Women's NESCACS

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, polarbear, imJumbo

polarbear
Team Affiliation: Bowdoin

Re: Women's NESCACS

Post by polarbear » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 pm

by a fair margin. did I double count Tufts somewhere? Must have.

bobcatchronic
Team Affiliation: Bates

Post by bobcatchronic » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:44 am

This morning's finishes:

Williams - 14/6/1/0
Tufts - 7/7/4/0
Amherst - 6/6/3/3
Bates - 6/5/5/4
Bowdoin - 3/3/2/13

Williams put the hammer down this morning. It seems to me like Tufts' top swimmers (Brennan, Hufziger, Claus, Goetcheus) are still swimming well and hitting their top seeds, but the supporting cast is having a harder time.

Amherst and Bates stayed even through this morning. Bates needed to make up some ground with no diving today, but doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Bowdoin's top swimmers swam well and they have a great medley that should do well at NCAAs, but the lack of depth will kill their chances against Bates.

HamHeadCase
Team Affiliation: Hamilton

Post by HamHeadCase » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:06 pm

polarbear wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:10 pm

2. Burton's system is a little hit or miss. When they are on, they are SUPER on, but its easy to mis-time
that's a generous assessment! in other words, and like his behavior at hamilton: take credit when swimmer does well, blame swimmer (publicly) when they don't "hit" on his system :|

cantr1
Team Affiliation: Middlebury

Post by cantr1 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:13 pm

Just have to say, that amongst all the amazing swims this weekend two of the most endearing moments were the seniors leading the accapella version of The Star Spangled Banner, and on Sunday night seeing these tremendous student athletes who work so hard in the pool and in the classroom, just be girls singing and dancing to Dynamite at finals. Really great moments in a weekend of great competition.

ColbySprint
Team Affiliation: Colby College

Post by ColbySprint » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:49 am

HamHeadCase wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:06 pm
polarbear wrote:

2. Burton's system is a little hit or miss. When they are on, they are SUPER on, but its easy to mis-time
that's a generous assessment! in other words, and like his behavior at hamilton: take credit when swimmer does well, blame swimmer (publicly) when they don't "hit" on his system :|
Page swam much better in the 1k and 1650 so glad to see that at least

HamHeadCase

Post by HamHeadCase » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:33 am

ColbySprint wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:49 am
HamHeadCase wrote:
polarbear wrote:

Page swam much better in the 1k and 1650 so glad to see that at least
totally! some good swims there!! and hit the cut in the 1650! that's awesome!

Bionome1
Team Affiliation: Amherst

Post by Bionome1 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:59 pm

Does anyone know about the Amherst recruits for incoming class of 2024?

riverotter

Post by riverotter » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:13 pm

I believe they've gotten 1decent recruit thus far on the ladies side - Chelsea Liu - at least according to collegeswimming.com

https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/404238/

The "Class of 2024" thread will have the most up to date info.

polarbear

Post by polarbear » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:40 pm

HamHeadCase wrote:
polarbear wrote:

mmm . . . not quite what I meant. I know his daughter is at Hamilton, but Burton has been at Colby for 20 years now and was at Lake Forest before that, so not sure if he even was at Hamilton.

But what i was referring to was how they run super hard three week cycles and then a rest cycle - when the timing is on its great, but the timing can be tough. Some years guys come totally out of left field -- Mason Roberts comes to mind.

HamHeadCase

Post by HamHeadCase » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:05 am

polarbear wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:40 pm
HamHeadCase wrote:
polarbear wrote:

mmm . . . not quite what I meant. I know his daughter is at Hamilton, but Burton has been at Colby for 20 years now and was at Lake Forest before that, so not sure if he even was at Hamilton.

But what i was referring to was how they run super hard three week cycles and then a rest cycle - when the timing is on its great, but the timing can be tough. Some years guys come totally out of left field -- Mason Roberts comes to mind.
he certainly was at Hamilton when I was there as an assistant, and he was really kind of a dick -- he took pleasure in berating swimmers in public / or putting them down -- like that high school kid who still wanted to bully to be accepted by the cool kids. the swimmer DDD got it a few times as did JKW really really badly, after a gusty swim. Tom really liked showing what a "tuff guy" he was.

(and-- i knew what you meant, but my experiences with the guy have been nothing but negative, and for the most part we all hated him when he was assistant at Hamilton. He went there undergrad, but lord knows why Coach Thompson tolerated or was even aware of his bullshit)

polarbear

Post by polarbear » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:51 am

No bad experiences on my side. I wish them luck, I know the new pool will make them tough to face again / has already made them tough to face again.

People change a lot over the years, especially over 25 years . . . .

ColbySprint
Team Affiliation: Colby College

Post by ColbySprint » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:49 pm

He's a decent coach but doesn't work very hard. Not a knock by the way some of the coaching culture around recruiting and stuff is terrible. He's certainly has the work life balance figured out. That being said I think he could lean into recruiting a little harder.

riverotter

Post by riverotter » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:23 pm

I know one recruit looking at NESCAC schools and with Jr. National qualifying times who, early on and no doubt enamored with the prospect of a future beautiful pool, had submitted a recruiting form and then reached out not only to Burton but to the assistants as well several times and never heard boo back from anyone. Thought that the emails might be going to spam so even left a voicemail for him and still nothing. Sounds like that might have been for the best.