Comments for Nationals 2012

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, OutsideSmoker27

weedwacker2000

Comments for Nationals 2012

Post by weedwacker2000 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:09 pm

To start off - congratulations to all the PAC women who went to Indianapolis! Super achievements; well done! I do have a few other comments if anyone else cares to respond.

1. For Bethany Haver to finish her senior year with two more All American awards is highly commendable. Seems to me that she was not nearly as sharp the last night on the 3 meter board as I'm sure she wanted to be, but still a great effort nonetheless.

2. For Caitlyn Lehberger. Wow!! Agruably the best ever swimmer in Westminster history. (I know several Westminster swimmers won NAIA national titles, but I don't think they compare with her effort and times from NCAA, and against far stronger competition) And just missing out on two titles! For the 100 breaststroke it appeared that the gal from Kenyon beat her off the starting block and Caitlyn couldn't quite make up the difference. For the 200, I'm sure no one could have predicted that the first year gal from Stevens would drop all that time to finish with her title. Still two national runner-ups is not too shabby.

3. For the Grove City women. Another great job at Nationals! Top ten! Some of my thoughts:

Actually their top ten placing had a little help from the gals from Wooster in the 400 free relay. By Wooster's efforts during prelims they pushed Springfield into the consolation finals and prevented them from getting the 22 points Springfield would have made for 8th place. If so scored, that would have moved Grove City back into 11th place overall for the 3rd year in a row.

Unfortunately Coach Fritz couldn't get a good retaper from Kate Wilt, thus missing out on both medleys relays. Bit of a down note for her after such an excellent college swim career. At least she made it to Nationals, and still quite an accomplishment.

I'm not sure why Lauren Cassano did not swim on the 200 FR, since she was on that relay whose seed time was used in submitting times to the NCAA. Perhaps because she qualified on one other relay, and coach was allowed to substitute her off the 200 FR.

It was great to notice that all three juniors scored individually at Nationals this year. Congrats to Angela, Jenny and Katie for all their school, conference and/or personal records. Hopefully they will be motivated to even better times next year. And for Jenna - super way to finish an outstanding and consistant swim career at Grove City. No doubt she will be missed next year.