The Future of Kenyon Swimming

What do you predict for nationals? Who is going to shine, who is not?

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, Nasty Natti

malbeclover

The Future of Kenyon Swimming

Post by malbeclover » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:16 pm

While I congratulate Kenyon College on their 30th victory and recognize their outstanding program over the years, I would never recommend sending any swimmer to that college. Having knowledge of the atmosphere and the drama of this past season, the huge upsurge at Nike, and then the disaster at conference, I think things are unraveling. I recognize that at the conference meet nobody was tapered, but they were simply clobbered. For their sake, Steen went back to the bench and allowed Matt Harris to return to the relays (being a part of the four record breaking relays) and lead them to their 30th. He is now gone. Others can probably step up, but there is still some maturing necessary and it is going to have to take a focused strategy to get them to 31.

If I were a recruit, it would be much better to cast my lot with another top D3 team or a D1 rather than ride the ups and downs and the yanking of people in and out of relays and events happened this year. I would advise anyone on Kenyon with a World Championship Trial Cut to jump up to Division I and better position themselves for 2012 trials, if that is their objective.

DonCheadle
Gold Sponsor

Re: The Future of Kenyon Swimming

Post by DonCheadle » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:30 pm

What is "the huge upsurge at Nike," and what relay drama are you talking about?

Regarding kenyon not winning next year: Come on.
Machala, Michael
Schnieder, Dustin
Harris, Matthew

Those are the the only 3 Kenyon seniors from this year's national team. Kenyon still wins the meet easily without those three. Kenyon's senior class is possibly only the 5th best this year behind Olaf (for sure), Emory, Grove City (probably not) and Denison.

Next year they lose Withington, Lazarus, Borland, Huguenard, and Carruthers. MAYBE they have some problem defending in two years.

For Emory to have a legit shot at beating Kenyon, they need to get sprinters. How many guys have they had final (consol or otherswise) in the 50 or 100 the last 3 years? 1? 2? Kenyon outscored Emory by 100 points give or take a few in the 50 free, 100 free and the 2 and 4 free relays.
Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!

OutsideSmoker27
Team Affiliation: Grove City

Post by OutsideSmoker27 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:02 pm

malbeclover wrote:While I congratulate Kenyon College on their 30th victory and recognize their outstanding program over the years, I would never recommend sending any swimmer to that college. Having knowledge of the atmosphere and the drama of this past season, the huge upsurge at Nike, and then the disaster at conference, I think things are unraveling. I recognize that at the conference meet nobody was tapered, but they were simply clobbered. For their sake, Steen went back to the bench and allowed Matt Harris to return to the relays (being a part of the four record breaking relays) and lead them to their 30th. He is now gone. Others can probably step up, but there is still some maturing necessary and it is going to have to take a focused strategy to get them to 31.
Yeah, things were so bad that they hardly showed up at Nationals at all. That 200-point gap between Kenyon and Emory? Completely unstable. It's going to go straight to negative within a year. All those national relay championships (I don't mean the records, just the wins)? Total flukes. They're going to need some serious retooling to come close to being able to repeat that.

This is how things will now be at Kenyon in the new, late-Steen era: ongoing relay drama, an autocratic coach forced to concede to the demands of his team, swimmers who make TO look like a respectful, self-effacing athlete. The collapse is coming. The end of the world is at hand. You heard it hear first. :roll:
Families share the bond of blood; teams share the bond of toil, tears, and sweat. Both share the bond of the heart.

NCACDork

Post by NCACDork » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:12 pm

On a more serious note, it DOES look like there is a good battle lined up for the women next year between Kenyon and Emory. Kenyon has a lot of depth, but graduated at least three national champions that I can think of...

RhymeAndReason
Team Affiliation: Wheaton College (IL)

Post by RhymeAndReason » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:35 pm

malbeclover wrote:While I congratulate Kenyon College on their 30th victory and recognize their outstanding program over the years, I would never recommend sending any swimmer to that college. Having knowledge of the atmosphere and the drama of this past season, the huge upsurge at Nike, and then the disaster at conference, I think things are unraveling. I recognize that at the conference meet nobody was tapered, but they were simply clobbered. For their sake, Steen went back to the bench and allowed Matt Harris to return to the relays (being a part of the four record breaking relays) and lead them to their 30th. He is now gone. Others can probably step up, but there is still some maturing necessary and it is going to have to take a focused strategy to get them to 31.

If I were a recruit, it would be much better to cast my lot with another top D3 team or a D1 rather than ride the ups and downs and the yanking of people in and out of relays and events happened this year. I would advise anyone on Kenyon with a World Championship Trial Cut to jump up to Division I and better position themselves for 2012 trials, if that is their objective.
This piece is hilarious! More humor, please!
2006 Fantasy League Champion (man, that was a while ago!)

