Nats 2014

What do you predict for nationals? Who is going to shine, who is not?

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, Nasty Natti

Negrodamus
Executive Team
Team Affiliation: Kzoo

Re: Nats 2014

Post by Negrodamus » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:38 pm

silentp wrote:Kenyon keeping it classy.
This comment reminds me that we still need a 'like' button.
"White people like Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X."

mdswimparent
Team Affiliation: Johns Hopkins

Post by mdswimparent » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:46 am

What happened to the Denison fans? After the fire alarm was resolved, there were only a few who returned to cheer for their team during the awards ceremony.

mdswimparent

Post by mdswimparent » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:48 am

Prior to Ana Bogdanovski (JHU) has any swimmer earned 6 championships (and 1 second) in a single championship meet?

Paiz
Team Affiliation: Kenyon

Post by Paiz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:38 pm

I feel like someone from Williams must have...but I don't actually know for sure. It might be something special that Ana managed this year. She certainly had the drive and support necessary to achieve something historic like that!

polarbear
Team Affiliation: Bowdoin

Post by polarbear » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:17 pm

Paiz wrote:I feel like someone from Williams must have...but I don't actually know for sure. It might be something special that Ana managed this year. She certainly had the drive and support necessary to achieve something historic like that!
Lindsay Payne her senior year 2006? She won both BR (in still existing record time), the 200IM, 400 Medley Relay, and 400 Free Relay. Not sure how her other relays finished. She also won both BR and both Medley Relays in 2005 as well.

Looking back on their website, Elizabeth Jex won 7 events in 1983 -- 50 and 100 free and 100IM and 200, 400, and 800 Free Relays and 400 Medley. In 1982 she won the same grouping, substituting the 200 fly for the 800 relay. Her teammate Katherine Eckrich won 50, 100, and 200 BR and both medley relays in 1983 and somehow won 5 individuals (50, 100, 200 BR and 100 and 200IM) and the Medley Relays in 1982.

What about the female 200 freestyler form Kenyon around 1994, I don't remember her name?

D3Swim99

Post by D3Swim99 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:21 pm

silentp wrote:
D3Swim99 wrote:Time for Denison to get some more divers… Also, in recognition of those young men, I suggest that Denny DU re-brand themselves as the "Big Red Diving (and Swimming) Team".
Kenyon keeping it classy.

[ Post made via iPad ]
uuuuuh. Or a Denny DU Diver comin' in to save the other half of the team. :lol:

rasputin
Team Affiliation: N/A

Post by rasputin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:24 pm

mdswimparent wrote:What happened to the Denison fans? After the fire alarm was resolved, there were only a few who returned to cheer for their team during the awards ceremony.
Did a smoke detector go off, or did someone pull the alarm?

D3Swim99

Post by D3Swim99 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:19 pm

rasputin wrote:
mdswimparent wrote:What happened to the Denison fans? After the fire alarm was resolved, there were only a few who returned to cheer for their team during the awards ceremony.
Did a smoke detector go off, or did someone pull the alarm?
One has to ask, who would be so damned upset that they would pull a fire alarm? Nah, I can't believe it. After all, fire alarms must go off in swimming pools all the time right before they announce the national champions.

mdswimparent

Post by mdswimparent » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:34 pm

... and right before they announce the 2nd and 4th place teams ...

a dude
Team Affiliation: DePauw and Kenyon

Post by a dude » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:18 pm

I've been at several meets where fire alarms went off. It happens.

I think a more likely theory involves Russian KGB operatives pulling the fire alarm in retaliation for the vacating of Staten Island's titles. I hear Putin is a big D3 swimming fan.

Maybe Hannah Saiz did it so she could catch up on her article for swim swam before the final team celebrations?

Jim Steen was jealous of a new streak and had some of those rowdy Kenyon alumni do it for him?

D3Swim99

Post by D3Swim99 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:24 pm

a dude wrote:I've been at several meets where fire alarms went off. It happens.

I think a more likely theory involves Russian KGB operatives pulling the fire alarm in retaliation for the vacating of Staten Island's titles. I hear Putin is a big D3 swimming fan.

Maybe Hannah Saiz did it so she could catch up on her article for swim swam before the final team celebrations?

Jim Steen was jealous of a new streak and had some of those rowdy Kenyon alumni do it for him?
Ain't it the truth brother. There are just countless reasons that alarm could have gone off at that very moment. Only one is plausible and makes any sense though. As you say, it had to have had something to do with Coach Steen's failful. *whoever you are, that was very funny*

VP2008

Post by VP2008 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:11 am

What is Steen up to these days? I thought I heard he was still going to be involved in Kenyon's administration. Or is he enjoying retirement (as much as one can in Ohio...)?
Shoot from the hip, ask questions later.

Massa
Team Affiliation: Denison

Post by Massa » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:03 pm

Hey D3Swim99…Just a few thoughts.

