UAA's

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman

trout3

Re: UAA's

Post by trout3 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:50 pm

wickedfoolish wrote:
nemesis enforcer wrote:i don't see anyone challenging westby
i can see chao or lacky taking lardiere, Emory's sprint falls off after they graduated Callam '06 and awkwardly tall Sloan.
We'll see what the Dec invites bring... I don't see that in the 50 or 100, thus far... Lardiere so far has both of them beat by at least 1/2 second to this point in both of those. Also depends whether he does a conf or NCAA taper....

SkipBrainless
Team Affiliation: ESPN 8 - The Ocho

Post by SkipBrainless » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:39 pm

Looks like Leckey/Chao both might have a shot in the 50/100 at Lardiere. ALso Beyer's 1:38 makes a WashU sweep of the sprint frees very feasible. That is, if they all re-taper for UAAs and not swim through to NCAAs.

The Treat
Team Affiliation: Washington University in St. Louis

Post by The Treat » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:15 pm

SkipBrainless wrote:Looks like Leckey/Chao both might have a shot in the 50/100 at Lardiere. ALso Beyer's 1:38 makes a WashU sweep of the sprint frees very feasible. That is, if they all re-taper for UAAs and not swim through to NCAAs.
They won't retaper for UAA's.
Jim Halpert: One day Michael came in, complaining about a speed bump, on the highway... I wonder who he ran over then.

trout3

Post by trout3 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:14 am

The Treat wrote:
SkipBrainless wrote:Looks like Leckey/Chao both might have a shot in the 50/100 at Lardiere. ALso Beyer's 1:38 makes a WashU sweep of the sprint frees very feasible. That is, if they all re-taper for UAAs and not swim through to NCAAs.
In a way that's ashame. They'd be great races to watch with all tapered together. NYU did their normal untapered december meet this weekend. Even though Lardiere got all B cuts in free and fly with 100 free as a Q time, it might be unsafe for him not to taper for UAAs seeing as how fast the total field seems to be this year.

The Treat
Team Affiliation: Washington University in St. Louis

Post by The Treat » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:54 pm

trout3 wrote:
The Treat wrote:
In a way that's ashame. They'd be great races to watch with all tapered together. NYU did their normal untapered december meet this weekend. Even though Lardiere got all B cuts in free and fly with 100 free as a Q time, it might be unsafe for him not to taper for UAAs seeing as how fast the total field seems to be this year.
Nationals has always been Wash U's focus. The only way Shively would taper you for UAA's again is if the team really needed to get someone to nats on a relay and he couldn't do it without tapering someone. Even then, it'll only be a short taper.

As for Lardiere, agreed that it would be unsafe for him not to taper again. Anything but an A cut is unsafe.
Jim Halpert: One day Michael came in, complaining about a speed bump, on the highway... I wonder who he ran over then.

trout3

Post by trout3 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:09 pm

As for Lardiere, agreed that it would be unsafe for him not to taper again. Anything but an A cut is unsafe.
Let me clarify... Lardiere has not seen a taper or tech suit yet. Looks like both will be critical at UAA.

nemesis enforcer

Post by nemesis enforcer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:43 pm

wickedfoolish wrote:
No one will touch Westby, unless her teammates do.
looks like pavlack will challenge westby from in house
Nemesis- It'll get ya'

wickedfoolish
Team Affiliation: Rochester

Post by wickedfoolish » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:16 am

nemesis enforcer wrote:
wickedfoolish wrote:
No one will touch Westby, unless her teammates do.
looks like pavlack will challenge westby from in house

that is if she is still competing...London 2012... just kidding, but i havent seen her in results, where is she?
Many people think Spain is here...
On the other hand, there is a school of thought that claim Spain is here...those people too are wrong.
Where is Spain? It could be...here? here? here?

