Williams / AMherst

What do you predict for nationals? Who is going to shine, who is not?

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, Nasty Natti

DonCheadle
Gold Sponsor

Williams / AMherst

Post by DonCheadle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:35 pm

They both have really sick classes coming in (check out the NESCAC Forum). ANy news on Emory? My understanding is Denison's class is a little weaker than recent vintages as is Kenyon's.

Kzoo got a really solid class, but after seeing what WIlliams and Amherst brought in, my, it doesn't remotely stack up.
Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!

silentp
Executive Team
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Re: Williams / AMherst

Post by silentp » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:43 pm

DonCheadle wrote:They both have really sick classes coming in (check out the NESCAC Forum). ANy news on Emory? My understanding is Denison's class is a little weaker than recent vintages as is Kenyon's. .
This rumor is false. Denison got a really great class that is right in the realm with recent Kenyon and Denison classes.

[ Post made via iPad ]
Frank: Look, I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.
Dee: You went to Vietnam in 1993 to open up a sweatshop!
Frank: ...and a lot of good men died in that sweatshop!

screeeeeeeeech

Post by screeeeeeeeech » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:31 pm

No idea about Emory guys, but I know that Emory girls got another disgustingly fast class. I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with...
Adjusting expectations: so close to 500 posts!

andrewpierson
Team Affiliation: MIT

Post by andrewpierson » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:31 pm

MIT

Ben Bauchwitz - 20.4 (relay) 45.7, 1:40.5, BR - 58.1, 2:08, Fly 51.6, 1:53.7, IM 1:54.2
Spencer Boone - BK 52.7, 1:55.0 Fly 51.4
Brendon Chiu - 20.9, 46.2
Michael Everett - 22.3, 47.7, 1:45.7
Austin Fathman - 21.3, 46.7
Thomas Finn - 1:45, 4:37, 16:24 BK - 1:54
Austin Gromatzky - 47.6 , 1:44.0
Stephen Mcmurtry - 1:46, Fly 1:55
Josh Vagts - BK 52, 152
Brian Xiao - 4:46, Fly - 51.7, 1:53.5

sagehen1
Team Affiliation: Pomona

Re: Williams / Amherst

Post by sagehen1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:15 am

Is that for real? That's a ridiculous class.

imJumbo
Team Affiliation: Tufts University

Post by imJumbo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:37 pm

MIT's class is sort of how I expected it would be. Ever since they opened their new facility a few years ago, every class has been better than the class before it. And this is no exception. I have no doubt that due to the facility change, MIT will challenge for the championship win in a few years. They have the best chance to get fast kids of any D3 school in the country for swimming (especially if they want to be engineers or science majors) because of the school. It was only a matter of time before MIT got great. It's also located in Boston, so if a kid is going to choose between a middle of nowhere school and a Boston school, oftentimes they will choose Boston.

This is going to sound biased (it is), but I think that this is the real reason that Tufts is now falling behind MIT (who they used to beat fairly consistently), WIlliams, and Amherst. The school names pull kids away, but Tufts' pool is holding it back. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tufts team goes through a similar MIT-like transformation not long after the new pool opens (which will be any year now...)

DonCheadle
Gold Sponsor

Post by DonCheadle » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:17 pm

imJumbo wrote:MIT's class is sort of how I expected it would be. Ever since they opened their new facility a few years ago, every class has been better than the class before it. And this is no exception. I have no doubt that due to the facility change, MIT will challenge for the championship win in a few years. They have the best chance to get fast kids of any D3 school in the country for swimming (especially if they want to be engineers or science majors) because of the school. It was only a matter of time before MIT got great. It's also located in Boston, so if a kid is going to choose between a middle of nowhere school and a Boston school, oftentimes they will choose Boston.

This is going to sound biased (it is), but I think that this is the real reason that Tufts is now falling behind MIT (who they used to beat fairly consistently), WIlliams, and Amherst. The school names pull kids away, but Tufts' pool is holding it back. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tufts team goes through a similar MIT-like transformation not long after the new pool opens (which will be any year now...)
Your conclusion is possible, and schools certainly sell it that way to alumni donors, by I really don't know how much the pool and facilities play into the decision as much as we think. Emory had an awesome facility for years, but they did nothing with it. Howell turned the progam around. Kenyon's recruiting has actually goine down since the pool has opened (NOT BECAUSE of the pool). Would you rather have someone endow the swim program with $20M and hire David Durden at $1M per year or build a $20M facility?
Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!

sbswim
Team Affiliation: MIT

Post by sbswim » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:30 pm

I agree that facilities, location, and school help tremendously and are maybe even necessary, but that the staff and team atmosphere/mentality is what really makes the difference for recruiting

Chris Knight
Team Affiliation: W&L

Post by Chris Knight » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:03 pm

I think for most, maybe not all, that they choose the school and hope for the best with the team. This isn't DI football, where you pick a coach and follow them wherever: If you love the swim team but hate the school, you're going to regret going there. Maybe the top 1 to 5% of recruits are choosing based primarily on swimming (coaching, facility, history, current team members), but I really think it's a very small figure.
Declaring myself the 2010 d3swimming.com fantasy nationals champion until 99red says otherwise

silentp
Executive Team
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Post by silentp » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:39 am

Chris Knight wrote:I think for most, maybe not all, that they choose the school and hope for the best with the team. This isn't DI football, where you pick a coach and follow them wherever: If you love the swim team but hate the school, you're going to regret going there. Maybe the top 1 to 5% of recruits are choosing based primarily on swimming (coaching, facility, history, current team members), but I really think it's a very small figure.
I didn't do a very good job searching for schools so those that recruited me were the ones I looked at the most. This may not be common, but I think a lot of kids who are the first to go to college don't cast as wide of a net as they should in looking. In this way, someone like myself may start off looking at the school because of the team, but I doubt many pick the school based primarily on the team.

Also, in the case of MIT, even more so than Amherst and Williams, the name is huge. With movies like 21 and Good Will Hunting, plus just common knowledge (but that would apply to Amherst and Williams) you'd have to live under a rock not to have heard of MIT. There aren't many schools like this in D3. NYU is another, but the list is short. When a kid gets a recruiting letter from MIT, he returns it. If the coach can get help to get a kid in (not saying they aren't really smart), that kid has a good chance of going there.
Frank: Look, I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.
Dee: You went to Vietnam in 1993 to open up a sweatshop!
Frank: ...and a lot of good men died in that sweatshop!