Five relay wins by same team

What do you predict for nationals? Who is going to shine, who is not?

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, Nasty Natti

swimd3fan
Team Affiliation: JHU

Five relay wins by same team

Post by swimd3fan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:33 pm

It's possible that the Hopkins women could win all 5 relays this year at the Championship meet. If they do, has that ever been done by another team, men or women, before? Just wondered how unusual it was.

[ Post made via iPad ]

sbswim
Team Affiliation: MIT

Re: Five relay wins by same team

Post by sbswim » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:41 pm

I am fairly certain the Kenyon men did this more than a few times over the last 15 years. Almost (or maybe more surprising) is the fact that this could be the first year since I can remember the neither Den or Kenyon won a male relay.

Paiz
Team Affiliation: Kenyon

Post by Paiz » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:00 pm

What could also be pretty interesting is that - if you look at the past few years - the average relay placing is usually also where a championship team finishes. Just food for thought. Multiply Kitayama, Rinsma, Brown and Ternes by two... Give 'em a solid breaststroker or two... Could they have taken down Emory?

silentp
Executive Team
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Post by silentp » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:57 pm

Paiz wrote: Just food for thought. Multiply Kitayama, Rinsma, Brown and Ternes by two... Give 'em a solid breaststroker or two... Could they have taken down Emory?
Also, give Cal's freshman class to Kalamazoo and they go from having 1 swimmer to being a top 5 team.

[ Post made via iPad ]
Frank: Look, I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.
Dee: You went to Vietnam in 1993 to open up a sweatshop!
Frank: ...and a lot of good men died in that sweatshop!

a dude
Team Affiliation: DePauw and Kenyon

Post by a dude » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:20 pm

Paiz wrote:What could also be pretty interesting is that - if you look at the past few years - the average relay placing is usually also where a championship team finishes. Just food for thought. Multiply Kitayama, Rinsma, Brown and Ternes by two... Give 'em a solid breaststroker or two... Could they have taken down Emory?
No, probably not. They already won the relays, not much room for more points there. They scored 387 points, minus 200 points for the five relay wins and that is 187 points in individual events. If we clone all of their individual point scorers and they score another 187 points, that's still only 574 points, not enough to beat Emory. Whenever cloning technology comes into prominence, I imagine the NCAA will regulate its use and we won't have teams composed of cloned swimmers competing against each other.

Paiz
Team Affiliation: Kenyon

Post by Paiz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:54 pm

a dude wrote:
No, probably not. They already won the relays, not much room for more points there. They scored 387 points, minus 200 points for the five relay wins and that is 187 points in individual events. If we clone all of their individual point scorers and they score another 187 points, that's still only 574 points, not enough to beat Emory. Whenever cloning technology comes into prominence, I imagine the NCAA will regulate its use and we won't have teams composed of cloned swimmers competing against each other.
I realize you're not being serious, but I did laugh at the idea of a relay composed all of Bogdanovskis. Or Kitayamas. Or an 200 freelay featuring all Turk clones.

a dude

Post by a dude » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:33 pm

Paiz wrote:
a dude wrote:
I realize you're not being serious, but I did laugh at the idea of a relay composed all of Bogdanovskis. Or Kitayamas. Or an 200 freelay featuring all Turk clones.
Probably won't get to that point, but I wonder when there are clones of people whether they'll try to slip them in for morning relays, get a little bit of rest for the original.

Actually clones would be awesome, you'd be able to give each team a clone to train and finally be able to settle arguments about which programs are the best at developing swimmers...

Back on topic, JHU's relays were really impressive on the women's side. But, imagine what the Kenyon men would have done in a 4x400 IM relay, or what Emory women would have done with a 4x200 breaststroke relay. Sprinters get all the recognition since they swim more events (and I will reluctantly admit, the events that are more consistently exciting), but the two winning teams won in the longer events and had VERY good squads there.

Here's a fun question: What D3 team would have the best 4x(whatever event) relay ever?