openwater

Post by openwater » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:34 pm

wickedfoolish wrote: that is if she is still competing...London 2012... just kidding, but i havent seen her in results, where is she?
From Emory's web site:
Emory University’s Claire Pavlak recorded two NCAA ‘A’ cut times and eight ‘B’ cut times at the Miami University Invitational. Pavlak recorded a pair of ‘A’ cut times in the 50-yard freestyle, swimming a mark of 23.61 seconds in the preliminaries, and 23.60 seconds in the finals, good for a third-place finish. The freshman helped set a school record as part of the 200-yard freestyle relay team, as the squad swam a ‘B’ cut time of 1:35.44. Pavlak also recorded ‘B’ cut marks in the 100-yard backstroke, the 100-yard freestyle, and as part of the 200-yard and 400-yard medley relay teams, helping the second-ranked Eagles to a fifth-place finish.
Once a competitive swimmer, you can become anything.

wickedfoolish

Post by wickedfoolish » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:54 pm

openwater wrote:
wickedfoolish wrote: that is if she is still competing...London 2012... just kidding, but i havent seen her in results, where is she?
From Emory's web site:
Emory University’s Claire Pavlak recorded two NCAA ‘A’ cut times and eight ‘B’ cut times at the Miami University Invitational. Pavlak recorded a pair of ‘A’ cut times in the 50-yard freestyle, swimming a mark of 23.61 seconds in the preliminaries, and 23.60 seconds in the finals, good for a third-place finish. The freshman helped set a school record as part of the 200-yard freestyle relay team, as the squad swam a ‘B’ cut time of 1:35.44. Pavlak also recorded ‘B’ cut marks in the 100-yard backstroke, the 100-yard freestyle, and as part of the 200-yard and 400-yard medley relay teams, helping the second-ranked Eagles to a fifth-place finish.

gee thanks, nothing about westby.
On the other hand, there is a school of thought that claim Spain is here...those people too are wrong.

openwater

Post by openwater » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:32 pm

wickedfoolish wrote:
gee thanks, nothing about westby.
Sorry - misread your question.
In November Westby was 23.73/51.69 against Georgia, 1:54 in a meet with Davidson and 58.7 in the Fly in a third meet.
Once a competitive swimmer, you can become anything.

SkipBrainless

Post by SkipBrainless » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:27 pm

Any other predictions for any other events?

Here are my guesses...

50: Lardiere
100: Lardiere
200: Chao
500: Beyer
1650: Hogan

100 fly: Stabell
200 fly: Wang

100 Back: Brown
200 Back: Dahlen

100 Breast: Hostoffer
200 Breast: Hostoffer

200 IM: Yamada
400 IM: Diggs

200 FR: Emory
400 FR: WashU
800 FR: WashU

200 Medley: Case
400 Medley: Emory

HOOSIER77

Post by HOOSIER77 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:07 am

Who Won the 100 Fly and 200 Fly Events Last year, was it Stabell and/or Wang?

wickedfoolish

Post by wickedfoolish » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:10 am

SkipBrainless wrote: 1650: Hogan

normally i'd agree, but im wondering what kinda of power play Howell is going to make. Diggs and Milburn (2 and 3 respectively at nationals in the mile last year) qualified for the mile at their midseason taper meet, BUT it isnt fast enough for the top 8, putting them somewhere in the banana heats. I know milburn crushed those heats last year, but who knows, if he had been in the big heat, would the results been different? Im sure these two seniors would like to take down a legacy, if its not the 29 year streek, why not the 16+ one. Anyways, heres what i can see howell doing:

1. let diggs and milburn set the tone in the banana heat, swim off each other, and hope Smith wont beat it. or (less likely)
2. retaper for UAAs, to qualify for a better spot, risk taper for nationals, (or really doubtful, but still a possibility)
3. rest for a jan/early feb meet for a better position, enough time for a good taper for nationals.

SkipBrainless

Post by SkipBrainless » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:11 am

HOOSIER77 wrote:Who Won the 100 Fly and 200 Fly Events Last year, was it Stabell and/or Wang?

No, John Petroff won both the 100 and 200 flys last year. But he's already been sub 50 and 1:50 this year, so I don't think he'll retaper for UAAs. Last year at UAAs he went 50.2 and 1:52, and I'm assuming those were tapered, but who really knows.

Stabell and Wang haven't made A-cuts this year, so they will probably need them, so I bet they taper for UAAs to get them. Or maybe they'll taper for an earlier meet to try and get them (like for Hogan, mentioned previously).