At Nationals, 2011

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, OutsideSmoker27

weedwacker2000

At Nationals, 2011

Post by weedwacker2000 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:45 pm

A very good start for the PAC women after the first day of prelims. Bethany Haver, seeded 7th will, of course, dive tonight and could quite possibly move up. Caitlyn Lehberger sneaks into the championship finals of the 200IM (if only her backstroke leg were stronger!). Then the Grove City women continue to amaze, dropping time for the 200MR moving from 22nd place to 12th, and setting not only the school record but also the open conference record. Very impressive splits by Kait and Angie.

All this bodes well for the rest of the time in Knoxville.

weedwacker2000

Re: At Nationals, 2011

Post by weedwacker2000 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:44 am

Now halfway through Nationals, and with the Westminster and Wash & Jeff gals having the day off, the Grove City women take conference "center stage" for day two. Clearly Kait Riesmeyer is swimming really well this meet. I was not expecting her to make it to the big heat in the fly, and then to move up and get 5th from lane 8 is very impressive. Congrats!! She claims Grove City's first individual womens All-American since Peggy in 2004. I'm optimistic for Kait's swim in the 200 fly tomorrow against a strong field.

I'm not sure what happened to the 200FR. First there is a disqualification, then a reinstatement (I assume following a general protest) which gives them in the prelims a new school and open conference record. However I'm concerned that they tend to add time from morning to evening swims. Will they be able to duplicate the results of last year's 800 and 400 free relays? Remains to be seen. Being seeded 9th in the 800 relay gives them an advantage of being in lane 4 rather than an outside lane. I wonder if anyone knows if the slower heats of the 800 swim at night like last year? Perhaps since the NCAA made the decision to invite 16 relay teams, then maybe just those teams will swim the 800 at night. Anybody up on this?

Lastly special congrats to Caitlyn Lehberger and Bethany Haver for their All American efforts from Wedsnesday. Well done!!

weedwacker2000

Post by weedwacker2000 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:23 pm

That was quite a swim meet to say the least! Denison men by a single point. Truly amazing!! It was worth watching on the live video feed.

Back to how the PAC women did. Remarkable, considering how small a conference we are. Two teams in the top 13. Excellent swimming and diving by everyone who went. The coaches had these gals very well prepared. First - Courtney Herdt. Well done and congrats on finishing your senior year with a national runner-up. To think on where she was her first year, and how well she has progressed since then is worth mentioning. Here's what I have for her in the 100 and 200 breaststrokes:

2008 - 100br. 1:08.69: 200br. 2:33.16 (conference meet)
2009 - 100br. 1:07.05; 200br. 2:26.53 (again, conference)
2010 - 100br. 1:04.31; 200br. 2:21.06 (nationals)
2011 - 100br. 1:02.85; 200br. 2:17.15 (nationals)

Part of her improvement must be as a result of Caitlyn joining the team starting her sophomore year, and having a stronger swimmer to train with. However excellent coaching at Westminster, as well as her own drive and determination surely had an impact into her success.
weedwacker2000 wrote:Will they be able to duplicate the results of last year's 800 and 400 free relays?
I asked this question about the GCC women's relays, and to answer myself - yes, and then some against stronger competition. Again, two new school and open conference records. I missed the video feed for the 800, but saw it for the 400FR finals and was very impressed how well they swam that relay. Even holding off Kenyon for 5th place. I believe all their splits were personal bests. Great effort!!

Also, congratulations to Caitlyn Lehberger and Bethany Haver for having done really well, and receiving more All-American citations!

Lastly I'd like to point out how both coaches Fritz and Klamut have gotten excellent tapers/retapers out of all their swimmers to nationals. This speaks well to the quality of coaching in the PAC, and surely should attract high caliber swimmers in high school who want to improve their times, as well as enjoy their collegiate swimming experience.

Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:13 am

Congratulations to all the PAC qualifiers - fantastic job

First, amazing that two swimmers can garner enough points to finish 13th. An especially fantastic effort given their travel experience to the meet (based on the blog posts on their website) - three flights and five airports over 12 hours. That had to be stressful. Herdt's drops over her career were ridiculous - very reminiscent of Ryan Trunk, and a similar career, although she didn't even have a B cut her freshman year.

I'm especially excited for what Bethany Haver did - not only was she top eight on both boards, but she also earned a lot of respect for PAC diving. Hopefully the judges will start to award more appropriate scores so that more PAC divers can make the qualifying score and possibly be selected. There have been too many great PAC divers over the years who didn't get to go to the meet and compete - hopefully Bethany opened the door for others.

As for Grove City, I was also skeptical that they could repeat their NCAA performance from last year.
weedwacker2000 wrote:Again, two new school and open conference records.
Actually, it was four new school and conference records - in addition to the three free relays, I was shocked that they crushed the conference record in the 200 medley relay without even having all the girls who swam it at conference. I was also stunned by Riesmeyer - I would have lost a lot of money betting she wouldn't drop more time from PACs to NCAAs and she improved .5 and 1 second in the 100 and 200 fly respectively. She didn't score in the 100 a year ago and now she's 5th. Great job!

With only Herdt and Page graduating I'm already looking forward to seeing what the PAC can accomplish next year. Hopefully some guys will be able to join the ladies next year.

DexterSwimmer
Team Affiliation: Grove City

Post by DexterSwimmer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Great swims for the PAC at nationals. Congratulations to all!
Perhaps next season the NCAA D3 survey team rankings will finally include PAC teams in the top 25.

weedwacker2000

Post by weedwacker2000 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Elroy Jetson wrote:With only Herdt and Page graduating I'm already looking forward to seeing what the PAC can accomplish next year.
Maybe this is just wishful thinking. I noticed that the GCC women's team captain for 2011-12, Larissa Cassano, has a younger sister, Lauren (a H.S. senior), who earlier this year put up some pretty good times in the freestyle sprints at the District 7 meet. Something like 24.7/52.8/1:54.6. I have not talked with Dave Fritz, but if he has been able to recruit Lauren to join her sister on the Grove City team for the upcoming year, then you'll have someone potentially capable of taking Sarah Page's place on the podium in Indianapolis.

DexterSwimmer
Team Affiliation: Grove City

Post by DexterSwimmer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:28 pm

Yes, Larissa's sister Lauren Cassano is planning to attend Grove City next year and will be a super addition to the women's team. She posted a number of fast swims her senior year and brings versatility similar to GCC's Jenny Ryan.

weedwacker2000

Post by weedwacker2000 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:01 pm

Hey! Thanks Dexter for the affirmation of Lauren's intents. Good news for us fans of PAC swimming.

swimforlife
Team Affiliation: Grove City College

Post by swimforlife » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:49 am

I have heard the same about Lauren C. Page's speed and leadership will be missed but they have plenty of young guns ready to step up. Now let's see if the PAC can build on this year's success at Nationals. Hopefully next year we will see some men there as well. Several were very close this past year.

Trythisfive
Team Affiliation: tokyo

Post by Trythisfive » Tue May 16, 2017 11:44 pm

missed old day

sbobet