C heats

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman

screeeeeeeeech

C heats

Post by screeeeeeeeech » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:10 pm

Are these going to stick around for awhile? I know we've had them for 5ish years now, but when is the conference going to realize that this is college athletics, not U10 soccer where everyone gets an orange slice and a participation medal? I'm serious; I don't see how a C head adds any value to the meet at all.
Adjusting expectations: so close to 500 posts!

SkipBrainless
Team Affiliation: ESPN 8 - The Ocho

Re: C heats

Post by SkipBrainless » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:26 pm

I think if you look at other meets with C heats, in particular the NCAC, they're similarly deep and the 17-24th places are just as fast or faster. The past 5 years have only seen the boner heats get faster and faster, especially when you look at what times make top 16 in, say, the MIAA. There is a pretty strong correlation between the 16th place in many shallower conferences and the 24th place in the UAA/NCAC. Would you argue slower conferences should only go to top 8? or top 12 with heats of 6?

These conferences have 8 schools with full rosters and deep teams, the C heat is essentially serving the same role as places 12-16 in slower, less deep conferences. Is there any clamoring for the NCAC to go back to only two heats in finals?

I don't think your argument of "not adding anything to the meet" is valid. Clearly the C heat changes the dynamics of the meet. It places more emphasis on deeper teams, where the fights for 2nd,3rd,4th,5th overall are decided largely by B and C heat swimmers. It's a matter of opinion whether or not you like the emphasis on deeper teams or faster swimmers. Clearly, as Emory has proven, if you've got both, you win, every time, hands down.

swimlong
Team Affiliation: Denison

Post by swimlong » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:48 pm

And with 64 points to win a relay, you'd better watch the exchanges!

BYoung001
Team Affiliation: UChicago

Post by BYoung001 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Screeeech, I could see an argument for weighting the A heat more and the C heat less than it is currently, but the C heat is an excellent measure of the team as a whole rather than a prediction of the team's NCAA performance. It exists for the same reason we have the dual meet poll. I was thinking that UChi may have pulled off second (havent actually checked yet) if there wasn't a C heat, but before checking for proof i realized how much my team benefited from that heat when I swam there.

No one is getting ribbons for the boner heat. Unless you are complaining about a lack of warmup/down space (case, UR hosted UAAs might have this problem) there's no harm to giving someone a 2nd swim and a chance to contribute. It also gives a few minutes of extra rest for faster A-heat swims!