MIAA's 2015

Moderators: Negrodamus, Diesel471, ThePlowman, Archer

facenorth

MIAA's 2015

Post by facenorth » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:43 pm

Entries are in. Time to start speculating!

Thor21
Team Affiliation: Asgard

Re: MIAA's 2015

Post by Thor21 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:16 pm

Ahhh The League Meet. So much to look forward to. Here are my speculations:

69% of the Hope Men’s team will be way too tan and the remaining 27% will not get skin cancer.
There is a 72% that Calvin will bring their plastic poles to stretch/dance with.
This will NOT be the first time that 92% of the Alma Men’s team has worn a kilt this year.
100% of Albion swimmers will be missing their pledge events.
At least one Olivet swimmer will have gotten a tattoo in the last 2 weeks, but will be swimming anyway.

…And the Kalamazoo costume chances: 6% superheros, 21% Minions, 4% Lord of the Rings, 19% Legos, 22% The Hunger Games, and the rest percent that adds up to 100 is Taylor Swift themed costumes.

Most Valuable Swimmer? A Vincent Brother? Kevin Mewing? Biggity Biggs? Under the Sea Sebastian Tostado? Or my personal favorite Mitchel “speed socket” Shhrouder?
Most Valuable Diver of the Year? Will Will Guedes keep his throne or will his Latin American counterpart Mirroralda from Hope take it away?

But on the realz I just don’t have access to a psych sheet to make up any legitimate predictions…
You ancestors called it magic...but you call it science. I come from a land where they are one and the same.

Flyinhigh
Team Affiliation: SUNY Cortland

Post by Flyinhigh » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:41 pm

Psych sheets are finally in Yay!!! (And there was much rejoicing). Lots of close races to look forward too.
Men's 50 FR top 5 is all within less than .5. Will Bosko stay in front to win it? Or will a new cast of top 5 swimmers keep him in the bottom half of top 8?
Orwin out in front for the 200 IM, but Shetterly and Scott are familiar with the event and will be looking for first with Rookus gone (what happened to her anyway?).
I don't really see anyone touching Tostado in the 200 IM. He has been a force all season. I also don't see Edsall being challenged in the 50 FR.

Schiller
Team Affiliation: Carleton

Post by Schiller » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:08 pm

A quick simulation based on median time (so no diving):
https://swimulator.herokuapp.com/confer ... edian+Time

Calvin 803
Kalamazoo 593
Hope College 576
Albion 546
Alma College 268
Olivet 178

heisenberg
Team Affiliation: Alma College

Post by heisenberg » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:11 pm

Very interesting find, Schiller. I've never seen that site before but find it interesting. I think it is obvious that it is going to be a very close race for that #2 spot. Looking at the simulation a little closer it is a bit off because it includes people swimming races that they won't be at Leagues according to the psych sheet. But very interesting. Should be a great meet. I am looking forward to diving (no pun intended) into the psych sheet a little closer this weekend and being able to give my two cents and hopefully get some conversation going on this thread.

Schiller
Team Affiliation: Carleton

Post by Schiller » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:14 pm

Tron Paul built it (I helped a bit, but it was 98% him). It doesn't look at the psych sheet. It selects events for people based on which events they are ranked the highest in the conference. This causes the individual entries to look weird sometimes, but the overall points aren't too affected by this type of error (an event a swimmer is actually doing is never replaced by an event they are ranked lower in).

sportsfanatic
Team Affiliation: Calvin College

Post by sportsfanatic » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:41 pm

Is the heat sheet posted online somewhere, or is it just floating around for the lucky few who know people running the meet?

Could someone post it here so we can start (over)analyzing it?

Flyinhigh
Team Affiliation: SUNY Cortland

Post by Flyinhigh » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:52 am

Attached is the pdf of the psych sheet no heat sheets have been made yet.
Attachments
miaapsych.pdf
(97.88 KiB) Downloaded 380 times

sportsfanatic
Team Affiliation: Calvin College

Post by sportsfanatic » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:05 am

Thanks for the psych sheet. Some interesting looking things showing up there. Solid events for most of the freshman, a few who still have choices to make. The events that Tostado swims will determine a lot, since he could win whatever 3 he swims. Not sure that Albion has enough firepower left to win any relays after losing Fio Melpolder and bateman plus parsons and boren, but Taber has gotten his guys ready to show up each of the last two years, so you can't rule them out.

Calvin made some moves into the backstroke since that's a weak event, adding stoughton to the 100. Also they poised for some massive ammounts of points in the 500 and 4im. Good grief.

The women's meet is setting up like a barnburner. If Calvin keeps their streak alive they'll have earned it and then some. The dual meet results seem to dictate a 3-way tie, but the Zoo-Calvin meet was one of Calvin's worst of the year, so it could be more about Hope-Calvin than a 3way.

Subplots Im excited to watch for: Shearer's final year after being the clear stud of his class from day 1; what kind of final chapter will he write? Can Mewing defend his 2back title from all comers, both from Michigan and Internationally? Does Will Brazil pick up where he left off as national diver of the year and teach the conference a lesson? Will Hope be shut out of a (swim) event win fro the 2nd year in a row? If not, what is most likely? Will Biggs win one for the struggling Scots? If so, what? Could Calvin win everything in the pool?? Seems like a 99.9% chance someone from the conference is going to nationals, but how many schools will hop on board the train for Texas?

Should be a heck of a good time for all!

Gaeilge
Team Affiliation: Trine

Post by Gaeilge » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:07 pm

I can't seem to find any mention of Trine's swimmers, do you guys know what happened?

facenorth

Post by facenorth » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:34 pm

Tri-State?

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Gaeilge

Post by Gaeilge » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:39 pm

It is called Trine now. The swimmers in my classes have been telling me how excited they are for the league meet, and I went to look at the times and I didn't see them. It is going to be very disappointing for them.

Gaeilge

Post by Gaeilge » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:34 am

UPDATE: I just found out that Trine doesn't even have a team! I am sorry for asking questions about it. There were some boys in my classes who told me they were on the swim team(Probably because they heard I am friendly with the athletes if you know what I mean LOL). It is too bad because I already had made plans to go to the Conference meet!

Archer

Post by Archer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:41 pm

anyone know if there will be a video stream at all?

Gaeilge

Post by Gaeilge » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:41 pm

Well I Already Have Hotel Plans, So I Might As Well Go. I Can Take My Computer And Put It On Skype If You Want.