A break out swim?

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, OutsideSmoker27

weedwacker2000

A break out swim?

Post by weedwacker2000 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:57 pm

Yesterday at the W&J pool, Grove City freshman Tim Bergquist swam an amazing time of 58.76 in the 100 breast, dropping over 5 seconds from his mid season invitational time in early December. In all my years of following PAC swimming I can't recall such a huge drop in time from Dec to Jan., and it easily becomes the best non-tapered 100 breast swim in GCC men's history. The time does appear legitimate. Last year COSprings found that this guy's best time in HS was a 1:09.

I guess my question would be - was anyone expecting this? and certainly W&J pool is not the fastest in the conference. I am assuming that proper technique training as well as physical training (conditioning) played roles in the time drop. At the least I feel Bergquist has earned himself a place on the championship roster for scoring points, which for us GCC swim fans is a unexpected bonus. It will be interesting what he does next weekend against Denison for the meet at GCC's pool.

Elroy Jetson

Re: A break out swim?

Post by Elroy Jetson » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:41 pm

3 races (at least) had incorrect results and I have no idea why - the scoreboard showed the correct results:
Men's 100 breast - Bergquist won in 1:05.91. The order of finish was GC, GC, WJ, GC, WJ - so none of it makes sense
Women's 100 breast - Grove City took 1-2 in 1:11 and 1:12 (I don't remember the exact times)
Women's 50 free - Palumbo was 24.42. The race wasn't close. She was winning by half a body length before she even took a stroke.

As far as I can tell the other events seem correct. I was kind of shocked at the beat down that Grove City put on W&J, but there were quite a few women and a couple men missing studying abroad during the J term. Not that I think it would have made much difference, I think the only event the women won was the 500 and it seemed like Grove City was swimming a lot of off events.

weedwacker2000

Post by weedwacker2000 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:25 am

EJ - Thanks for the clarification. Apparent swim times can be deceiving. Does W&J need a timing system upgrade or overhaul?

COSpringsGCC
Team Affiliation: Grove City

Post by COSpringsGCC » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:21 pm

So unfortunately I haven't been able to look to closely at many of the mid-season times or crunch any numbers on what PACs championships are starting to look like. I know there is always the question of whether or not GCC can repeat in both men and womens. But with how GCC has done in duel meets i think this is a subject that should be further evaluated.

Does anyone have insight into whether the duel meet results are the fact that teams such as Alleganey are getting better without GCC changing much? Or is GCC really getting slower? With how GCC handled W&J does that stand as a ray of hope for an otherwise seemingly bleak outlook on their possible lost at PACs?

weedwacker2000

Post by weedwacker2000 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:45 pm

COSpringsGCC wrote:Does anyone have insight into whether the duel meet results are the fact that teams such as Alleganey are getting better without GCC changing much? Or is GCC really getting slower? With how GCC handled W&J does that stand as a ray of hope for an otherwise seemingly bleak outlook on their possible lost at PACs?
Insight regarding results and/or predictions is something I can provide, training knowledge not so much. Here's my take on COSprings inquiry:

Assuming we are refering to the GCC men's team, it follows that after losing such a solid class of swimmers from the class of 2012 there would be a drop off in both dual meet results, as well as invitational meets. During the Courage/Whitbeck era Coach Fritz started scheduling against stronger non-conference teams such as Denison, Kenyon, Case Western and even renewed the long time rivalry against Allegheny. Since then he has dumped from the schedule weaker teams such as Frostburg State, Hiram and Behrend. This current year the GCC men don't have nearly the top speed and depth they have had in the past 4 or 5 years. The current freshmen don't even come close to swimming like the recently departed class of 2012. In summary then - yes, the non-conference opposition is stronger, and yes, the GCC men are swimming slower than in recent years. Yet having said that, there is still a possibility they could end up as conference champs. (I'll have more to comment about that in a separate topic, unless someone beats me to it.)

As for Allegheny College men's swimming. They certainly have better swimmers now than they have had in the recent past. Looking back to results against Grove City in the 2008-09 season, we find that Grove City took the top two places in every single event during their dual meet. That was around the time their long term coach retired, and they had trouble finding a new coach who would stay, and so their recruiting suffered a lot. In the distant past Allegheny fielded really strong teams.