Rankings are dumb

Moderators: Negrodamus, Diesel471, ThePlowman, Archer

Nehemiah Ingram

Rankings are dumb

Post by Nehemiah Ingram » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:36 am

Am I the only person on here who is sick of this "all time ranking" thread? This isn't the same thing as contrasting '95 Nebraska to '01 Miami, where multiple variables come into play. Individual swimming performances are much simpler than we let on - you either went fast or you didn't. I wish we could just accept their accomplishments for what they are instead of trying to quantify them using some arbitrary model.

Despite Boss's individual accomplishments, I could argue that Fleming has been more valuable to his team due to his relay performances over the past few years. Without him, it is highly unlikely that K would have reached the same national prominence they hold today. And when he leaves, I think we will realize just how valuable he was. Does this ranking system take this into account? No. But I digress.

The thing that makes swimming fun (hell, tolerable), especially in the MIAA, is the personal element to it. Watching people go times they have no business going. Watching Bobby Dekker come back from a body length to touch out Kyle Waterstone in the last 15 yards of the 200 IM his freshman year. Bringing up painful memories to ruffle the Hope guys' feathers. :D

To me, comparing Ellis with Boss is like comparing apples to oranges, or UConn women's basketball to the legendary UCLA men's team. They just don't translate. I don't mean to discredit guys like Knoechel, Boss, Peel, etc., because I have a ton of respect for them and their achievements. But this ranking BS takes all the fun out of this forum.

iamdonovan

Re: Rankings are dumb

Post by iamdonovan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:51 am

Sounds to me like someone is upset that he's not being ranked.
damn, I'm hungry for some chunky soup

Derek
Executive Team
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Post by Derek » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:49 pm

I hate rankings. I prefer just telling the Hope guys they suck and will never be as good as K guys.

Nehemiah Ingram

Post by Nehemiah Ingram » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:59 pm

iamdonovan wrote:Sounds to me like someone is upset that he's not being ranked.

you guys are dicks. cyber bullying is illegal you know. (PS, I only spent like 26 minutes on this post)

VP2008

Post by VP2008 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:09 pm

Nehemiah Ingram wrote:

you guys are dicks. cyber bullying is illegal you know. (PS, I only spent like 26 minutes on this post)

There's a fine line...

http://www.stopcyberbullying.org/what_i ... actly.html
Shoot from the hip, ask questions later.

iamdonovan

Post by iamdonovan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:09 pm

Nehemiah Ingram wrote:

Is that because you had to be at the gym?
damn, I'm hungry for some chunky soup