Cox:

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman

Post Reply
DonCheadle
Gold Sponsor
Posts: 3856
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:00 am
Location: Hollywood, CA

Cox:

Post by DonCheadle » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:13 pm

So it has been thrown out by others. This guy most have had serious D1 offers. Why did he choose CMS (and which school did he choose?)?
Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!

User avatar
The Treat
Moderator
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:28 pm
Team Affiliation: Washington University in St. Louis
Location: Dunder-Mifflin Scranton Branch

Re: Cox:

Post by The Treat » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:01 pm

DonCheadle wrote:So it has been thrown out by others. This guy most have had serious D1 offers. Why did he choose CMS (and which school did he choose?)?
he chose harvey mudd college.
Jim Halpert: One day Michael came in, complaining about a speed bump, on the highway... I wonder who he ran over then.

OutsideSmoker27
Moderator
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:20 am
Team Affiliation: Grove City
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Post by OutsideSmoker27 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:18 pm

Shockingly enough, he did in fact have scholarship offers from a number of D-I schools (Stanford, Georgia Tech, Northwestern, among others). Instead he went to CMS (specifically Harvey Mudd) to study physics and/or engineering. Apparently, he figured swimming wasn't going to get him anywhere in the long run of life, so he went for academics. Enter Harvey Mudd, a school with a solid academic reputation -- especially for a major like his -- which has the added bonus of being close to home.

Since we already know he's a stud of a swimmer and he definitely has some brainpower going for him (HS valedictorian and all that), my biggest remaining question is what he's like in person: arrogant? classy? cocky? a bit odd, perhaps? But I suppose the people who meet him at Nationals will be able to speak to that.....or anyone from CMS or the rest of the SCIAC.
Families share the bond of blood; teams share the bond of toil, tears, and sweat. Both share the bond of the heart.

User avatar
N Dynamite
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: Idaho

Post by N Dynamite » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:49 pm

a bit odd, perhaps?
This coming from the guy who did the weirdest looking prerace, on the block, stretch you've ever seen :lol:
You have Pedro's protection. Vote for Pedro.

User avatar
The Treat
Moderator
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:28 pm
Team Affiliation: Washington University in St. Louis
Location: Dunder-Mifflin Scranton Branch

Post by The Treat » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:27 pm

OutsideSmoker27 wrote:Shockingly enough, he did in fact have scholarship offers from a number of D-I schools (Stanford, Georgia Tech, Northwestern, among others). Instead he went to CMS (specifically Harvey Mudd) to study physics and/or engineering. Apparently, he figured swimming wasn't going to get him anywhere in the long run of life, so he went for academics. Enter Harvey Mudd, a school with a solid academic reputation -- especially for a major like his -- which has the added bonus of being close to home.

Since we already know he's a stud of a swimmer and he definitely has some brainpower going for him (HS valedictorian and all that), my biggest remaining question is what he's like in person: arrogant? classy? cocky? a bit odd, perhaps? But I suppose the people who meet him at Nationals will be able to speak to that.....or anyone from CMS or the rest of the SCIAC.
how do you know all this??
Jim Halpert: One day Michael came in, complaining about a speed bump, on the highway... I wonder who he ran over then.

OutsideSmoker27
Moderator
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:20 am
Team Affiliation: Grove City
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Post by OutsideSmoker27 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:03 pm

N Dynamite wrote:
a bit odd, perhaps?
This coming from the guy who did the weirdest looking prerace, on the block, stretch you've ever seen
The "wiggle" is irrelevant to this thread! :wink: And besides, if it takes one to know one, I expect I'd be able to spot Mr. Cox as "a bit odd" from, oh, at least a mile off.
The Treat wrote:how do you know all this??
A little research (i.e. about 15 minutes' worth)
Families share the bond of blood; teams share the bond of toil, tears, and sweat. Both share the bond of the heart.

MilkMan
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:33 am

Plus...

Post by MilkMan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:38 pm

On top of all that...

His coach, Charlie Griffiths, is a good guy. I'm sure that played a part in his going there. And have you checked out their lineup? Its pretty bottom loaded with a lot of talent in the younger classes. That too would be pretty appealling

User avatar
The Treat
Moderator
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:28 pm
Team Affiliation: Washington University in St. Louis
Location: Dunder-Mifflin Scranton Branch

Post by The Treat » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:17 am

OutsideSmoker27 wrote: The "wiggle" is irrelevant to this thread! :wink: And besides, if it takes one to know one, I expect I'd be able to spot Mr. Cox as "a bit odd" from, oh, at least a mile off.
whats the wiggle? i think i know someone who used to be able to do something similar. he would take his hands clenched together behind his back, and then w/o letting go of his hands, and essentially popping his shoulder out of his socket, would bring them over the top and to the front. very disturbing... especially before a race. he's too old to do it now though. he called it the worm though.
Jim Halpert: One day Michael came in, complaining about a speed bump, on the highway... I wonder who he ran over then.

User avatar
N Dynamite
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: Idaho

Post by N Dynamite » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:51 am

There has been some talk about other schools bolstering their relays and potentially qualifying for Nats - but things have been quiet in the SCIAC.

My question is - with a guy going 20.22 in the 50 and another guy going 4:37 in the 500, did CMS pick up any help for these two to compete on a relay at Minnesota in March? How far off were they last year?
You have Pedro's protection. Vote for Pedro.

User avatar
The Treat
Moderator
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:28 pm
Team Affiliation: Washington University in St. Louis
Location: Dunder-Mifflin Scranton Branch

Post by The Treat » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:21 am

N Dynamite wrote:There has been some talk about other schools bolstering their relays and potentially qualifying for Nats - but things have been quiet in the SCIAC.

My question is - with a guy going 20.22 in the 50 and another guy going 4:37 in the 500, did CMS pick up any help for these two to compete on a relay at Minnesota in March? How far off were they last year?
well they were 3:08 in the 400 FR and lost a senior who was a 46.6 in the 100 free. their 800 FR was 6:58 and didnt lose anybody and the 200 FR was 1:25.61 and they lost that same senior who was 21.2 on the relay. the 200 MR was dq'ed at their conference meet and the 400 MR was 3:33.48 and they lost the same senior in the free split and their backstroker who was 54. id say their medleys arent that likely to make it but some of the free relays could if they bring in some freshmen.
Jim Halpert: One day Michael came in, complaining about a speed bump, on the highway... I wonder who he ran over then.

Post Reply