Nike Pulls Out of Elite Swimwear Business

So maybe what you want to say (about swimming) doesn't quite fit into one of our other categories. This is the place for you.

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, Nasty Natti

Post Reply
User avatar
Vic
Executive Team
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:19 pm
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo
Location: Seattle

Nike Pulls Out of Elite Swimwear Business

Post by Vic » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:21 am

CNBC's Darren Rovell is reporting that Nike is pulling out of the elite swimwear business. Read the article here: http://www.cnbc.com/id/26827098

skutbe01
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 7:13 pm
Team Affiliation: Luther College

Re: Nike Pulls Out of Elite Swimwear Business

Post by skutbe01 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:16 pm

Mizuno has swimwear?
---------------------
Ben Skutnik
Luther College '08

Colbybr
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:20 am
Contact:

Re: Nike Pulls Out of Elite Swimwear Business

Post by Colbybr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:24 pm

I think Morgenstein overstates the effect of Nike pulling out. One of the primary motivators was the fact that a little company (blueseventy) developed a suit that was much better thank Nike's. Hopefully with more revenue this year blueseventy will be able to start sponsoring some athletes.
24.0 50 Free
1:04.4 100 Backstroke

User avatar
Vic
Executive Team
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:19 pm
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo
Location: Seattle

Re: Nike Pulls Out of Elite Swimwear Business

Post by Vic » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:59 pm

Colbybr wrote:I think Morgenstein overstates the effect of Nike pulling out. One of the primary motivators was the fact that a little company (blueseventy) developed a suit that was much better thank Nike's. Hopefully with more revenue this year blueseventy will be able to start sponsoring some athletes.
Yes, blueseventy will probably begin to sponsor some athletes, but like you say, they are a little company, and I can't see them being able to spend that much money on sponsorships. Nike obviously has very big pockets and has paid its swimmers a lot of money. Losing them is a big deal and there's no way that blueseventy can fill the void unless they become a much bigger company. If Arena or Diana decided to focus more on the North American market, that would help things.

skutbe01
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 7:13 pm
Team Affiliation: Luther College

Re: Nike Pulls Out of Elite Swimwear Business

Post by skutbe01 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:17 pm

Vic wrote:Yes, blueseventy will probably begin to sponsor some athletes, but like you say, they are a little company, and I can't see them being able to spend that much money on sponsorships. Nike obviously has very big pockets and has paid its swimmers a lot of money. Losing them is a big deal and there's no way that blueseventy can fill the void unless they become a much bigger company. If Arena or Diana decided to focus more on the North American market, that would help things.
Judging by the fact that Gary Hall, Jr. wore a LZR this last season I would say that Arena is starting to fade as well.
---------------------
Ben Skutnik
Luther College '08

User avatar
The Treat
Moderator
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:28 pm
Team Affiliation: Washington University in St. Louis
Location: Dunder-Mifflin Scranton Branch

Re: Nike Pulls Out of Elite Swimwear Business

Post by The Treat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:25 pm

This also means that Kenyon can switch to Speedo.
Jim Halpert: One day Michael came in, complaining about a speed bump, on the highway... I wonder who he ran over then.

User avatar
Chris Knight
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 1:20 pm
Team Affiliation: W&L
Location: Pacific Tech
Contact:

Re: Nike Pulls Out of Elite Swimwear Business

Post by Chris Knight » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:51 pm

skutbe01 wrote:Judging by the fact that Gary Hall, Jr. wore a LZR this last season I would say that Arena is starting to fade as well.
He had a Speedo contract for the past year, maybe 2.
Declaring myself the 2010 d3swimming.com fantasy nationals champion until 99red says otherwise

skutbe01
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 7:13 pm
Team Affiliation: Luther College

Re: Nike Pulls Out of Elite Swimwear Business

Post by skutbe01 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:15 am

Chris Knight wrote:
skutbe01 wrote:Judging by the fact that Gary Hall, Jr. wore a LZR this last season I would say that Arena is starting to fade as well.
He had a Speedo contract for the past year, maybe 2.
That is what I was getting at...this last season.
---------------------
Ben Skutnik
Luther College '08

Post Reply