All-MIAA

Moderators: Negrodamus, Diesel471, ThePlowman, Archer

Bocephus
Team Affiliation: Tha Zoo

Re: All-MIAA

Post by Bocephus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:53 pm

guynumberone wrote: The pick of Fonz is similar to Ellis on the team last year, based on the few relays/individual events swam and the number of B cuts. They really should rename it "the All-B-Cut MIAA team".
yea didnt paul get it in '07-'08 (his Soph year) when his knee blew up in the last 25 of the backstroke leg in the 400 Med?
"Not every player has a Hall of Fame career...For some of us, it just doesn’t work out due to circumstances. But to have something of a legacy, something you did that is remembered, that’s all you can hope for." -Kevin Dyson '99 Tennessee Titans

el radio

Post by el radio » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:09 am

Bocephus wrote: yea didnt paul get it in '07-'08 (his Soph year) when his knee blew up in the last 25 of the backstroke leg in the 400 Med?

if i recall at 08-09 at southbend paul hurt himself/his knee...i remember walking by him by the "coaches/timers room" with a towel over his head being very sad. I would have said something to him had he not been so angry...but im sure someone from hope wouldnt have helped his rage
"If it's any help, I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead."

guynumberone
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo

Post by guynumberone » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:46 am

Bocephus wrote:
yea didnt paul get it in '07-'08 (his Soph year) when his knee blew up in the last 25 of the backstroke leg in the 400 Med?
Good catch, I was thinking 07/08 and not 08/09. He'd been on just the 200 FR and the 400 MR before his knee went out, but 2 B cuts was enough to make it.

Stingray

Post by Stingray » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:55 pm

It was 07/08 in Holland where Paul dislocated his knee in the 4Med. And then Fonzi tweeked a Hammy at Calvin. Hmm. Maybe Kzoo should become more religious, or stop swimming at very religious places, seeing as God seems to not like that so much.

Also, I now understand All-MIAA better. B cuts get you on, but every team needs at least a token representative. And I also didn't realize Kellen got two B cuts. I was watching someone else in the backstroke events. My bad.

Low Tide

Post by Low Tide » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:57 pm

Stingray wrote:It was 07/08 in Holland where Paul dislocated his knee in the 4Med. And then Fonzi tweeked a Hammy at Calvin. Hmm. Maybe Kzoo should become more religious, or stop swimming at very religious places, seeing as God seems to not like that so much.

Also, I now understand All-MIAA better. B cuts get you on, but every team needs at least a token representative. And I also didn't realize Kellen got two B cuts. I was watching someone else in the backstroke events. My bad.
Every team having a representative is rather new I think.

Derek
Executive Team
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Post by Derek » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:10 am

I wasn't All-MIAA my freshman year. Coach Kent told me he wanted to put me on, but that he had to give the spot up to Hope even though I deserved it because we had too many on the list already. Maybe he was blowing smoke, but I've believed it all these years. My understanding based on that conversation is that these picks at the margins are political.

SwexasTim
Gold Sponsor
Team Affiliation: Hope, Alma, Albion

Post by SwexasTim » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:57 am

Every team does not automatically get one spot. That is not true. I don't think its political, though I do think every coach goes on there and makes a case for their athletes.
Words of wisdom from an unwise man.

Low Tide

Post by Low Tide » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:58 am

SwexasTim wrote:Every team does not automatically get one spot. That is not true. I don't think its political, though I do think every coach goes on there and makes a case for their athletes.
What is "there" -- I'm curious what the process is?

stiles

Post by stiles » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:55 am

I was always under the impression that it was event winners, a cuts, b cuts and that relays had no impact on the all-miaa team After that, it was a matter of the coaches talking about their swimmers.

Specifically, this is how I would understand it:

1. Event winners
2. Ind A cuts
3. multiple ind b cuts
4. single ind b cut
5. coach consensus

I don't know the answer to this question, so I throw it out to the D3 stratosphere.... are there any swimmers that would be a counter example of this formula?
Harry lives!

SwexasTim
Gold Sponsor
Team Affiliation: Hope, Alma, Albion

Post by SwexasTim » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:23 am

Coaches have a conference call.
Words of wisdom from an unwise man.

quacker
Team Affiliation: Hope College

Post by quacker » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:45 pm

stiles wrote:I was always under the impression that it was event winners, a cuts, b cuts and that relays had no impact on the all-miaa team After that, it was a matter of the coaches talking about their swimmers.

Specifically, this is how I would understand it:

1. Event winners
2. Ind A cuts
3. multiple ind b cuts
4. single ind b cut
5. coach consensus

I don't know the answer to this question, so I throw it out to the D3 stratosphere.... are there any swimmers that would be a counter example of this formula?
I can confirm that from experience. I never did any of those things and never was all-MIAA.

It must be true if it's true for me. For example: if it's cold where you are then global warming is a scientific impossibility.
d3swimming.com - "miaa alumni giving miaa swimmers bulletin board material since 2004"

Derek
Executive Team
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Post by Derek » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:06 pm

quacker wrote:It must be true if it's true for me. For example: if it's cold where you are then global warming is a scientific impossibility.
The Daily Show did this very well: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-f ... -snowstorm

TheDon

Post by TheDon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:28 pm

I get the B cut thing but analyze the following interesting case.

Kate Williams is All-MIAA - 10th in the 50, 2nd in the 100 fly with a B-cut, 7th in the 100 free.

Loren Weber not All-MIAA, 5th in the 50 (0.05 off the B-cut), 3rd in the 100 fly, 4th in the 100 free.

Add to that some awesome relay legs that allowed K relays to beat Hope in both Medleys and how long has it been since that has happened! Well, make that the 400 Medley. Loren did jump in the 200 Medley (only by -0.03) finals. But they did come back in a TT and go legally faster still later that night.

Should the single b-cut trump an otherwise more dominant overall head-to-head performance?