DonCheadle
Gold Sponsor

Post by DonCheadle » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:51 pm

SO I cannot figure it out by looking at the results other than the possibility that there was disagreement between Somers and machala for the 4th spot at night in the 400 free relay. Did that cause "relay drama?"
Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!

Milhouse
Gold Sponsor
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Post by Milhouse » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:53 pm

There was the issue of not using Ohning in relay prelims and risking disqualification from the meet. Maybe that's what he was talking about.
STILL THE 2005 D3SWIMMING.COM FANTASY LEAGUE CHAMPION!

ag

Post by ag » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Since you are talking "future Kenyon" here, can somebody please enlighten me about why would a decent swimmer, who could probably do fine at a mid-major DI college, choose Kenyon over anything else? If swimming is a major decision factor.

No disrespect here, but I would even say that there are many schools in DIII that offer at least if not better academics, if that's one of the reasons to go DIII instead of DI.
Location is not that great, school is small, competition in the team for spots to the Nats or Conference is obvious, etc.

Why on Earth would a decent high school student and a good swimmer choose Kenyon??

malbeclover

Post by malbeclover » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:23 pm

When someone can get Don Cheadle to defend Kenyon College it is all worth it. It has made my year!

Colbybr

Post by Colbybr » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:16 pm

ag wrote:Since you are talking "future Kenyon" here, can somebody please enlighten me about why would a decent swimmer, who could probably do fine at a mid-major DI college, choose Kenyon over anything else? If swimming is a major decision factor.

No disrespect here, but I would even say that there are many schools in DIII that offer at least if not better academics, if that's one of the reasons to go DIII instead of DI.
Location is not that great, school is small, competition in the team for spots to the Nats or Conference is obvious, etc.

Why on Earth would a decent high school student and a good swimmer choose Kenyon??
Jim Steen must be a hell of a coach and recruiter.

There are so many reasons they shouldn't be good.
24.0 50 Free
1:04.4 100 Backstroke

99 Red

Post by 99 Red » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:19 pm

Well, Kenyon recruiting isn't just Jim Steen. Kenyon's team I imagine does most of the important selling. From the coaching stand point, I think they want a recruit to show up on campus and stay over night with some swimmers, and they pray that financial aid packages work out to let the swimmers who want to go there fall into place.

However, Kenyon's Total Performance Swim Camp also does a great job selling their program (and all my opinions about this are very dated, so they might not make sense anymore). It facilitates swimmers sticking around in the summer, and it brings hundreds of kids who will eventually be looking at colleges to campus.

That D-I mid major swimmer thinking about D-III has to think do I want to be part of a program with a real story and history, or do they want to go to Miami of Ohio and maybe be fighting for a MAC championship? Kenyon is selling something pretty attractive in my mind. Obviously, I think the value proposition that Denison and Emory, trying to take a team to the top is more attractive than keeping a team at the top.

swim5599

Post by swim5599 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:48 pm

The future of Kenyon swimming is looking brighter then it has in years. DId we not just see a freshmen go 19.8 and 44.1 for them. Oh wait they probably won't bring in any athletes at all next year. Come on, Love them or Hate them. They flat get it done year in and year out.

RhymeAndReason

Post by RhymeAndReason » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:13 am

swim5599 wrote:The future of Kenyon swimming is looking brighter then it has in years. DId we not just see a freshmen go 19.8 and 44.1 for them. Oh wait they probably won't bring in any athletes at all next year. Come on, Love them or Hate them. They flat get it done year in and year out.
And that is one of their biggest selling points - GREAT coaching. Z Turk went from - 21 something (I recall) to 19.8 and 44.1 in one season. You will drop time and lots of it.

Colbybr

Post by Colbybr » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:34 am

99 Red wrote:Well, Kenyon recruiting isn't just Jim Steen. Kenyon's team I imagine does most of the important selling. From the coaching stand point, I think they want a recruit to show up on campus and stay over night with some swimmers, and they pray that financial aid packages work out to let the swimmers who want to go there fall into place.

However, Kenyon's Total Performance Swim Camp also does a great job selling their program (and all my opinions about this are very dated, so they might not make sense anymore). It facilitates swimmers sticking around in the summer, and it brings hundreds of kids who will eventually be looking at colleges to campus.

That D-I mid major swimmer thinking about D-III has to think do I want to be part of a program with a real story and history, or do they want to go to Miami of Ohio and maybe be fighting for a MAC championship? Kenyon is selling something pretty attractive in my mind. Obviously, I think the value proposition that Denison and Emory, trying to take a team to the top is more attractive than keeping a team at the top.
But would swimmers make such a big effort to sell the program to potential recruits if they didn't think Steen was an awesome coach?
24.0 50 Free
1:04.4 100 Backstroke

RhymeAndReason

Post by RhymeAndReason » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:16 am

David Somers:
March 2008 PR's:
21.5 50 free
46.7 100 free
1:44 200 free

March '09 PR's:
20.0 50 free
44.6 and 43.7 rs 100 free
1:40 200 free