Just like our men’s rankings, D3swimming.com brings you its 2015-16 Women’s Preseason All-America Team. Our staff has selected a scoring team sized roster of returning swimmers who stood out at last year’s NCAA (17 swimmers and 3 divers).
There are a lot of fresh faces here with four sophomores making the cut. As far as conference strength goes, the NESCAC and ODAC tied for first in number of selections with 6 each with the NCAC not too far behind with 4. However, Emory swimmers made up the entirety of the ODAC’s selections while the other 2 aforementioned conference’s selections were split between two teams.
Left off the list but worthy of honorable mention were rising juniors Laura Duncan and Jenner McLeod who swam the breast and free legs of Kenyon’s record breaking 200 Medley Relay.
Looking forward to seeing how all of these women perform this season and what new faces will fill in the gaps left by all of the graduating seniors! And so without further ado and in no particular order…
Carolyn Kane – Denison, Junior
- Runner up in the 50 and 100 Freestyles and 6th in the 100 Fly.
Megan Pierce – Williams, Junior
- Runner-up in the 400 IM and the Mile and 5th in the 200 Fly.
Emma Waddell – Williams, Sophomore
- Won the 100 Fly by almost a second as a freshmen. Also finished 2nd in the 200 IM, 3rd in the 100 Free, and led off Williams’ 7th place 200 Free Relay.
Emily Hyde – Amherst, Senior
- Runner-up in the 100 Breast and a pair of 3rd place finishes in the 200 Breast and 200 IM.
Clare Slagel – Luther College, Senior
- Defending National Champion in the 100 Back. Also placed 3rd in the 200 Back.
Emma Paulson – St. Thomas, Junior
- 3rd, 4th, and 5th, in the 100 Back, 200 Back, and 50 Free respectively.
Elizabeth Aronoff – Emory, Senior
- Leading returner in the 200 Breast after placing 2nd last year. Paired that with a 3rd place finish in the 100 Breast.
Olivia Jackson – Williams, Junior
- Defending champ in the 200 Back also finished 6th in the 200 IM, and 9th in the 100 Back.
Annalise Kowalsky – Emory, Junior
- Placed 4th in the 200 Breast, 5th in the 200 IM, and 10th in the 100 Breast.
Mariah Williamson – Kenyon, Senior
- A pair of 4th place finishes in the Mile and the 400 IM and is the leading returner in the 500 Free.
Rebecca Upton – Emory, Sophomore
- Placed 3rd in the 500 Free, 7th in the 200 Free, and 8th in the 200 Fly.
Taylor Johns, Denison, Senior
- Followed up 6th and 12th place finishes in the 500 Free and 400 IM respectively with a 3rd place finish in the Mile.
Katherine Bennett – Williams, Senior
- Finished 2nd in the 200 Back and 4th in the 100 Back.
Ella Thompson – Emory, Senior
- Placed 5th in both backstroke events.
Claire Liu – Emory, Junior
- Sprint specialist placed 2nd in the 50 Free, 6th in the 100 Back.
Sarah Conklin – Amherst, Senior
- Top ranked returner in the 100 Fly after finishing 2nd place last year.
Ming-Fen Ong – Emory, Sophomore
- Placed 3rd and 7th in the 400 IM and 200 IM respectively as a freshman.
Maria Zarka – Kenyon, Senior
- Reigning National Champion on 1M. 3rd place finisher on 3M.
Maura Sticco-Ivins – Wellesley, Sophomore
- Won the 3M event as a freshman and followed it up with a second place finish on the 1M.
Sarah Sheridan – Hope, Senior
- 2nd and 3rd place finishes on the 3M and 1M respectively.