Breastroke

Moderators: Negrodamus, Diesel471, ThePlowman, Archer

silentp
Executive Team
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Breastroke

Post by silentp » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:59 am

Nice job with all 3 miaa swimmers getting back. DeWald with an impressive 1:04.1.

Manning will be sub 56 tonight.
Frank: Look, I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.
Dee: You went to Vietnam in 1993 to open up a sweatshop!
Frank: ...and a lot of good men died in that sweatshop!

Archer

Re: Breastroke

Post by Archer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:07 am

i agree, dewald swam well. maybe she was just a lot smaller than the girl above her, but she was losing ground on each pull out and then making it up with her stroke. It looked like maybe she was also losing ground to other people in the heat. Is this something she's working on or is it just a result of being smaller than a lot of the top breaststrokers who are monsters?

silentp
Executive Team

Post by silentp » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:50 pm

Archer wrote:i agree, dewald swam well. maybe she was just a lot smaller than the girl above her, but she was losing ground on each pull out and then making it up with her stroke. It looked like maybe she was also losing ground to other people in the heat. Is this something she's working on or is it just a result of being smaller than a lot of the top breaststrokers who are monsters?
I would imagine it's a result of only being able to turn her head and look once during each pullout vs 10 times (per length) above the water.
Frank: Look, I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.

cptcrunch
Team Affiliation: Hope College

Post by cptcrunch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Archer wrote:i agree, dewald swam well. maybe she was just a lot smaller than the girl above her, but she was losing ground on each pull out and then making it up with her stroke. It looked like maybe she was also losing ground to other people in the heat. Is this something she's working on or is it just a result of being smaller than a lot of the top breaststrokers who are monsters?
This is a weird post. Because from what I have seen over my years of swimming, is that usually breast strokers are usually shorter. Which in theory does not hurt them because it is a short axis stroke, unlike freestyle, back, and fly which height can help.

Also, look at the some girls that are monsters that win events, then there are "smaller shorter girls" who can barely lift a weight but still swim fast and also win events. Not trying to bash on any women but look at even Olympians for instance. Allison Schmitt for instance is 6' 1" compared to amanda beard who is 5' 7". They are both olmypic athletes and can swim fast. And Amanda Beard is I would say very attractive.

Just saying you do not have to be a monster and tall to swim fast. You can be short and tiny, and sometimes attractive and still swim fast.

silentp
Executive Team

Post by silentp » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:57 pm

cptcrunch wrote:... usually breast strokers are usually shorter. Which in theory does not hurt them because it is a short axis stroke, unlike freestyle, back, and fly which height can help.
Really?

squintz123

Post by squintz123 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:00 pm

silentp wrote:
I would imagine it's a result of only being able to turn her head and look once during each pullout vs 10 times (per length) above the water.
I never got why people just couldn't use their peripheral vision... it's not that hard with Swedes on.
cptcrunch wrote:
This is a weird post. Because from what I have seen over my years of swimming, is that usually breast strokers are usually shorter. Which in theory does not hurt them because it is a short axis stroke, unlike freestyle, back, and fly which height can help.

Also, look at the some girls that are monsters that win events, then there are "smaller shorter girls" who can barely lift a weight but still swim fast and also win events. Not trying to bash on any women but look at even Olympians for instance. Allison Schmitt for instance is 6' 1" compared to amanda beard who is 5' 7". They are both olmypic athletes and can swim fast. And Amanda Beard is I would say very attractive.

Just saying you do not have to be a monster and tall to swim fast. You can be short and tiny, and sometimes attractive and still swim fast.
But neither of them looked tan.
Bonnie: Somebody save him, he can't swim!
Peter: Oh, he's not even kicking. Kick Joe, kick.
Lois: Peter, he's a paraplegic!
Peter: That doesn't mean he can't hear. Kick Joe, kick!

Samuel L Jackson

Post by Samuel L Jackson » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:59 pm

silentp wrote:
cptcrunch wrote:... usually breast strokers are usually shorter. Which in theory does not hurt them because it is a short axis stroke, unlike freestyle, back, and fly which height can help.
Really?
+1

sagehen1
Team Affiliation: Pomona

Post by sagehen1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:21 am

I think Chris Manning of KZoo beat Chris Manning of Auburn in the 100 breast today.

Vincent Chase
Team Affiliation: THE Alma College

Post by Vincent Chase » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:05 pm

the boss record falls.. thoughts?

Milhouse
Gold Sponsor

Post by Milhouse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:39 pm

Vincent Chase wrote:the boss record falls.. thoughts?
It stood for 10 years. That, in itself, is impressive.
STILL THE 2005 D3SWIMMING.COM FANTASY LEAGUE CHAMPION!

spobrocy1
Team Affiliation: N/A

Post by spobrocy1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:43 pm

1:58.08 is MOVIN

silentp
Executive Team

Post by silentp » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Milhouse wrote:
It stood for 10 years. That, in itself, is impressive.
Agreed. It even withstood the suit year.

Milhouse
Gold Sponsor

Post by Milhouse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:59 pm

Also, Gorton's 11-year old diving record went down.
STILL THE 2005 D3SWIMMING.COM FANTASY LEAGUE CHAMPION!

DonCheadle
Gold Sponsor

Post by DonCheadle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:25 am

Milhouse wrote:
Also, Gorton's 11-year old diving record went down.
it was complete BS. Gorton's DD was so much higher than anyone's it really would have been impossible for any of the divers at this meet to beat him in a head to head. Generous scoring, though, and suddenly two people beat him.

Boss held the record for 12 years. That is pretty sweet.
Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!

silentp
Executive Team

Post by silentp » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:49 am

DonCheadle wrote:
Milhouse wrote:Also, Gorton's 11-year old diving record went down.
it was complete BS. Gorton's DD was so much higher than anyone's it really would have been impossible for any of the divers at this meet to beat him in a head to head. Generous scoring, though, and suddenly two people beat him.
I think the only way to look at it would be margin of victory, which would be biased based on competition, but probably more accurate than scoring with different judges each year.