Devon Davis

What do you predict for nationals? Who is going to shine, who is not?

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, Nasty Natti

pbrfriday
Team Affiliation: Gettysburg College

Devon Davis

Post by pbrfriday » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:28 am

Just cruising some of the rosters in the Centenial Conferece (PA/MD small colleges). Saw Swarthmore College picked up Devon Davis out of Colorado. FL: 49.79, BR: 57.82, BK: 52.70. Obviously this guy could've gone D-1, so huge pick up for Swarthmore, the Centenial Conference, and D3 Swimming in general. Wonder if Swat can threaten Gettysburg (14th @ NCAAS) for the conference crown, though Gburg looks to have added another solid freshman class of freestylers, building off of last year's haul. Definitly looking forward to Davis v. Jason Adams (Dickinson, 49.07 100 Fly). Anyone have anything else on Davis? Sure seems like the real deal.

Cali-man

Re: Devon Davis

Post by Cali-man » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Takes more than a one hit wonder to win that Conference. Swat really doesn't have anyone who can train with Devon Davis, and he won't have any help on relays. Gettysburg should certainly hold strong for the title this year with Gould replacing Libby.

That being said, this could certainly shift the 2nd, 3rd and 4th places around in the Conference, where there have been dramatic changes over the last 6-8 years for those who have been keeping track.

The Conference is certainly getting faster though!

swimguy
Team Affiliation: Ursinus

Post by swimguy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Looks like he's no longer on the team. He's not on their roster, and I didn't see him pop up in the Mcdaniel results. Big loss for those guys.

pbrfriday

Post by pbrfriday » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:43 pm

Yeah, that is really strange. I did a little more digging, what I think happened is he has gone early decision to attend Swat NEXT year. Everything I've read on him states that he was a junior in HS last year. On Davis' Collegeswimming.com profile, it lists him as "class of 2013" with Swarthmore college under the committment section, which has a date of October 10th, 2012. Maybe the Swat coaches got a little excited (understandably so) about his committment and listed him on the roster? Would love to hear the full story.

watercows
Team Affiliation: Williams

Post by watercows » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:15 pm

pbrfriday wrote:Yeah, that is really strange. I did a little more digging, what I think happened is he has gone early decision to attend Swat NEXT year. Everything I've read on him states that he was a junior in HS last year. On Davis' Collegeswimming.com profile, it lists him as "class of 2013" with Swarthmore college under the committment section, which has a date of October 10th, 2012. Maybe the Swat coaches got a little excited (understandably so) about his committment and listed him on the roster? Would love to hear the full story.
I hope someone will be able to confirm his status, especially as he would be a huge pick-up for Swat. If he is, in fact, a current HS senior and has applied ED to Swarthmore, however, I assume he understands that while he can "commit" to Swarthmore (by applying ED), until he is actually accepted Swarthmore hasn't "committed" to him, at least in any official, formal way.

mdswimparent
Team Affiliation: Johns Hopkins

Post by mdswimparent » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:28 pm

According to the swims data base, he swam in a club meet a couple of weeks ago (2012 CO CSST Gian-Luc Jordan Meet). He was listed as being 17. It seems he is still in high school.

pbrfriday

Post by pbrfriday » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:32 am

watercows wrote:
pbrfriday wrote:Yeah, that is really strange. I did a little more digging, what I think happened is he has gone early decision to attend Swat NEXT year. Everything I've read on him states that he was a junior in HS last year. On Davis' Collegeswimming.com profile, it lists him as "class of 2013" with Swarthmore college under the committment section, which has a date of October 10th, 2012. Maybe the Swat coaches got a little excited (understandably so) about his committment and listed him on the roster? Would love to hear the full story.
I hope someone will be able to confirm his status, especially as he would be a huge pick-up for Swat. If he is, in fact, a current HS senior and has applied ED to Swarthmore, however, I assume he understands that while he can "commit" to Swarthmore (by applying ED), until he is actually accepted Swarthmore hasn't "committed" to him, at least in any official, formal way.
Yes very true, thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't be surprised if D1 programs don't try and scoop him up. From what I understand, ED students can back out of their ED committment for "financial reasons," or something of that nature. Maybe a full ride from a big swim program could provide those reasons. Who knows, Swat is a top tier liberal arts school so maybe he's set on it.