2016 Championship in Review/2017 Predictions

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, OutsideSmoker27

Elroy Jetson

Re: 2016 Championship in Review/2017 Predictions

Post by Elroy Jetson » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:30 pm

Not too much that I want to add - I agree, Westminster really blew it up. I didn't expect their free relays, especially the 200's to be as fast as they were. Congratulations to them on a great meet.

Since you mentioned GCC's twitter account I went and looked at it - partly because I was somewhat underwhelmed by their performance, partly to see what you were referring to. I'm wondering what all happened on their trip out (flat tire, car accident) and how much impact that had on their weekend. They were very inconsistent. Most notably (and again, because you brought it up and piqued my curiosity) - their 400 medley relays weren't good, especially the women. When you look at their aggregates they should have been much faster:

women:
Byer - 59.31 back (swam the free leg)
Crutcher - 1:07.43 breast (was 1:10.59 on the relay)
Dassow - 57.34 fly (swam the back leg)
Jank - 54.56 free (was 54.23 on the B relay, .22 faster than Byer)
Total - 3:58.64 - 3 seconds better than St. Vincent

men:
Hoselton - 51.82 back (was 52.68 on the relay)
Slate - 57.53 breast (was 57.84 on the relay)
Dickhudt - 51.69 fly (was 51.21 on the B relay, Gwynn was 52.72 on the A relay)
Kisak - 48.06 free (was 48.97 on the E relay, Vehrs was 48.07 on the A relay)
Total - 3:29.10
Still 1 second slower than Westminster (whose aggregate is 3:28.31), but relay exchanges could make this one very close. Since back and fly look like a wash it's going to come down to whether Westminster can find an answer for Slate or if Grove City can find one for Stahara. Both men's medleys should be great races

The bigger question is, while Smith did a fantastic job of preparing the Titans, what was Fritz doing with the Wolverines that they had such awful long relays and had some mixed results - some were very fast like you pointed out, but others, were either inconsistent (Gwynn - had some solid free sprints, but not great fly) or just plain off (Megan Smith).

One last thing - does anyone have any idea where Nincke (Westminster) or Hutzelmann (Grove City) has been? Both are still on their respective rosters, but I don't think i've seen results for Nincke at all and not for Hutzelmann since early October. I think Westminster is safe without Nincke (they might be faster in the 800 FR with him), but Hutzelmann might be a big loss in what's shaping up to be a close race in the women's meet.

swimswamswum
Team Affiliation: Westminster

Post by swimswamswum » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:27 pm

Nincke is out for the year with an injury. A return for next year is still questionable.

Also noticing some no shows throughout GCCs past few meets. I wonder if there's some sort of illness going around... another note on grove city: I've heard they've been using a USRPT route for training. If it's true, that's an interesting change of pace.

The closer we get to PACs, it looks like it's really going to be a dogfight on the women's side between SVC, GCC, and WC.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

weedwacker2000

Post by weedwacker2000 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Well, much to mention about the PAC swimming championships that have just been completed. Congrats to the Westminster men and 1st year coach Smith for excellent preparation and super results. Well deserved victory! Some of their freshmen I noticed were clearly standouts for this meet - Matt Kwalick (in particular), Thomas Somora, Aaron Dunlany and Matt Bogen. They along with Mitch Stahara and Dave Peffer and others certainly made a difference this year.

Also a big congratulations to the Grove City women's team for 9 championships in a row!! Most impressive!! There had been some discussion in this forum that the women team race would be close. Obviously not! Although we all know it is a team effort, much of the credit for such a strong showing goes to the freshmen class. I counted out their individual points and came to 346 for the GCC first year gals alone, more than Chatham had put together. Six of the freshmen finished no lower than 7th. And what a meet Anne Shirley Dassow had! Perhaps the best since Kaitlyn Orstein. Three pool/conference records, and nearly beat Peggy's record in the 200 fly from 14 years ago. If she retapers well, she should make quite a splash at D3 nationals. Is a national victory in the 200 fly possible? Anyway Coach Fritz will be losing a couple of his freestyle sprinters for next year, but if he is able to retain this special freshmen class, I see no problem with the GCC women getting to 10 championships in a row.

Did anyone miss the AMCC?

weedwacker2000

Post by weedwacker2000 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:40 pm

Just noticed that the Grove City women came through with a remarkable time in the 200MR at the Kenyon Last Chance meet today. Their time of 1:44.42 (and a new conference record!) should easily qualify them for Nationals in that event. I calculate them at 13th in the country for the 200MR. Great swimming! And now Anne Shirley Dassow will have company on the trip to Texas.

weedwacker2000

Post by weedwacker2000 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Oops, a little too premature in my thinking that the 200MR team will get an invite. Where did all these d3 schools get such fast relay teams as compared to last year?

Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:58 pm

The meet turned out pretty much like we thought it would as far as team finishes. Great job by the Westminster men and Grove City women in defending their titles. Both teams demonstrated a lot of quality depth. Honestly, I was wondering how all the teams would do with the meet so early this year, and it looked like everyone did really, really well. As for the AMCC, I thought it was weird seeing so many open lanes in the men's meet, but hopefully W&J, Bethany, and Chatham can build up their men's teams so that doesn't happen in the future. Otherwise, given the depth of the competition through at least 10th place in most events, and even further in the women's events, I'm guessing not many people were missing the AMCC. Like weedwacker mentioned, Anne Shirley Dassow was especially impressive - that 200 fly time is pretty incredible, especially when you consider the record she nearly broke was the national record at the time.

It's too bad that Grove City's medley didn't get invited, that's incredible that a 1:44.42 didn't make the meet. That's a crazy fast time - hopefully Grove City can find a freestyle sprinter to put on that relay next year to go along with the 2 freshmen and sophomore who are returning so that Anne Shirley can have some company at NCAAs next year.

Hopefully Mitch Stahara can also have a big senior year and punch his ticket to NCAA's next year. He's been so close for so long and seems like a really nice kid - it would be great to see more PAC swimmers at NCAAs. I also wanted to recognize Matt Kwalick's 50 free of his 200 IM to come back for the win - splitting 25.92 to overcome a 1.6 second deficit is impressive!