I think Emory women have to be close with their 4x200 breaststroke, but another one that comes to mind was the 200 Butterfly in 2009 when Kenyon went 1-2-2, not sure if they had a 4th that year, though.

Or would it just be one of the Kenyon men's sprint relays from 2012?

N Dynamite

Post by N Dynamite » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:46 pm

a dude wrote:Here's a fun question: What D3 team would have the best 4x(whatever event) relay ever?
Denison backstroke from 2011? If I recall correctly didn't they have two guys go under the previous record at some point that season as well as a couple others in the top 8 at NCAAs?
You have Pedro's protection. Vote for Pedro.

a dude

Post by a dude » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:13 am

N Dynamite wrote:
a dude wrote:Here's a fun question: What D3 team would have the best 4x(whatever event) relay ever?
Denison backstroke from 2011? If I recall correctly didn't they have two guys go under the previous record at some point that season as well as a couple others in the top 8 at NCAAs?
I think we'd have to look at results from a single meet, it gets way too complicated if you start adding in bests over an entire season.

I went and looked at the results because I thought that was a pretty good group, and they weren't as strong there in 2011 as I thought. They were 1-5-7-11 and Barry didn't break the record at that meet. 200 Back would have been better for them, with a 1-2-8-11.

In 2012 they were 1-3-4-5 with Barry breaking the record from the year before by almost half a second.

That Kenyon sprint group in 2012 went 1-2-3-5 in the 100 freestyle, with Turk breaking the record by nearly half a second and Somers just .2 off.

I'd say that 400 free relay gets the slight edge with the slighly better placing and second swimmer closer to the record.

Has there been a 1-2-3-4 placing by a team? Maybe a Kenyon team back in the 80s or 90s?

N Dynamite

Post by N Dynamite » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Couldn't remember the year for Denison's backstroke group. I thought Somers' time leading off the 400 relay at NCAAs that year would have been under the old record as well - I think Turk and Somers own the top two times in the history of the event and they're both from that meet.
You have Pedro's protection. Vote for Pedro.

NCACDork

Post by NCACDork » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:45 pm

a dude wrote:
N Dynamite wrote:
I think we'd have to look at results from a single meet, it gets way too complicated if you start adding in bests over an entire season.

I went and looked at the results because I thought that was a pretty good group, and they weren't as strong there in 2011 as I thought. They were 1-5-7-11 and Barry didn't break the record at that meet. 200 Back would have been better for them, with a 1-2-8-11.

In 2012 they were 1-3-4-5 with Barry breaking the record from the year before by almost half a second.

That Kenyon sprint group in 2012 went 1-2-3-5 in the 100 freestyle, with Turk breaking the record by nearly half a second and Somers just .2 off.

I'd say that 400 free relay gets the slight edge with the slighly better placing and second swimmer closer to the record.

Has there been a 1-2-3-4 placing by a team? Maybe a Kenyon team back in the 80s or 90s?
I think Kenyon IM did 1-4 in the late 90s, but am not 100% sure.

DonCheadle
Gold Sponsor

Post by DonCheadle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:56 pm

I can end this discussion really quickly:

In 1998 Kenyon's 200 free relay didn't have a guy who finished lower than 2nd in the 50 on it. And yes, all 4 guys swam the 50.
Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!

a dude

Post by a dude » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:48 pm

DonCheadle wrote:I can end this discussion really quickly:

In 1998 Kenyon's 200 free relay didn't have a guy who finished lower than 2nd in the 50 on it. And yes, all 4 guys swam the 50.
That is pretty cool.

Did any of them break the 50 record that year? Was it a tie for first and a tie for second, or was it a three way tie for first or second?

DonCheadle
Gold Sponsor

Post by DonCheadle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:38 pm

If you think it over you realize the tie has to be 3 way for 2nd. The winner was Ken Heiss but I cannot remember if he missed or set the record by .02 but he was right at it either way.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!