This week's developments

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, OutsideSmoker27

Post Reply
PACswim
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:06 pm
Team Affiliation: Grove City College

This week's developments

Post by PACswim » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:38 am

Last weekend the GCC women took down CMU in a meet that could have gone either way, and the W&J women just squeaked out a win against Westminster thanks to a touchout in the last relay. Pretty solid swims from everyone, especially considering that it's only mid-November.

Conversely, the W&J men continue to flounder and the GCC men were devastated by CMU (not a good sign, especially following their early loss to Allegheny).

Thoughts on how the women's side of things is shaping up? PACs predictions for the men's teams?

weedwacker2000
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:56 pm

Re: This week's developments

Post by weedwacker2000 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:48 pm

PACswim wrote:Last weekend the GCC women took down CMU in a meet that could have gone either way, and the W&J women just squeaked out a win against Westminster thanks to a touchout in the last relay. Pretty solid swims from everyone, especially considering that it's only mid-November.

Conversely, the W&J men continue to flounder and the GCC men were devastated by CMU (not a good sign, especially following their early loss to Allegheny).

Thoughts on how the women's side of things is shaping up? PACs predictions for the men's teams?
Great! Another one posting on the PAC forum. Welcome! Just not sure I agree that the GCC/CMU women's meet could have gone either way. All of Grove City's victories at that meet were won by solid decent margins. In fact the meet could have gone more for GCC, if Jenny ryan hadn't been touched out on a couple of races.

I agree, W&J men's team has absolutely no depth this year. With Grove City men having lost such a strong senior class, and having such a poor incoming freshmen class (and even the best of that group, Jim Bossert, hasn't swum since Clarion), I seriously believe that the 59 year consecutive winning dual meet streak is in jeopardy of not making it to 60. But more about that later. They could really use a decent backstroker. The best they have is Ben Bowser, but he is needed elsewhere. I'm thinking that their best 400 Medley relay would be Ben, Clay, Kirk and Eric (And that's shuffling things around.)

I believe the GCC women are looking really good this time of year. They should go 5-0 in the conference dual meet season, and then repeat as champs in the conference meet. I still lean towards the GCC men winning PAC's in February, but Westminster could just pull off the victory. We'll have to wait and see how the mid-season meets end up.

User avatar
DexterSwimmer
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:48 pm
Team Affiliation: Grove City

Re: This week's developments

Post by DexterSwimmer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:49 pm

There were lots of fast swims this weekend for Grove City at the Kenyon Total Performance meet including some NCAA B-cuts. On the women's side, Angie Palumbo was smokin' in the sprint free races with 3 B-cuts (100 Free 51.7, 50 Free 23.8, 200 Free 1.51.95), Kait Riesmeyer clocked 3 B-cuts as well in the 100 FLy 56.8 , 200 Fly 2.05.3, 200 Free 1.53.3, and Jenny Ryan logged one for the 400IM 4.33.9. Several relays earned B cuts as well ... 800FR time 7.31.7 will likely be enough for an Indianapolis invite. On the men's side, Kirk Gagliardo just barely missed B-cuts in the 50 and 100 Free.

How did the rest of the PAC look this weekend? Alyssa Taylor's PAC 'Swimmer of the week' Fly times are nice drops from earlier in the season. Other fast swims?

HITMAN
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:46 pm
Team Affiliation: Grove City College

Re: This week's developments

Post by HITMAN » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:02 pm

I am pretty sure that Kirk Gagliardo swam a B-cut in the 100 free at the Kenyon meet in pre-lims with a time of 45.96
Last edited by HITMAN on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

swimforlife
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:23 pm
Team Affiliation: Grove City College

Re: This week's developments

Post by swimforlife » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Yes Gagliardo did get a B cut. The GCC team swam fast at the Kenyon Invite, particularly the women. Much faster then they did last year with many of the same swimmers.

weedwacker2000
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:56 pm

Re: This week's developments

Post by weedwacker2000 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:17 pm

DexterSwimmer wrote:There were lots of fast swims this weekend for Grove City at the Kenyon Total Performance meet including some NCAA B-cuts. On the women's side, Angie Palumbo was smokin' in the sprint free races with 3 B-cuts (100 Free 51.7, 50 Free 23.8, 200 Free 1.51.95), Kait Riesmeyer clocked 3 B-cuts as well in the 100 FLy 56.8 , 200 Fly 2.05.3, 200 Free 1.53.3, and Jenny Ryan logged one for the 400IM 4.33.9. Several relays earned B cuts as well ... 800FR time 7.31.7 will likely be enough for an Indianapolis invite. On the men's side, Kirk Gagliardo just barely missed B-cuts in the 50 and 100 Free.

How did the rest of the PAC look this weekend? Alyssa Taylor's PAC 'Swimmer of the week' Fly times are nice drops from earlier in the season. Other fast swims?
Took a while for me to get back to this forum. Just a few comments about the mid season swim meets.
1. From Westminster I thought that Freshmen Jake Pletz had a bunch of decent swims, particularly the 200 back with a time of 1:55.33. Of course Caitlyn Lehberger swam well, and although no A cuts, she certainly had strong enough times to get invited back to Nationals. I also noted good times from Dan Gutmann and Alan Nedley in their respective events.

2. Not much to report from W&J except for Bethany Haver at the boards and Jessica Sweitzer with the 100 free. Otherwise they swam average times, which is typical for them at mid-season.

3. Going back to the 100 free, I was very impressed to observe six gals from Grove City go under 54.0. When has that ever happened at mid-season? Katie Riesmeyer seems to be back to her tapered freestyle sprinting times from high school, and that's encouraging for Nationals.

4. Keeping with Grove City it appears that Coach Fritz has found some backstrokers for the medley relays. Senior Colin Foster has stepped up and is swimming some decent 50 back times, and Soph. CP Dehli has picked it up a notch for the 100 back. And freshmen Lauren Cassano is doing real well in the backstroke events (50,100 and 200) - looks like personal records for all three at Kenyon.

babwik
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:53 am

Re: This week's developments

Post by babwik » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:39 am

HITMAN wrote:I am pretty sure that Kirk Gagliardo swam a B-cut in the 100 free at the Kenyon meet in pre-limbs with a time of 45.96
If he did that pre-limbs imagine what he'll do after he gets arms and legs!

Post Reply