Men's Invited Swimmers as of 3/1/10

What do you predict for nationals? Who is going to shine, who is not?

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, Nasty Natti

My Spoon's Too Big!

Re: Men's Invited Swimmers as of 3/1/10

Post by My Spoon's Too Big! » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:40 pm

adamcohen79 wrote:The way the NCAA does it is it seeds all the individual swimmers first until the cap is reached. Then it brings up all the relay swimmers until the cap is reached or adding one more relay sends it over the cap. If that happens then the last spot is given to the individual and another individual makes the meet.
I just wonder what happens when the extra individual spot that opens up because of the relay-only cap overage ends up being for a swimmer who already qualified as a relay-only swimmer. Do they just invite the next guy after him? In this case, it would be Beckwith in the 100 back according to my list (which again, is most likely a fallible one).
I want to be able to look in the mirror and be integrity with myself.

sagehen1
Team Affiliation: Pomona

Post by sagehen1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:47 pm

One question too - Pai from CMS is 19th in the IM and it looks like he's out by one spot, but his teammate Weber, who is 8th in the 2 IM, can make the meet through his 16th ranked 2 free instead - if he doesn't swim the 2 IM at nationals would Pai move up to 18 and get in the meet? Again not sure he swims because he's injured so this may be moot.

My Spoon's Too Big!

Post by My Spoon's Too Big! » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:03 pm

sagehen1 wrote:One question too - Pai from CMS is 19th in the IM and it looks like he's out by one spot, but his teammate Weber, who is 8th in the 2 IM, can make the meet through his 16th ranked 2 free instead - if he doesn't swim the 2 IM at nationals would Pai move up to 18 and get in the meet? Again not sure he swims because he's injured so this may be moot.
I'm not sure they'd want to take Weber out of the 200 IM. For what they'd be getting out of Pai in that event, it just wouldn't be worth it.

facenorth

Post by facenorth » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Getting Pai to the meet is more important to the team if he's healthy. You're talking about a guy that could win the 200 breaststroke if healthy. It's asking a lesser swimmer to not swim his best event at Nats though. That's tough.

sagehen1

Post by sagehen1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:17 am

That'll be interesting indeed. Also with so few teams being able to bring complete relays to the meet they could probably put together a solid 2/4 medley with Pai, they will probably not bring a butterflier to Nationals (at least one that swam butterfly at SCIACs) but they will have enough freestylers that I would think at least one of those could put together a decent fly leg.

screeeeeeeeech

Post by screeeeeeeeech » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:26 am

Sorry for being "behind the ball" here, but I'm glad the NCAA doesn't agree with you re: LCM times, Sagehen. Some schools only practice in short course meters pools, and kids that go abroad sometimes only have access to LCM/SCM pools. In fact, I'm pretty sure every year throughout my 4 years (04-08) there was someone from Coastguard that always made LCM cuts.
It's not unfair at all. Any swimmer could try this. Emory just did it on a lark, and it seems like it didn't work anyway.
Even if you make the meet from LCM, you still have to swim fast at NCAAs. What's the issue?
Adjusting expectations: so close to 500 posts!

swim5599

Post by swim5599 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Yeah I agree there are 3 different ways to get selected. I could care less how someone gets in. It is not as if the playing field is not level regarding this

nemesis enforcer

Post by nemesis enforcer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:03 pm

i am not sure how to feel. i agree partially w/ both sides.

on one hand, qualifying in SCM/LCM doesn't give the athlete in question an unfair advantage, and may be needed by teams that practice in such an environment like screeech was talking about.

but on the other hand if the athlete is a great SCM/LCM swimmer and so-so in SCY but the show is in SCY, he may swim like garbage, not affecting other swimmers at the meet, but what about those watching from home, the next guy in line, who may have at least been close, if not competitive?
Nemesis- It'll get ya'

screeeeeeeeech

Post by screeeeeeeeech » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:09 pm

Well, I'd say the kid sitting at home should get a wahburger, some french cries, and a whinekin (sp?). The rules are the rules. Swim faster if you want to get to NCAAs, or do what some people do and try and get the LCM/SCM cuts.

nemesis enforcer

Post by nemesis enforcer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:13 pm

screeeeeeeeech wrote:Well, I'd say the kid sitting at home should get a wahburger, some french cries, and a whinekin (sp?). The rules are the rules. Swim faster if you want to get to NCAAs, or do what some people do and try and get the LCM/SCM cuts.
excellent.

and very true, as long as thats how things are, id be riding to the rodeo on any horse i could.
Nemesis- It'll get ya'

sagehen1

Post by sagehen1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Oh I agree, given the chance to make Nationals through that route I would definitely do it. I didn't really consider that some schools practice swim SCM/LCM which I guess makes a bit of a difference. I don't know if the NCAA has an updated conversion system or not but some of the older conversions are probably garbage (see Phelps 1:29.0 200 free, etc.) so it might be unfair in that respect, but I have no idea.

sweatyh20dad

Post by sweatyh20dad » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:29 pm

Unofficial psych sheet for both men and women now posted on NCAA website:

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/w-swim/champ ... sults.html

It links to D3

My Spoon's Too Big!

Post by My Spoon's Too Big! » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:25 am

sweatyh20dad wrote:Unofficial psych sheet for both men and women now posted on NCAA website:

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/w-swim/champ ... sults.html

It links to D3
OK, there are a few changes on the unofficial psych sheet (Dillon isn't swimming the 100 Back, for example). I have everyone through line 18 making the meet, plus the two guys tied for 19th in the 50 Free (Nelson and Karas), making 141. I have all line 10 relays making it for a total of 62, and since Emory needs two more relay-onlys on their line 11 relay, one more individual gets invited. However, since they already exceeded the individual cap by 1 because of the tie in the 50 Free, do they get to invite one more? If so, it will be Matt Spooner from Emory.

HOOSIER77

Post by HOOSIER77 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:28 am

What's the hold up on the men's psych sheet?

screeeeeeeeech

Post by screeeeeeeeech » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:35 am

Most likely there's a team (Kenyon) with over 18 guys or there is something going on with a relay-only invite. Just calm down. This happens every year. The list gets out when it gets out...