Team Affiliation: UChicago

2013 UAAs

Post by BYoung001 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:27 am

Info Page
http://athletics.uchicago.edu/uaa-champ ... A-2013.htm

Psych Sheet
http://athletics.uchicago.edu/sw-result ... 0psych.pdf

Prediction: (events won)
1.) Emory (2FR, 200IM, 50 Fr, 2MR, 400IM, 200Fr, 8FR, 50Fr, 200Fly, 4FR)
2.) UChi (1M, 4MR, 100Br, 100Bk, 200Br, 3M)
3.) WASHU (500Fr, 100Fly, 1650)
4.) Case
5.) CMU (200Bk)
6.) NYU
7.) Rochester
8.) Brandeis

Smack N Cheese
Team Affiliation: Case Western

Re: 2013 UAAs

Post by Smack N Cheese » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:42 pm

I am surprised no one else has responded yet. I must say there isn't a lot to argue about in your list. I am willing to bet you are right on numbers 1 and 8, and pretty confident about your 6 and 7 as well. 5 through 2 is a bit more of a toss up for me but I think my order would go like this

1. Emory
2. Chicago
3. Case
4. Wash U
5. CMU
6. NYU
7. Rochester
8. Brandeis

I think Case may have too much of an advantage in diving for Wash U. They got 2 new divers who should score pretty well as well as a returning diver who hopefully isn't coming off of a month of because of mono. If some of Case's B heat swimmers step up and make the A heat they could really challenge Chicago, but I think the loss of one of their better swimmers to a co-op is a bit too much for Case to get there this year.

BYoung001

Post by BYoung001 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 pm

Smack,

Thanks for making this a discussion! I originally had Case at #3 [Like i did last year when people thought i was crazy]. I thought the list was too boring so I decided to do a quick glance and predict team winners for each event based on last years results and this years UAA event rankings. My reasoning for Case was that they had a young team last year and performed well as predicted; however, WashU has some great strength in the distance events and should come out with some event wins. Additionally, I noticed Case lost their best breaststroker which i thought might slide them behind WashU [It will still be very close between 3-6].

In terms of events Emory isn't predicted to win, I considered that Emory will likely not be full tapering their A-cut swimmers, while UChicago will likely be fully tapered even though they have 5 guys looking safely in the meet. I just can't see Chicago risking their UAA position for NCAAs when the UAA meet has been clearly the teams focus in the past.

I don't think it will be close between Case and UChicago this year, but there are 2 things I am concerned about from Chicago
1.) Lack of Freestyle Depth
2.) Andrew Soloman - He was an absolute star before an illness at last years NCAAs and another to begin this season which likely hit his mid-season taper. If he is back in full form that will really help out the freestyle situation and possibly give Chicago another NCAA swimmer.

cpv90
Team Affiliation: Wash U

Post by cpv90 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:57 pm

I think U Chicago is the favorite for 2nd but either Wash U or Case could pass them with a great meet. It will be interesting to see which teams come out strong tomorrow.

The 500 we get to see what shape Salomon is in and should be some good points for WASH U. 50 free will show the sprint depth which will be key for relays, I don't know which of the three will hold the advantage there. 200 IM looks like U chicago should pick up some big points. Wash U is definitely going to be hurting from that diving tonight though. Ouch.

Any other thoughts for swimming day 1?

yellowtowel1
Team Affiliation: CWRU

Post by yellowtowel1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:36 am

is there no video feed this year?

also, based on the 2fr relay results, looks like they are having some problems with the take-off pads. (Several relays all registered 0.0 reaction time, including UC which got DQed).

UC DQ'ing their A 2fr relay might make the race for 2nd a lot closer

Smack N Cheese

Post by Smack N Cheese » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Anyone else have problems with the live results? The only event that shows up for me is the Women's 200 IM.

I am using this site I got from Chicago's website:
http://www.collegeswimming.us/results/21428/

cpv90

Post by cpv90 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:24 am

Well it's definitely close good day from all teams especially Carnegie. They really impressed yesterday they could be in the mix for second with another 2 days like that. Byoung you were close with your predictions but you're predictions for yesterday just flipped te 4 mr and 2 im. Looking forward to another good day of racing from the teams. Maybe we can get a relay win from a team that's not Emory today!

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Smack N Cheese

Post by Smack N Cheese » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Carnegie definitely surprised me, they swam really well yesterday. Based on what happened last year, I would any team that wants to get second needs to try to get as far ahead of Wash U as possible tonight (obviously Wash U just needs to keep it close today). The Diving should help Chicago and Case in that regard but Wash U wrecked the final day of swimming last year (I think they gained 100 points on Chicago and Case and 150 on CMU). It will be a little bit easier to tell who will end up in the best position to get second after tonight once the results from prelims goes up (They certainly were better today then yesterday on Live Results but it is still pretty sparse).

EDIT: After looking it over, it looks like CMU, Chicago and Case could all be neck-in-neck at the end of the night with Wash U well over 100 behind. CMU is definitely swimming better than I expected.

As for the non Emory relay win, I guess it mostly depends on what Emory decides to put out there, but I would think both Chicago and Wash U have a shot in the 200 Medley. Personally, I am pretty excited to see what Case throws down in the 800 free relay.

cpv90

Post by cpv90 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:07 pm

Well Carnegie is in second and in my opinion looks ready to widen that gap tomorrow. I still think all 4 teams have have a shot...
But I'm considering Carnegie the favorites. 1 more shot at a relay upset! Just don't see it in the 4 free though. Emory is just too strong

[ Post made via iPhone ]

BYoung001

Post by BYoung001 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:30 am

UChicago is in second. Case in third. Cmu 4th. But all very close. You forgot that diving is the last event on the results for the Friday session.

[ Post made via Android ]

HOOSIER77

Post by HOOSIER77 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:54 am

If you have the meet mobile app on your iPhone, results are bein posted there.

[ Post made via iPad ]

cpv90

Post by cpv90 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:36 am

Ha my bad you're right I still try to forget about those diving points. Should be really close finish tonight though.

[ Post made via iPad ]

Smack N Cheese

Post by Smack N Cheese » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:32 pm

It certainly looks like CMU is in the best position to get 2nd. I think Chicago or Case would need to swim really well, or CMU to DQ on the relay to change that (it has been happening quite a bit this year...). It could be very close between Chicago and Case for third, and I think Wash U will need a lot of help to get above 5th.

But damn, this meet is getting fast. And it definitely got a lot deeper.

swimmingSUX
Team Affiliation: Carnegie Mellon

Post by swimmingSUX » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:59 pm

I honestly don't understand all the surprised responses from CMU getting second. I think when you look past the top five spots on the rankings its pretty clear that CMU has a very deep and talented team, something that was originally overlooked.

cpv90

Post by cpv90 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:50 pm

I think your response answers itself. They were overlooked. they got 5th last year and lost some really good swimmers. I think it's more of a compliment of them then an insult to say we were surprised they got second. I was just really impressed with the way they swam they had the best meet and improvement I think.

[ Post made via iPhone ]