PAC championship meet, 2012

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, OutsideSmoker27

weedwacker2000

PAC championship meet, 2012

Post by weedwacker2000 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:55 pm

Just a few more days until things start happening at Grove City. Here's what I got for discussion, and/or for other opinions, if any out there are interested...

1. Grove City women easily win. Coach Fritz may even need to take out a couple of the upperclassmen who scored in previous years, and insert some of the talented freshmen gals. ( I write this before the psych sheet has been posted). I think a big goal for GCC is to get Lauren Cassano to Indianapolis, as well as one of the breaststrokers. That will mean stacking the medley relays, or at least getting Lauren in the 400 FR with three of her All-American teammates, and hoping something will qualify.

2. As noted earlier, with Westminster's Jake Scherer gone, the chance for the Grove city men to repeat goes up considerably. Still it could be tight battle for conference victory. Here are some numbers I have put together:

Grove City returns 11 who scored individual points last year, and that total is 475. They will probably add 3 other swimmers who swam exhibition last year - D. Bossert, Ian Smith and Collin Foster. Those three would have scored 54 points if they had their points count. Total is 529. Grove City won all the relays last year (200 pts.), but that most likely will not happen this year. One or both of the medleys could go to Westminster, as well as the 200FR. The wolverines do have a decent freshman diver who should score over 30 points

Westminster returns 13 who scored last year, with a total of 429. (Which is a 100 point difference). However they have a stronger freshmen class then does GCC. I foresee WC having these 6 freshmen available for scoring - J. Pletz, S. Brooks, D. Starr, N. Smith, J. Debone and M. Williams. To get back to 18, Cody Trudeau will be swimming exhibition again this year.

Victory for the men will largely depend on the freshmen swimmers/divers. Can Westminster's freshmen class make the difference?

PACswim
Team Affiliation: Grove City College

Re: PAC championship meet, 2012

Post by PACswim » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:14 pm

weedwacker2000 wrote:I think a big goal for GCC is to get Lauren Cassano to Indianapolis, as well as one of the breaststrokers.
I agree about the need to take Lauren Cassano to Indy. Getting her some big-meet experience early on in her career will help ensure the future success of Grove City's program.
weedwacker2000 wrote:Can Westminster's freshmen class make the difference?
Possibly. I give Grove City's more experienced squad a slight edge, but it will be an exciting meet for sure. The diving results haven't been posted yet, but I'm interested in seeing how Klimek did tonight.

As for the ladies - Grove City should run away with the meet. I think the best part of the women's competition will be seeing the times posted by the heavy-hitters: Lehberger, Riesmeyer, and Palumbo will certainly shine in their respective events. I'm having a hard time gleaning much meaningful information from the unofficial psyche sheet, but I'll be back tomorrow with some first-day recap and thoughts.

PACswim

Post by PACswim » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:35 pm

Quick take on today:

Fantastic swims by many, many people. Joe Woodman's 500 was great, as well as Jenny Ryan's 200IM (she really gave Lehberger a run for her money!). Westminster's men had a nice 4MR, as did Grove City's women. Also, St. Vincent has been swimming well - their women's 2FR would have placed 2nd without an unfortunate DQ, and they've had some solid races all-around (see Woodman, above). I'm happy to see them becoming contenders in this conference.

Looking forward to more great action tomorrow.

weedwacker2000

Post by weedwacker2000 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:23 pm

It was a fantastic meet! So many pool and conference records I lost count. (But, then actually I didn't make a strong effort to count past 10). Anyway great meet; and congrats to all the swimmers and divers who put in so many months of training!! And Drew, another memorable announcing job!

Not only did the GCC women win easily, they dominated. Wow - 15 out of 20 victories! Maybe the first time ever capturing all the relays. And it wasn't as if the others weren't swimming well. I remember back to 2006 (I believe) when they won just a single event. And the versatility of Jenny Ryan continues to amaze, especially with her getting the victory and conference record in the 1650. I think she did mostly freestyle sprints and some IM in high school.

One note - I thought for sure that GCC would time trial the 400MR as Lauren went out too fast in the backstroke leg, and kind of died (relatively speaking) being about 1.3 seconds slower than what she did later in the 100 back. Surely they could have gone faster and gotten a better B cut, and more assured of getting the relay to Nationals. However, as it turns out they may still qualify that relay, as they are currently sitting 15th.

The GCC men came through with solid efforts all around, despite the DQ in the 800 relay. Great swimming by Ben, Kirk, Louis and Dave & Jim Bossert. Seems like to me that even though the Westminster men senior class swam well, their freshmen were not much a factor.

weedwacker2000

Post by weedwacker2000 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:25 pm

To follow on my last post, I want to make special note of Caitlyn Lehberger's efforts at PACs. Certainly a well deserved PAC MVP award. Appears I was wrong about her not tapering for this meet. Just amazing swimming - she is looking super strong in both the breaststokes to the point where she is currently seeded #1 nationally in both events. Can she pull off a national championship swim in either or both events? With a solid retaper I would definitely say so in the 100 breast, maybe less so in the 200.

PACswim

Post by PACswim » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:13 am

I went to bed before the last conference's results were posted, but when I checked today I was happy to see that the Grove City women managed to remain in 15th and qualify their 400MR. Although the GCC men's 400FR is still on the bubble, they will likely be knocked out by the end of the weekend.
Total list of PAC swimmers who will be representing our conference at nationals: Ryan, Riesmeyer, Richert, Cassano, Wilt, Palumbo, Lehberger. Not a bad showing, and certainly more women than last year. Now we just need to get the men on board next season.
weedwacker2000 wrote:Can she pull off a national championship swim in either or both events? With a solid retaper I would definitely say so in the 100 breast, maybe less so in the 200.
She just keeps swimming faster and faster. I think that she definitely has the ability to win both events. She currently has the 2nd fastest time in the nation in the 200, behind the top spot by only 0.16. It'll be exciting to see what she can do. Go Caitlin!

weedwacker2000

Post by weedwacker2000 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:50 pm

PACswim wrote:Total list of PAC swimmers who will be representing our conference at nationals: Ryan, Riesmeyer, Richert, Cassano, Wilt, Palumbo, Lehberger. Not a bad showing, and certainly more women than last year.
Actually the same number of swimmers as 2011, when GCC sent 5, and WC sent 2. I'm also thinking that Bethany Haver will get another invite for diving.

According to the latest release the Grove City 400MR barely squeeks into the national meet in 16th seed. But that's enough, and they should move up after the prelims.

Just to focus on Grove City's prospects at Nationals. In 2010 there were no indiv. qualifyers, and last year just one (Riesmeyer) who qualified as an individual. This year we have three, and all three gals should be able to place in one or two events each and thus score some points. Adding those points to the relays, I'm thinking the GCC gals should be around 9th place and most likely be in the top ten.

swimforlife

Post by swimforlife » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:07 pm

9th would be great for GCC. Last year they missed 10th by one point. Westminster, with one swimmer, will most likely place in the top 20 thanks to the strength of Lehberger (potential national champ?).