1) You need to get over that diving is included with swimming. It is the same sport according to the NCAA and that is final. For whatever reason, whether it is financial or other, they are both part of the final score. So by you saying that Denison relies too heavily on diving, couldn't the same argument be made that Kenyon relies too heavily on the 400 IM? After all they are each an event and Kenyon scored 71pts in that event (which is more than Denison scored in 3m diving). So sure, lets just arbitrarily decide that some events matter more than others. Too bad you can't do that, but its kind of sad that you keep on trying. Also, even if you took out diving, Denison's men still finish 2nd in swimming (the same place they were with it).

2) I guess we ought to start calling Kenyon 'transfer university.' The best swimmers they have (Curley and Caldwell) are both transfer students from big time Division I schools. Take away their impact individually and on relays- Kenyon most likely finishes third.

3) Kenyon takes what could be a good rivalry and fills it with animosity. The two schools are both great academically and athletically, and yet Kenyon does not offer the slightest respect to Denison. You would think Kenyon might have been humbled after losing two consecutive titles, but their arrogant counting continues. Look to any good NFL rivaly- Tom Brady and Peyton Manning for instance. They are competitive as it gets and each has the same desire to win, but they respect each other. Although it is clear that some Kenyon swimmers and Alumni respect Denison student/Alumni and what they do, it is unfortunate that as a whole Kenyon swimmers embrace an attitude of disrespect. It was even rumored that during the conference meet this year, the Kenyon swimmers had devised a plan to mock the death of former Denison swimmer David Hallman. If Kenyon started respecting Denison more, this rivalry could be so much better and most likely both teams would thrive and benefit from it.

Brugers
Team Affiliation: Michigan

Post by Brugers » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:52 pm

Massa wrote:Hey D3Swim99…Just a few thoughts.

1) You need to get over that diving is included with swimming. It is the same sport according to the NCAA and that is final. For whatever reason, whether it is financial or other, they are both part of the final score. So by you saying that Denison relies too heavily on diving, couldn't the same argument be made that Kenyon relies too heavily on the 400 IM? After all they are each an event and Kenyon scored 71pts in that event (which is more than Denison scored in 3m diving). So sure, lets just arbitrarily decide that some events matter more than others. Too bad you can't do that, but its kind of sad that you keep on trying. Also, even if you took out diving, Denison's men still finish 2nd in swimming (the same place they were with it).

2) I guess we ought to start calling Kenyon 'transfer university.' The best swimmers they have (Curley and Caldwell) are both transfer students from big time Division I schools. Take away their impact individually and on relays- Kenyon most likely finishes third.

3) Kenyon takes what could be a good rivalry and fills it with animosity. The two schools are both great academically and athletically, and yet Kenyon does not offer the slightest respect to Denison. You would think Kenyon might have been humbled after losing two consecutive titles, but their arrogant counting continues. Look to any good NFL rivaly- Tom Brady and Peyton Manning for instance. They are competitive as it gets and each has the same desire to win, but they respect each other. Although it is clear that some Kenyon swimmers and Alumni respect Denison student/Alumni and what they do, it is unfortunate that as a whole Kenyon swimmers embrace an attitude of disrespect. It was even rumored that during the conference meet this year, the Kenyon swimmers had devised a plan to mock the death of former Denison swimmer David Hallman. If Kenyon started respecting Denison more, this rivalry could be so much better and most likely both teams would thrive and benefit from it.
Massa, as a Kenyon alum, your comments are childish, rude and frankly untrue. That comment about Kenyon students mocking a death is completely ridiculous, uncalled for, and incredibly insulting. How dare you bring something like that into this.

The count is a tradition. Nothing more, nothing less. I have no idea where you're getting this idea of the count being solely about disrespect for Denison, because it's not. You don't have to stay and watch. Sure it's arrogant. But you probably wouldn't think so if you won one of those 33 titles. Maybe the "lock it up" thing that Denison holds over their heads is arrogant, too. But again, you probably wouldn't think so if you swam for Denison.

I'm not sure who D3swim93 is but I am disappointed that they misrepresent Kenyon, especially in their opinion of diving. Diving is an integral part of our sport and won't be leaving anytime soon. Kenyon has a NCAA champion diver of their own. Do you really think most Kenyon swimmers wouldn't want to have her on the team?

Massa, You talk about Kenyon "disrespecting" Denison at every turn. But you're the one that's bringing that tragedy into this with completely outlandish claims. Calling Kenyon "transfer university". If you're looking for the source of animosity, you need only look in a mirror.

kenyon17

Post by kenyon17 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Massa wrote:Hey D3Swim99…Just a few thoughts.

2) Is this supposed to be an insult? Frankly, I think this speaks to what our school is and what we represent. Our transfer students have numerous options, and they chose ours.

3) You're actually a horrible person. You have the audacity of accusing our team like that? If you didn't come up with that yourself, I believe that does not bode well for the Denison men and women, because I think that kind of rumor would be worse than anything you tried to accuse us of. They only thing the Kenyon men and women did regarding David Hallman was send the team a sympathy card. Don't accuse us of being disrespectful when you're clearly trying to cloud our reputation THROUGH A MESSAGE BOARD.
Last edited by kenyon17 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.