Richard Quick

So maybe what you want to say (about swimming) doesn't quite fit into one of our other categories. This is the place for you.

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, Nasty Natti

wonderboy33

Richard Quick

Post by wonderboy33 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:58 pm

Things went downhill for him after Tupac died.

chrismyhre

Re: Richard Quick

Post by chrismyhre » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:22 pm

I consider myself blessed that I had the chance to meet Coach Quick. We host a Speedo coaches clinic each September and he has been one of the guest speakers on multiple occasions. His most recent visit to our campus was at this last clinic just this past September. He gave an outstanding presentation in the lecture hall, but where he absolutely shown the brightest was on the pool deck. I remain in awe of his energy and his passion as I stood not more than 10 feet from him. We had dinner together that night, along with Job Urbanchek, Guy Edson, and Dick Hannula. He was sharp and funny and we had a wonderful evening. And now, just nine months later he is gone. I am sad but I also celebrate just what this man did for our sport, and the influence he had on my world. I will miss Richard Quick.

Vic
Executive Team
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo

Post by Vic » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:20 am

This is really sad. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to work at his swim camp a few summers ago and really enjoyed the experience. What really made him special was his ability as a motivator. He was an incredible speaker on the pool deck and it was inspiring just being around him. I really understood why he was such a great coach. He will be missed.

silentp
Executive Team
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Post by silentp » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:40 pm

My experience with Coach Quick: I went to the Stanford Swim Camp in high school. We were practicing turns and he was teaching us some new pointers to improve our pushoffs and overall speed of the turn. Anyway, I got to demonstrate and did a great turn. He did a little dance in front of everyone and was genuinely excited about it. Especially compared to the world class swimmers he usually coaches, some high school punk doing a turn correctly should have meant nothing, but after all those years, it still excited him to see young swimmers get it right. That passion made him one of the greats.

I echo everyone's thoughts that he will be missed.
Frank: Look, I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.
Dee: You went to Vietnam in 1993 to open up a sweatshop!
Frank: ...and a lot of good men died in that sweatshop!