Nats 2014

What do you predict for nationals? Who is going to shine, who is not?

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, Nasty Natti

silentp
Executive Team
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Re: Nats 2014

Post by silentp » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:33 pm

With the intense battle for 1st, it may be overlooked how awesome Hopkins is swimming (both men and women, especially women). Kudos to them.

[ Post made via iPad ]
Frank: Look, I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.
Dee: You went to Vietnam in 1993 to open up a sweatshop!
Frank: ...and a lot of good men died in that sweatshop!

swankyminnow
Team Affiliation: none

Post by swankyminnow » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:05 am

silentp wrote:With the intense battle for 1st, it may be overlooked how awesome Hopkins is swimming (both men and women, especially women). Kudos to them.
[ Post made via iPad ]
I'm glad somebody else said it. Possible Relay sweep for the Hopkins women's team? All they have left is the 400 free relay to win.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Paiz
Team Affiliation: Kenyon

Post by Paiz » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:54 am

If JHU's coach doesn't get Coach of the Year, there is no justice. These men and women have been swimming out of their minds. They were within 40 points of Emory after Day 2, which in and of itself is a pretty big accomplishment. Also, the highest finish in school history - according to the website - is 5th which they tied last year. So...dang.

Fun side note - Conn is also having a huge year. The men have taken down 19 of the school records so far with a shot at a 20th in the 200 back today. Fun stuff!

silentp
Executive Team

Post by silentp » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Chicago should also be recognized. They have historically been mocked on here (by myself and others) for their very fast dual meet swims and poor championship performances. That is not the case this year. They are swimming really well.

[ Post made via iPad ]
Frank: Look, I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.

Paiz

Post by Paiz » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:59 pm

There are lots of teams coming out of the woodwork at this meet. Conn has been doing well, Gustavus really is putting themselves out there. Wheaton has had multiple people make it back to individual finals. Chicago has been fast. The TCNJ relays have been SICK. Emory's men came up and at 'em.

To my eye, it's the big names that aren't really impressive this year. Williams hasn't been shining as much as it usually does. Emory hasn't won anything on the women's side. Sure, lots of bodies, but it's sheer numbers that's taking care of this meet for them, not shining stars. Kenyon hasn't exactly been on fire in the typical sense (at least in part because of all the freshmen on their team). Denison has been swimming under its power on both sides.

The sprints are so dead this year - no one under 20 in a 50 free, and 44-mid is the best 100?

Backstroke and breaststroke have been more alive, but it's more and more un-stacked finals, with one rep from a bunch of different teams across the A and B final.

YouKnowWhatItIs

Post by YouKnowWhatItIs » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:01 pm

Paiz wrote:If JHU's coach doesn't get Coach of the Year, there is no justice.
Have to agree, who are the candidates for swimmer of the year?? Best bet would be Hugh Anderson, but he doesn't have the relays or team to provide him with something other than individual swims.

Race of the meet in my eyes would be the 200 fly! WOW!!! Three guys under 1:46

Truthinswmng

Post by Truthinswmng » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Paiz wrote:There are lots of teams coming out of the woodwork at this meet. Conn has been doing well, Gustavus really is putting themselves out there. Wheaton has had multiple people make it back to individual finals. Chicago has been fast. The TCNJ relays have been SICK. Emory's men came up and at 'em.

To my eye, it's the big names that aren't really impressive this year. Williams hasn't been shining as much as it usually does. Emory hasn't won anything on the women's side. Sure, lots of bodies, but it's sheer numbers that's taking care of this meet for them, not shining stars. Kenyon hasn't exactly been on fire in the typical sense (at least in part because of all the freshmen on their team). Denison has been swimming under its power on both sides.

The sprints are so dead this year - no one under 20 in a 50 free, and 44-mid is the best 100?

Backstroke and breaststroke have been more alive, but it's more and more un-stacked finals, with one rep from a bunch of different teams across the A and B final.
Interesting. Thought this was a team sport. Not sure what the absence of "shining stars" has to do with anything. If the Emory women continue their dominance, without the so-called studs, isn't that a true testament to the strength and quality of the coaching and and program?

Paiz

Post by Paiz » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Truthinswmng wrote:
Interesting. Thought this was a team sport. Not sure what the absence of "shining stars" has to do with anything. If the Emory women continue their dominance, without the so-called studs, isn't that a true testament to the strength and quality of the coaching and and program?
Stars win dual meets. Depth wins championships. I'm just pointing out that (until tonight with Aronoff leading the way to a 1-2-3-6 finish in the women's 200 breaststroke), Emory had a marked absence of individual event winners. Little teams like Williams or JHU have to get on top of the world by winning everything. Emory doesn't have to because they have so many women who can swim decently fast that they can stack finals and stock up on points that way. Different meet strategies depending on an individual team's strengths.

deethreeswim
Team Affiliation: OWU

Post by deethreeswim » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Just want to confirm.... is it OK in college swimming in Breastroke for the elbows to recover over the water on each stroke cycle?

[ Post made via Android ]

Paiz

Post by Paiz » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:05 pm

I think as long as it's the "force of the stroke" and not a deliberate attempt to bring the elbows up it's fine. Don't quote me on that one though, because I am SOOOO not a breaststroker.

Paiz

Post by Paiz » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Kenyon wins by 8. JHU has the school's top finish. Dang good meet and a close race the whole way.

Cali-man

Post by Cali-man » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:23 pm

Paiz wrote:There are lots of teams coming out of the woodwork at this meet.
Hats off to the Gettysburg Bullets sprint boys. Those relay squads will definitely be in the hunt for a win next year.

silentp
Executive Team

Post by silentp » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:01 pm

Paiz wrote:There are lots of teams coming out of the woodwork at this meet. Conn has been doing well, Gustavus really is putting themselves out there. Wheaton has had multiple people make it back to individual finals. Chicago has been fast. The TCNJ relays have been SICK. Emory's men came up and at 'em.
+1 to this. So true. Good for D3 too.

[ Post made via iPad ]

D3Swim99

Post by D3Swim99 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:05 pm

Time for Denison to get some more divers… Also, in recognition of those young men, I suggest that Denny DU re-brand themselves as the "Big Red Diving (and Swimming) Team".

silentp
Executive Team

Post by silentp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:22 pm

D3Swim99 wrote:Time for Denison to get some more divers… Also, in recognition of those young men, I suggest that Denny DU re-brand themselves as the "Big Red Diving (and Swimming) Team".
Kenyon keeping it classy.

[ Post made via iPad ]