that was a while ago!)

DonCheadle
Gold Sponsor
Posts: 3856
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:00 am
Location: Hollywood, CA

Re: masters nationals in atl

Post by DonCheadle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:28 am

RhymeAndReason wrote:Note to everyone - Marathons and Ironman's aren't hard to finish. Racing them is hard, yes, (and from what I know Pioneer does race them), but just finishing? Cake compared to swimming say, a 1650 all out. And Pioneer has some experience doing that too. : p
I agree 100% (and) I am surprised with the number of people who do the sport (Triathlon) who have the goal of finishing with no regard to time.

Personally I'll never do an iron or half iron. But I'll do an Olympic in less than 2:00 (we'll see)...
Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!

User avatar
Mac of the MIAC
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:02 pm
Team Affiliation: Gustavus Adolphus, Liberal Arts College
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: masters nationals in atl

Post by Mac of the MIAC » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Colbybr wrote:
Mac of the MIAC wrote:
Colbybr wrote:Do you swim with the Rainbow Trout?
Is this code for something weird that I don't know about?
Rainbow Trout is the master's team that practices at Georgia Tech:

http://www.atlantarainbowtrout.com/
Clicking on that link will most likely give my computer AIDS. No thanks.
Faster than Torsten Seifert.

RhymeAndReason
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:01 pm
Team Affiliation: Wheaton College (IL)
Location: Durham, NC

Re: masters nationals in atl

Post by RhymeAndReason » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:30 pm

DonCheadle wrote:
RhymeAndReason wrote:Note to everyone - Marathons and Ironman's aren't hard to finish. Racing them is hard, yes, (and from what I know Pioneer does race them), but just finishing? Cake compared to swimming say, a 1650 all out. And Pioneer has some experience doing that too. : p
I agree 100% (and) I am surprised with the number of people who do the sport (Triathlon) who have the goal of finishing with no regard to time.

Personally I'll never do an iron or half iron. But I'll do an Olympic in less than 2:00 (we'll see)...
Have you done an Olympic before? 2 hours is tough to break on a legit course, especially for old swimmers who usually struggle to break 40min for the 10k. : p
2006 Fantasy League Champion (man, that was a while ago!)

Post Reply